Per WR John Brown, he turned down a 3 yr deal from Bills

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, tbarg12 said:

I think if Terelle Pryor has a resurgence in production the rest of this season, that might help with trying to get some FA receivers in next off season.

A lot will depend on when/if Allen gets back on the field this season. If he gets back for 5-6 games, and shows some progress and the offense (and his stats)  improve, things end on a high note as to whether WRs might have any interest playing with him. It’s the one position that is so dependent on the Qb to be productive. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/24/2018 at 11:22 PM, Lfod said:

The Bills are going to be good anyway. 

When? 2019, I'm not so sure. Too many holes on O, we are still unsure if the system works and we are not set at QB. Allen leading us to the playoffs in year 2 is a stretch. He's not Mahomes. 2020. Depends if the defense holds up. We see this all the time, we are good on one side of the ball, then when we fix the other side, the first side regresses. 

The last time we were good on both sides of the ball was the glory years from '89-'93. We can only pray that we leave the glory-hole years soon.

Well that is exactly the offer I was begging them to offer Brown. A multi-year deal a little bit higher than market value but he went for the prove it deal. Assuming he continues to be productive for the rest of the season he is going to get overpaid. 

3 for 21 would have been great. Paying this guy 10-13 million a year will end up looking bad for whoever chooses to do it. Look elsewhere.

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I think his market value will be 12,13 mil so if we want Tyrell were gonna have to overpay. 15-16mil per.

that's fine. sammy got 16 mil and overpaid but it doesn't matter now cause they're winning and he's at least putting up decent numbers.  

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not the completion percentage per se that's the deal breaker - Allen has had enough on target balls dropped to call that it should be better

It's the average of under 30 pass attempts and under 140 yards per game that are deal breakers so far

does it not stand to reason that if some of those balls were not dropped that the PA's and YPG would increase?

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:32 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting. He’s looked really good for the Ravens so far. Bills were definitely trying to get some speed at the position. Decent FA WRs are just always going to be a very tough sell until the QB position is solidified. 

That or he wanted to take a one year deal and hopefully have an outstanding season and then get a big money deal afterwards.

38 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t believe that they value speed enough (Brown would have been an exception). When you lack talent, as it is clear our offense was going to, you need to make some big plays. If you are going to compete you need the occasional 80 yard slant or 75 yard bomb. One big play in the Texans and Patriots game and this team may be 4-3. That was always my Goodwin argument. This team doesn’t need more guys to catch 6 yard crosses. They need a guy that can take 4 of those a year to the house.

When you stink on offense, you shouldn’t be trying to put together 15 play drives. That isn’t going to ever consistently happen. The talent isn’t there. You need to hope for the occasional play of 40 plus to get you in scoring range. The Bills don’t have guys to make those plays. That is a massive indictment on the FO when they drafted the big armed QB. 

With Daboll coming from the NE background I do wonder if all we're in store for is a bunch of slot guys at WR.

6 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

You can't over pay for free agents cause according to most fans thats what puts you in cap hell and your back to where you started. 

If you overpay for every FA and don’t structure the contracts well, yes. When you have no money dedicated to one position group and can’t obtain a decent experienced player for that group without doing so due to current circumstances, it doesn’t lead to cap hell to overpay one WR.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And that is why this thread was resurrected......  The Bills will need to grossly over pay for any skilled position player.  The cap space argument will mean nothing if not spent or spent overpaying mediocre players.

The more this Offense continues this direction the harder it will be to fix.

Everyone is grossly overpaying for skill positions players now.  The Bills might have to offer a half million a year more or maybe a couple more million guaranteed but it won't be a lot more than others are paying.

The QB situation, the horrid weather and no dome. As far as offensive coaches go we have to be dead last in the NFL. McD has no clue about offense. The talent is bad but Daboll's play calling is just putrid. Castillo is the worst O-Line coach and not one player has developed under his teachings. Low level coaches who also need to go are David Culley, Andrew Dees, Chad Hall, Terry Robiskie, Kelly Skipper, Shea Tierney. I'm sorry but when your offense is this bad when the rules make it so easy for offense's to score everyone needs to go. You need to pull the weed out with all the roots to make sure the crap doesn't come back. There is no excuse for this offense to be compared with the worst offense's of all time, everyone needs to be fired that has anything to do with offense. 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

With Daboll coming from the NE background I do wonder if all we're in store for is a bunch of slot guys at WR.

