The NFL Should Extend Pre-Season with a Fifth Game

None of us have a clue which players are ready for real games (when the real bullets fly). Many agree with me - that I still don’t have a handle on Austin Prohl or whether Chandler should stay or be replaced by Croom. Reilly busted a rib - I bet he wished he had another game to showcase his talents and become acclimated to NFL games. It makes sense to many of us and would, in fact, cut down on injuries as the older players’ bodies would become acclimated to contact after a long off season. 

Extend the Pre-season by one more week and let the coaches and GM’s do their jobs evaluating talent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

None of us have a clue which players are ready for real games (when the real bullets fly). Many agree with me - that I still don’t have a handle on Austin Prohl or whether Chandler should stay or be replaced by Croom. Reilly busted a rib - I bet he wished he had another game to showcase his talents and become acclimated to NFL games. It makes sense to many of us and would, in fact, cut down on injuries as the older players’ bodies would become acclimated to contact after a long off season. 

Extend the Pre-season by one more week and let the coaches and GM’s do their jobs evaluating talent. 

...why not just go back to the old way of incremental cuts versus 90 to 53?.............

• Like (+1) 2

lollll good luck getting that to fly with the players

Your argument is completely hindsight, with no foresight to realize that simply more people would be injured for the 5th game, and you'd be making the same argument for needing 6 preseason games instead

What would be better, is elongate the season.  60 players on the roster, 2-3 preseason games, 17 games, 2 bye weeks

Edited by Laughing Coffin
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...why not just go back to the old way of incremental cuts versus 90 to 53?.............

That doesn’t address guys who have busted ribs and need to miss three games. 

4 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

lollll good luck getting that to fly with the players

Your argument is completely hindsight, with no foresight to realize that simply more people would be injured for the 5th game, and you'd be making the same argument for needing 6 preseason games instead

Your argument fails...I’d bet good money that the guys on the lower end of the 90 player roster would love to play another one or two games to prove themselves. Hey, look at it this way, you don’t have to watch. Plus, all the veterans who you’re concerned about don’t even play. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

6 preseason games like the old days!!!

Was it 6? I didn’t realize that. 

Edited by BringBackFergy

11 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I was more in favor of the 18 game preseason and the 2 game regular season. I like to be 100% sure if all 53 guys on the roster are ready.

Edited by Starr Almighty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ugh. Rip my finger nails out one by one but don't subject America to more of these exhibitions. If they don't know after OTA's, mandatory mini camps and what seems like an eternity of training camp well shame on them. This isn't rocket science.

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

6 preseason games like the old days!!!

...how 'bout a 17 round draft again?....go back to the 1971 intrigue of Don "The Human Bowling Ball" Nottingham waiting until #441 in round 17......imagine WNY alcohol sales?......

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...how 'bout a 17 round draft again?....go back to the 1971 intrigue of Don "The Human Bowling Ball" Nottingham waiting until #441 in round 17......imagine WNY alcohol sales?......

Great!  17 rounds in 17 days! 

• Haha (+1) 2