What areas of the team has Beane actually improved?

Yeezus

Brandon Beane came into this organization and shook up the roster more than any other past GM's I can think of. He made several headline trades that saw some of our best young talent getting shipped away for draft picks

It was risky but we needed the draft picks. 2 years later he got his QB and this is the squad we are left with. Holes everywhere on the squad. 

I love Mcdermott as a HC, I think given what he had to work with last season he did very well. But I'm not at all sold on Beane like 90% of this fanbase. I truly don't understand what he has done to improve this team in the last 2 years. Roster turnover is rather quick in the NFL. This isn't hockey or the NBA where we have to wait for years until a young core of players develops into elite talent. Beane traded away some of our best players and has yet to replace them. 2nd offseason in a row he has completely ignored the oline and we now objectively have the worst oline in the league. 

I can only think of the RB's and safety position groups that have improved since the Rex era. Our LB's are some of the worst in the league, Dline and the pass rush has disappeared, and our top ranked rush offense is no more.  

This season doesn't count, and shouldn't. But we are realistically 2-3 years away from competing. Beane has a lot of work to do next offseason. 

1 minute ago, MJS said:

We made the playoffs. Can't argue with results.

we were also ranked middle of the pack in almost every defensive category and ranked dead last in passing stats. 

Like I said Mcdermott accomplished a lot with the roster he had. we made a panic trade by getting KB, and when Darius left our run defense went down the drain. 

I prefer Beane over McDermott actually. This is a gross over exaggeration, but I think McDermott believes he can force feed conservative football on his opponents and he thinks he’s clever when he burns timeouts after seeing what formation the offense is in on crucial third downs.

Beane seems to me to be part of a newer generation of league executives that truly leaves no stone left unturned. I haven’t agreed with all of his moves, but he’s active and nothing that he has done so far leaves me to believe he’s going to just sit tight with a sub par offensive line. There was a lot of deadweight left over from the previous regime, and he’s impressed in getting rid of it this far.

• Like (+1) 3

Give it a rest man... again its preseason!

You are either working yourself up in a tizzy over preseason, or you are super bored. 

At the moment, its the equivlant of having a self portrat done and as soon as the circle for the head is drawn - you complain it looks nothing like you.

Its a shame all the level headed even folks get drowned out w stuff like this. Just give it a rest!

All week i thgt it was funny all these media pundits were manning up and admitting they were wrong about allen. Based on 2 preseason games?

Now are they all going to flip again and say they were right all along?

You frequent this forum, so you are aware this is a work in progress. 

You watched the game, so im sure you heard the whole dead cap $$ thing this year before the skies open next yr.

I feel like 75% of the fans are cool with a year of learning and developing in the name of future progress. 

Why are the other 25% so damn loud???

I dont understand how there is awareness to be this bothered where a post like this is written but yet the awareness to see the forrest through the trees is absent...

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 3

Age? The team is Younger now IIRC

Lets wait to see what they look like when the results matter. The Superbowl Champs were shut out by the Browns in a 5-0 game this week.

Lets not judge this team off of some preseason football. Its not like good teams have never looked bad in preseason, and bad teams ever looked really good in the preseason (Its been the only place the Browns have gotten wins the last few seasons)

Agree with most of this but I don't really get why everyone is in love with McDermott. We got really lucky last year in a weak year for the AFC.

He's just another in the long line of dinosaurs who will never have the balls to win anything big in this league. Playing it safe by punting on 4th and short near midfield in a meaningless preseason game when you are still in evaluation mode is just another example of how clueless this guy is. We're going nowhere with these two in charge. 

Edited by QB Bills

1 minute ago, MJS said:

We made the playoffs. Can't argue with results.

Cherish the memory of the playoffs, dude, because you're not likely to have any new ones in the near future.   Contrary to some fans' fantasies, 2019 doesn't look the year the Bills "put it all together" and dominate the AFCE ... or even 2020.

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Did you prefer Whaley?

Whaley made a lot of solid moves, he was unlucky and had to deal with EJ. 

He brought us Richie, Jerry Hughes, Lorenzo, Shady. He really tried to improve this team but had no QB and a disaster of a coaching staff that Pegula hired. 

• Like (+1) 7

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Did you prefer Whaley?

"Preferred" is the wrong word.  I think there is no question that Beane is a more complete GM...he is not depending upon Jim Overdorf to teach him cap management, he has his own ideas and tells Overdorf what he wants.  He is also far more polished and comfortable dealing with the press.

But Whaley did recognize and bring in talent, as witnessed by the fact that so many of the players he drafted are starters or contributors on other NFL teams, including last year's playoff teams.  People like to rag on him, but his downfall really was trying to adapt his roster to 3 different coaching schemes IMHO.

It is yet to be determined if Beane will be as successful in bringing in talent.... Vlad Ducasse, Russ Bodine, Mike Tolbert, Jordan Matthews, and Vonte Davis leave me underwhelmed so far.  He has a clear pattern of wanting to "swing for the fences" with sky-high ceiling/high risk/low floor guys (eg Allen, Edmunds) over "safer" picks.  He's left gimondulous holes on OL and WR in part due to the players he's brought in/drafted not panning out (eg Ducasse, Bodine, Zay Jones, Jordan Matthews). 

We'll see.

Edit: although I'm frightened by the posters with whom I seem to be in agreement.  Yikes!

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

At the end of the day Beane and Mcdermotts future will directly relate to the success  of the Jets/Darnold and who takes over the division after Brady retires. 

If in 2 years Allen is struggling while the other QB's from his class are having success they will be gone. 

Beane and McD tore down completely what was here before and there was not enough cap space because of the dead money or draft picks to make significant enough additions for this season through free agency or the draft.  

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Not gunna throw anything but can I ask why?

Sure. Seems like while they both mismanaged the cap at times Whaley had the eye. His problem as a GM was that he was more of a scout. I envision his job as the HC saying I need a guy who can do this thing. And Whaley instantly knowing Corey Graham, Zach Brown, Nikel Robeys. He just had a knack for the unheard of people who just worked. I could be argued down but faith and all these corny mantras didn't exist. For those people who really liked Jim Schwartz, he was pushing for Hue Jackson who would have tried to keep Schwartz on. OK Hue has been pretty bad, but where is Rex? I just feel like he wanted better FB players and was prepped to sacrifice the content of team character.

Beane and McD seem to want to win. But the right way. And so far 2 offseasons this has been pretty bad. The mismanagement of draft picks, no attempt to fortify a line where are the wrs? I am just having a tough time trusting this process.

• Like (+1) 2