That’s what the route combinations look like to me. The only thing is they are running out Brady, Edelman, Gronk, Gordon, White, Hogan, etc... They have guys to get open. They can consistently sustain 15 play drives. I’m not sure, with Allen’s acccuracy, that will ever be our game. For him to be successful it needs to look more like the Steelers or Lions offenses. You don’t need to make as many plays but you need to make them 15 yards down the field instead of 6. I hope Daboll understands that.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s what the route combinations look like to me. The only thing is they are running out Brady, Edelman, Gronk, Gordon, White, Hogan, etc... They have guys to get open. They can consistently sustain 15 play drives. I’m not sure, with Allen’s acccuracy, that will ever be our game. For him to be successful it needs to look more like the Steelers or Lions offenses. You don’t need to make as many plays but you need to make them 15 yards down the field instead of 6. I hope Daboll understands that.

That's part of why I was shocked when they said Allen and not Rosen!

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

NE does have Dorsett but he’s a FA this year and no way they pay him imo. I wonder if that’s a guy the Bills could use. He’s been underwhelming obviously thus far but he’s fast and we are desperate. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

NE does have Dorsett but he’s a FA this year and no way they pay him imo. I wonder if that’s a guy the Bills could use. He’s been underwhelming obviously thus far but he’s fast and we are desperate. 

I meant that as a comment more towards their previous WR corps' (Welker, Edelman, Amendola, Hogan)

57 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t believe that they value speed enough (Brown would have been an exception). When you lack talent, as it is clear our offense was going to, you need to make some big plays. If you are going to compete you need the occasional 80 yard slant or 75 yard bomb. One big play in the Texans and Patriots game and this team may be 4-3. That was always my Goodwin argument. This team doesn’t need more guys to catch 6 yard crosses. They need a guy that can take 4 of those a year to the house.

When you stink on offense, you shouldn’t be trying to put together 15 play drives. That isn’t going to ever consistently happen. The talent isn’t there. You need to hope for the occasional play of 40 plus to get you in scoring range. The Bills don’t have guys to make those plays. That is a massive indictment on the FO when they drafted the big armed QB. 

Exactly...........not having a deep threat last season was terribly damaging to the offense and yet they came into this year AGAIN without one.    

People like Yolo can sit here and make kind excuses for them but it was pretty inexcusable in 2017...........and then to let it happen again in 2018?    

Finding a deep threat WR isn't like finding a QB........they are always out there. 

The instances where they seem to lack common football sense is what gives rational fans pause about these guys.

I don't think they are actually oblivious to the issues....... but it seems that way because there had been a lack of urgency that had perhaps enabled them to be less aggressive wrt filling basic needs NOW.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

A lot will depend on when/if Allen gets back on the field this season. If he gets back for 5-6 games, and shows some progress and the offense (and his stats)  improve, things end on a high note as to whether WRs might have any interest playing with him. It’s the one position that is so dependent on the Qb to be productive. 

I can definitely agree with that, hopefully Allen can come back after the bye if not sooner. 

44 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

When the Bills drafted the big arm qb they were well aware that he was a project and that it was going to take time to get a return on him. That's not an unusual development because it is the norm for most rookie qbs, even tor top of the shelf prospects. They felt that of the qbs that were available to us in this draft that he would be the be the best qb in the long for them.There was an expectation that Josh was not going to be immediately ready. 

My understanding is that the Bills did make a serious effort to get Brown. But there comes a point that if the talent level doesn't match the amount of money that is warranted for a caliber of player like him. Even if the Bills would have offered him a little more money it is not surprising that he decided to go to Baltimore. Their qb situation was overwhelming better than it was in Buffalo. That certainly is an influential factor to sign there and not here. 

Whether one agrees with the McBeane robust rebuild approach or not that is the approach that is being taken. There is no hidden agenda here. It is a full scale rebuild in which all the holes that now exist because of the aggressive jettisoning of pre-regime players and contracts will have to be attended to. There is no way that all of our deficiencies were going to be filled in one or two offseasons.  

When you take a certain road you take that road and deal with the unavoidable expected bumps the best you can.