EJ Manuel vs AJ McCarron Last Night

EJ Manuel (who played the 1st 3 quarters): 18/22, 255 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, sacked once for 2 yards

AJ McCarron (who played the entire game): 13/34, 156 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, sacked 5 times for 30 yards. McCarron did also run for a TD inside the 10.

I (think) most of us agree that EJ Manuel isn't very good. So it's odd to me that there is all this talk about EJ Manuel being awful and Gruden needing a backup, yet the guy he thoroughly outplayed is so clearly an upgrade.

I hope the narrative catches on and the Bills CAN trade him. I just think we're over-reacting a bit to the "legendary" game against practice squad players where McCarron struggled mightily and got lucky that he was going against guys who hit him right in the face on 4th and forever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Don't be the guy that simply reads the box score to determine how good or bad a player plays.  You have watched them both and they both suck.  McCarron sucks a bit less

Normally I would say the box score doesn't tell the full story but when its this lopsided it definitely tells a story

• Like (+1) 3

I think the story it tells is that preseason game #4 doesn't mean jack squat because most of the guys playing defense won't be in the league in 2 days, nobody game plans, and nobody really cares about the outcome.

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Denver Passing

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS RTG
Paxton LynchP. Lynch 14/15 128 8.5 2 0 1-7

THAT is "legendary"

Why did McCarron throw 2 picks against Geico insurance salesman? Sure he then ended up rallying against them but the Ravens defense won't be selling homeowner's policies in 2 weeks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

EJ Manuel (who played the 1st 3 quarters): 18/22, 255 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, sacked once for 2 yards

AJ McCarron (who played the entire game): 13/34, 156 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, sacked 5 times for 30 yards. McCarron did also run for a TD inside the 10.

I (think) most of us agree that EJ Manuel isn't very good. So it's odd to me that there is all this talk about EJ Manuel being awful and Gruden needing a backup, yet the guy he thoroughly outplayed is so clearly an upgrade.

I hope the narrative catches on and the Bills CAN trade him. I just think we're over-reacting a bit to the "legendary" game against practice squad players where McCarron struggled mightily and got lucky that he was going against guys who hit him right in the face on 4th and forever.

This is a bad post. You completely left the part out that they werent playing for the same teams against the same teams. Its not even comparable.

Just now, Bill_with_it said:

This is a bad post. You completely left the part out that they werent playing for the same teams against the same teams. Its not even comparable.

True enough. The insurance salesman, car dealers, and realtors in Chicago are a LOT tougher than the ones in Seattle!

• Like (+1) 1

I would recommend a viewing of highlights from the Bills vs. Jacksonville in London from 2 years ago to remind yourself of how horrifically bad EJ is/was.

He has never performed when the bullets are live, Gruden likely knows that too.   

I think if anything it means McCarron is at or below the standards of a backup QB. I think EJ’s stat line is what a backup should put up against scrubs.

The difference is EJ is probably the second best QB on their roster (at worst it’s a coin flip between him and Cook), and McCarren is our third best. We’re setup in a decent position there, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we cut McCarron because he’ll just get in the way and he probably doesn’t want to be QB3 anyways.

31 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

But...Peterman put up good stats against scrubs...are you saying he isn't the next Tom Brady because they were scrubs?  

McCarron's opportunity just went out the same window that EJ'S did here.Granted that was a great comeback job against the bottom of the bench gang, but just like EJ, McCarron is just not good enough.  AJ just got beat out by Peterman for the Bills starting QB job

39 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

When you draw conclusions based on a single data sample (last night's game for each player) and conclude EJ is good and AJ is bad, you come across as a complete idiot.

No offense.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

McCarron sucks a bit less, but had a much worse game.

My point is that they are both awful. Even a guy who can't throw accurately and has zero pocket presence (EJ Manuel) tossed 3 TD and didn't turn it over while throwing for 250+ yards.

Who cares.  It's one preseason game. 

ej-manuel-int-2.gif?w=500&h=305

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

Ive seen McCarron play before and not crap his pants

its preseason it doesn't mean a thing.

Of course Peterman looks good so did EJ

I fear with Peterman starting things could go really well -until we get down 10 points in any game it's virtually over. 

Play with the lead  we'll could be alright...but Peterman in the gun slinging it no chance.  

Edited by CardinalScotts

The 4th preseason game is so utterly meaningless. Tyler Bray even looked good last night. That's what's scary about McCarron's performance. He is a 4 year veteran starting a game where any competent QB should be able to move the ball and he couldn't do it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1