Per WR John Brown, he turned down a 3 yr deal from Bills

YoloinOhio

It's going to be very hard to sign talent to a team without an NFL caliber QB. $90M in cap space doesn't mean *****, if no one thinks you can win. You'll end up overpaying or ending up with guys that are just there for the paycheck and don't give a *****.  I forgot we have a ton of picks in the 5th, 6th & 7th rounds, that's where the talent lives. I'm so pissed in the direction of the team, we get one brief sense of success and enjoyment by backing into the playoffs and we can already see another long drought. 

Edited by uticaclub
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

If they hit the market make Enunwa and Tyler Boyd rich (yes, overpay if you have to but within reason). Then draft N'Keal Harry with the first pick (assuming Bosa and Oliver are off the board). Add Zay to that complement and your receiving worries are over.

I like this plan. I think they have a shot at overpaying for a #2 WR whose team likely won’t pony up for ... j think they have a better chance at Boyd than enunwa just looking at the teams they are in now. The bengals have a history of drafting WRs to put around AJ Green and then letting them leave in FA and drafting new ones. They only pay him. Not really a bad strategy but one we could benefit from. With the Jets they aren’t really paying any WRs right now and enunwa has been Darnold’s favorite target so I anticipate they will pay him. I think Sanu could be an option from Atlanta and any WR on the Chargers not named Keenan Allen or Mike Williams. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

If they hit the market make Enunwa and Tyler Boyd rich (yes, overpay if you have to but within reason). Then draft N'Keal Harry with the first pick (assuming Bosa and Oliver are off the board). Add Zay to that complement and your receiving worries are over.

Tyler Boyd isn't an FA this year. His rookie deal goes through 2019.

51 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When the Bills drafted the big arm qb they were well aware that he was a project and that it was going to take time to get a return on him. That's not an unusual development because it is the norm for most rookie qbs, even tor top of the shelf prospects. They felt that of the qbs that were available to us in this draft that he would be the be the best qb in the long for them.There was an expectation that Josh was not going to be immediately ready. 

My understanding is that the Bills did make a serious effort to get Brown. But there comes a point that if the talent level doesn't match the amount of money that is warranted for a caliber of player like him. Even if the Bills would have offered him a little more money it is not surprising that he decided to go to Baltimore. Their qb situation was overwhelming better than it was in Buffalo. That certainly is an influential factor to sign there and not here. 

Whether one agrees with the McBeane robust rebuild approach or not that is the approach that is being taken. There is no hidden agenda here. It is a full scale rebuild in which all the holes that now exist because of the aggressive jettisoning of pre-regime players and contracts will have to be attended to. There is no way that all of our deficiencies were going to be filled in one or two offseasons.  

When you take a certain road you take that road and deal with the unavoidable expected bumps the best you can. 

If that’s the case why in the world would they be comfortable with Peterman as the only other option? It’s chicken or egg. If the plan was “Josh needs time” then they had to have a viable option to give him time. Instead he was able to sit 1 half because of the mismanagement of the QB position. That’s not unexpected, that’s negligence. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Ha I see that now. Thnx. Wonder why I thought he was UFA in 2019. My bad. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought that too ... 

I brought him up as a potential trade target in another thread because he had another year still left on his deal. I'm sure others brought him up as well.

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If that’s the case why in the world would they be comfortable with Peterman as the only other option? It’s chicken or egg. If the plan was “Josh needs time” then they had to have a viable option to give him time. Instead he was able to sit 1 half because of the mismanagement of the QB position. That’s not unexpected, that’s negligence. 

Exactly.  If you take the least ready to play of the top tier QB’s, you gotta have a better plan at QB than McCarron and Peterman.  Free Agents aren’t stupid.  Going after a backup like McCarron in free agency instead of Keenum or even McCown or even keeping Tyrod tipped Bills hand to free agents they planned on starting the rookie QB early.  Cleveland and the Jets drafted the more ready to play QB’s yet still had the better plan at QB behind them.  IMO McBeane got overconfident with their tanking strategy turning into a playoff birth last year.  So they traded Tyrod and signed McCarron on the cheap to go with Peterman.  Can’t do that with the QB position and now we have the worst offense NFL has seen in at least a decade.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The mistake that was made was in thinking that McCarron could have been a temporary viable option. He wasn't. And to compound the issue McCarron made it clear when he was here that he wasn't interested in mentoring the rookie. So he was dealt. As much as people rag on Peterman he did beat out McCarron when they were competing against one another. Peterman is a backup at best. He was moved up as a starter because of  injuries to the two qbs ahead of him. Any team, not just Buffalo, is going to be in trouble when they have to resort to their third option at qb. 

I wish for the near future  that the Peterman neurosis stops. The raging spleen busting animus toward him is out of proportion to his role. I am expecting him to play adequately in the game against Chicago. That will disappoint many fans who are invested in his failure. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I wanted us to sign, Fitz - he would have been perfect

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The mistake that was made was in thinking that McCarron could have been a temporary viable option. He wasn't. And to compound the issue McCarron made it clear when he was here that he wasn't interested in mentoring the rookie. So he was dealt. As much as people rag on Peterman he did beat out McCarron when they were competing against one another. Peterman is a backup at best. He was moved up as a starter because of  injuries to the two qbs ahead of him. Any team, not just Buffalo, is going to be in trouble when they have to resort to their third option at qb. 

I wish for the near future  that the Peterman neurosis stops. The raging spleen busting animus toward him is out of proportion to his role. I am expecting him to play adequately in the game against Chicago. That will disappoint many fans who are invested in his failure. 

I have absolutely no clue what you have seen to come to that sort of expectation. "disappoint" isn't the word for me "surprise" would be a good one though. 

its inexcusable that after last year and week 1 of this year that he was ever in a position to see another snap. i'm not mad at peterman for that though. that starts way above him.

• Like (+1) 1