Aaron Donald get extension, 6-year $135mm

Watkins90

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. Not my money to spend, not my place to decide. I just don't think any DT is worth 135 million. Can add 3 solid DTs with that money, and if Donald goes soft like the lengthy list of DTs before him, LA will be in cap hell for a long long long time.

that's my guess.. it's a damn trend... pay big big bucks, get little results.  As previous posters noted, the list is long.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Would he really fix the team? I don't think so. He'll cost two #1s and 125 million, we can draft/sign a lot of players with that money.

They are asking for 2 #1’s. They will never get that (especially now). My offer is 2019 2nd & 4th, McCarron and a 2020 2nd that can become a 1st. I’d think that would be a strong offer. This Donald contract takes some teams out of it.

18 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

that's my guess.. it's a damn trend... pay big big bucks, get little results.  As previous posters noted, the list is long.

..as long as advertisers pour it in to the "cash cow", why not?....where else are they going to spend those mega dollars on any given Sunday?......."I Love Lucy", "Big Valley" or "Bonanza" reruns?......maybe QVC or "Guy's Grocery Games"??....ain't no way the NFL EVER wears out this "cash cow's utters".....just keep milkin'............

52 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Would he really fix the team? I don't think so. He'll cost two #1s and 125 million, we can draft/sign a lot of players with that money.

Wouldn't do it if it was for two #1s.  No way, no how!  A #1 and a #4, plus maybe a player would be ok.

22 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

He gets his $40M bonus this year, but the 6 year extension doesn’t start until next season. So they have him for 7yrs total. Potential out for the team in 2022.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/aaron-donald-14422/

Thanks for the breakdown...

No way he sees the last 2 years of that deal.. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, QCity said:

The real story here is the beginning trend of GM's ripping up rookie contracts. That's the second one Snead has torn up this year. 

That’s not really what happened.  Donald played all 4 years under his original rookie deal.  The fifth year team option, which is much more expensive than the rookie deal, is what got “torn up”.  Mack, who was drafted the same year and is the same age as Donald, is making the same play—so far, without success.

Edited by mannc

5 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Well, we are talking about elite deals. Rodgers, OBJ and Donald are each at different points in their career, but all three have HOF traits and production. 

In 4 years, they'll each be bargains. 

It wasn't a bargain when Haynesworth got a similar deal nearly a decade ago. This deal won't look good 20 years from now even if he maintains current production. It's just an insane amount of the cap to give up for 1 player and all but ensures all their depth will have to be rookie or vet minimum deals.

10 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Cap keeps going up and they will not being paying Suh, Talib and Whitford then. That's ~$35 million right there. 

Makes me wonder who we are paying?  We must be close to $100 million under the cap. I know McCoy gets paid well for a RB but RB money isn't stupid like QB, DE or WR.

10 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....exactly the way I think McBeane will approach "the build"...even with $85+ mil in the cookie jar for 2019, just don't see him as the "big splash type (prolly wrong)"...

...LOL....nobody's neck came close to Ashton Youboty......could play horseshoes 'round that bad boy........ringer every time....

When I think of that , I would think his neck was skinny.