Per WR John Brown, he turned down a 3 yr deal from Bills

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

He's been good this year? can't be, I heard McBeane can't spot talent on offense.....

Right? Sadly, as we’ve often discussed , it’s likely been near impossible for them to get any decent FA WRs to be interested in playing fur the Bills. There is a lot we can find to criticize but the “why haven’t they signed any better WRs” isn’t really one. Imo. Hopefully that will change at some point. Even if you think they can try to sell WRs this year on Allen’s arm/potential, they didn’t even have that card to pull last FA because FA came before the draft. 

Though they didn’t make any trades for WR before the deadline, I could see them making one in the offseason similar to what the Browns did with Jarvis Landry. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The reality is we are going to have to significantly overpay for free agent WRs. We are the least ideal situation in the NFL. As an example, how much more will we have to pay Golden Tate than the Eagles to get him to move? Trades and the draft are likely better options to find your number 1 & 2 receivers at this point. Maybe they get lucky and Pryor fills the number 2 role with Zay as the 3? 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The reality is we are going to have to significantly overpay for free agent WRs. We are the least ideal situation in the NFL. As an example, how much more will we have to pay Golden Tate than the Eagles to get him to move? Trades and the draft are likely better options to find your number 1 & 2 receivers at this point. Maybe they get lucky and Pryor fills the number 2 role with Zay as the 3? 

I’m ok with overpaying at that position. They don’t really have a choice if they want to bring in a talented/ experienced vet and they will have little dedicated to that position group as a % of the cap once KB is gone. The reality is that everyone overpays in FA to some degree but some teams have to do it even more. I don’t foresee the bills needing to do it at every position, but this this one they will and deservedly so. It will be similar to when the Browns overpaid to trade for and sign Jarvis Landry. It was the only way they were going to acquire a player like that at WR.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He would be a fantastic downfield threat for Allen 

The Bills offered him a contract and he chose the Ravens.  I don't see why he'd change his mind.  Move on to someone else.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

He didn't want to sign before, why would he now?

They would need to offer the most money.  He’s playing to get paid. He wasn’t a big time FA last year so his goal was to go to the place where he had the best chance to put up big #s and then potentially launch him into a more lucrative contract the next time around. That’s why he only wanted the 1 year deal. Obviously I don’t know if he would sign here, but they would need to overpay to some degree.

And that is why this thread was resurrected......  The Bills will need to grossly over pay for any skilled position player.  The cap space argument will mean nothing if not spent or spent overpaying mediocre players.

The more this Offense continues this direction the harder it will be to fix.

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And that is why this thread was resurrected......  The Bills will need to grossly over pay for any skilled position player.  The cap space argument will mean nothing if not spent or spent overpaying mediocre players.

The more this Offense continues this direction the harder it will be to fix.

I don’t think it’s that big of an issue if you only overpay one or two guys. I think “mediocre” is an odd term. All that matters is if that player can help you improve at s position of need. Everyone said the Browns overpaid for Landry but they had the money and the need and now they have the player. I would overpay for one WR and one OL. They don’t need to overpay at every position. It’s either that or don’t obtain vet talent at certain positions and stay bad.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

So McBeane has no responsibility for scaring away any decent free agent WR because of the dumpster fire at QB?  

This was FA 2018... he hasn’t even had his 1st draft. It was his first FA. He was getting ready to draft his QB. The FA WRs had no idea who the Qb would be yet due to timing. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

This was FA 2018... he hasn’t even had his 1st draft. It was his first FA. He was getting ready to draft his QB. The FA WRs had no idea who the Qb would be yet due to timing. 

You and your crazy balanced, logical arguments....silly man, go back to your mom's basement.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think this was more of a money decision then QB although that had an indirect role. Brown is betting that this off-season he will make more then he would've signing in Buffalo for 3 years and he most likely will. I think had Buffalo paid 9 million he probably comes here, but Flacco for 1 year offered better chance for more $ then the 7 million for 3 years. The Bills will probably have to overpay if they have any hope of getting some WR's with true talent given the current situation. They absolutely can get players but they need to be willing to spend the money.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

He's been good this year? can't be, I heard McBeane can't spot talent on offense.....

There wasn't really anything to identify with John Brown he's produced at a high level.........he is a proven deep threat.

Bills tried to get him on the same type of deal as Trent Murphy but Buffalo is a much more attractive spot for a pass rusher than a WR and additionally Brown was a lot healthier than Murphy(and they offered Murphy more money).

Every Bills regime has the story of that one bargain FA that came in for a visit but got away.......remember Kyle Vandenbosch?   Comes in for a visit after busting in Arizona.......Bills can't get him signed cheap enough for their liking and he gets 12.5 sacks that season in TN.

Bottom line is.........if you don't fill holes either in FA or the draft you aren't spotting talent well enough because "one" getting away is not an excuse.

The real failing of the Bills personnel department is the lack of gems they've found in lower profile free agency and the draft/UDFA.     They just aren't scoring well enough in those areas.   

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There wasn't really anything to identify with John Brown he's produced at a high level.........he is a proven deep threat.

Bills tried to get him on the same type of deal as Trent Murphy but Buffalo is a much more attractive spot for a pass rusher than a WR and additionally Brown was a lot healthier than Murphy(and they offered Murphy more money).

Every Bills regime has the story of that one bargain FA that came in for a visit but got away.......remember Kyle Vandenbosch?   Comes in for a visit after busting in Arizona.......Bills can't get him signed cheap enough for their liking and he gets 12.5 sacks that season in TN.

Bottom line is.........if you don't fill holes either in FA or the draft you aren't spotting talent well enough because "one" getting away is not an excuse.

The real failing of the Bills personnel department is the lack of gems they've found in lower profile free agency and the draft/UDFA.     They just aren't scoring well enough in those areas.   

I don’t believe that they value speed enough (Brown would have been an exception). When you lack talent, as it is clear our offense was going to, you need to make some big plays. If you are going to compete you need the occasional 80 yard slant or 75 yard bomb. One big play in the Texans and Patriots game and this team may be 4-3. That was always my Goodwin argument. This team doesn’t need more guys to catch 6 yard crosses. They need a guy that can take 4 of those a year to the house.

When you stink on offense, you shouldn’t be trying to put together 15 play drives. That isn’t going to ever consistently happen. The talent isn’t there. You need to hope for the occasional play of 40 plus to get you in scoring range. The Bills don’t have guys to make those plays. That is a massive indictment on the FO when they drafted the big armed QB. 

• Like (+1) 4