Trump Wants To Regulate Google

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Twitter is all in on Trump losing and the House and Senate going blue. They are literally betting the survival of all social media as a platform and not a publisher on this. If the House flips back it will be with Rs that support Trump (instead of those gems that "retired" in 2018). It is like holding a  ? in your hand and hoping it does not go off. If I was Markie Z I'd be beefing up to smack Jack around and stop the nonsense, or, at the very least, make it less blatant.

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

More on the continuing tiktok saga:

Walmart is teaming up with Microsoft on TikTok bid

Walmart confirmed it’s teaming up with Microsoft in a bid for TikTok.
The app is nearing an agreement to sell its U.S., Canadian, Australian and New Zealand operations in a deal that’s likely to be in the $20 billion to $30 billion range, sources say.
  In a statement, the big-box retailer said TikTok’s integration of e-commerce and advertising “is a clear benefit to creators and users in those markets.”

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/19/2020 at 5:07 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

Twitter is all in on Trump losing and the House and Senate going blue. They are literally betting the survival of all social media as a platform and not a publisher on this. If the House flips back it will be with Rs that support Trump (instead of those gems that "retired" in 2018). It is like holding a  ? in your hand and hoping it does not go off. If I was Markie Z I'd be beefing up to smack Jack around and stop the nonsense, or, at the very least, make it less blatant.

??? Maybe he could stop lying? Just because you idiots eat up all his lies, doesn’t mean everyone else has to! 

• Haha (+1) 1

State Department to release memos detailing illegal social media monitoring of Americans

Memos to be released under FOIA will show effort to monitor social media of Fox News personalities Hannity, Ingraham and Dobbs, as well as president's son Don. Jr.

The State Department has agreed to release memos showing officials in its Kiev embassy illegally monitored 13 Americans' social media accounts during last year's Ukraine scandal, including President Trump's eldest son, Don Jr., and Fox News personalities Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham and Lou Dobbs, Just the News has learned.

The memos are being turned over to the conservative watchdog group Judicial Watch under the Freedom of Information Act, multiple sources confirmed Tuesday.

The memos will show that the U.S. embassy in Kiev, under then-Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch, began monitoring the social media accounts of the targets in March 2019 as early stories about the embassy's activities and Joe Biden's son Hunter emerged at The Hill newspaper (written by this reporter) and on Fox News, the sources said. This reporter was one of the 13 individuals on the list targeted, the sources said.

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 3

On 8/29/2018 at 5:55 PM, Tiberius said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/kudlow-says-white-house-taking-a-look-at-regulating-google-searches-2018-08-28

Another move towards East German style government. Any word of outrage from Libertarians? 

Just a conservative but I can tell you it's Constitutional. All monopolies pose a threat to democracy. 

If one newspaper dominated 80% of the news I would say the same thing. 

Also, all of these companies already get exemptions from lawsuits as neutral 3rd parties in theory. They've broken that with absolute proof. They should not be immune from lawsuits then. 

You can't claim "we're private" in one breath and ask for gov't immunity in another. 

Next, if you're a progressive why do you like the biggest corporations and the biggest lobby groups? 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, BillsToast said:

Just a conservative but I can tell you it's Constitutional. All monopolies pose a threat to democracy. 

If one newspaper dominated 80% of the news I would say the same thing. 

Also, all of these companies already get exemptions from lawsuits as neutral 3rd parties in theory. They've broken that with absolute proof. They should not be immune from lawsuits then. 

You can't claim "we're private" in one breath and ask for gov't immunity in another. 

Next, if you're a progressive why do you like the biggest corporations and the biggest lobby groups? 

I'm figuring this is a rhetorical question.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hedge said:

Or maybe not...

People familiar with the matter told Reuters that ByteDance abandoned the sale of TikTok in the United States and decided to pursue a partnership with Oracle in hopes of avoiding a U.S. ban while appeasing the Chinese government.

I did a search just for "Trump" and look what pops up! 

2 hours ago - President Donald Trump offered a glaring new example of his refusal to put medical science before politics with a large indoor rally Sunday ...

And I did "Trump virus" and look at this!!! 

As Trump played down virus, health experts' alarm grew. By KEVIN FREKINGyesterday. WASHINGTON (AP) — Public health officials were already warning ...
'Deadly stuff': Trump's own words bring focus back to virus. By ZEKE MILLERSeptember 9, 2020. WASHINGTON (AP) — Try as he might to change the subject, ...
President Donald Trump has argued it is "a badge of honour" that the US has the world's highest number of confirmed Covid-19 infections. "I look at that as, in a ...
4 days ago - President Trump told reporter Bob Woodward he knew Covid-19 was deadly but wanted to avoid a panic.

Twitter, Google, Facebook/Instagram, Two Bills Drive - what do these services have in common?

They are private businesses. They are not public services.

They don't like what you're posting (or what their search results are revealing), start your own damn service.

I thought all the whiners were taking their talents to something called Parler. What happened to that?

14 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Twitter, Google, Facebook/Instagram, Two Bills Drive - what do these services have in common?

They don't like what you're posting (or what their search results are revealing), start your own damn service.

I thought all the whiners were taking their talents to something called Parler. What happened to that?

Absolutely correct, which is why they should be stripped of the provider immunity from suit the government provides them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Absolutely correct, which is why they should be stripped of the provider immunity from suit the government provides them.

Yup!!! If you provide a public service to the public, in a public forum you should be subject to those same Constitutional rules the public is subject to.

14 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

As soon as those companies are treated as the publishers of information that they are, the complaints about censorship can go away.

• Thank you (+1) 1