Lacanfora: Bills have reached out to Raiders about Khalil Mack trade

YoloinOhio

I  don't think I want the Bills to trade for Mack.  The contract we'll have to give him is massive and our 2019 1st round pick is probably going to be a very high one.  I think that's too many resources to put into the DE/LB position until our QB and O-line are solidified.  For Hughes/Lawson, a 2019 2nd, and 2020 2nd maybe but I'm sure the Raiders will want more.

Mack, Edmunds, & White would be a nice trio on Defense to build around though!

1 minute ago, Adam727 said:

I  don't think I want the Bills to trade for Mack.  The contract we'll have to give him is massive and our 2019 1st round pick is probably going to be a very high one.  I think that's too many resources to put into the DE/LB position until our QB and O-line are solidified.  For Hughes/Lawson, a 2019 2nd, and 2020 2nd maybe but I'm sure the Raiders will want more.

Mack, Edmunds, & White would be a nice trio on Defense to build around though!

I get your concern but you have to also consider WHY that cost is that high. The guy is a proven monster; he's not local but he already has ties to the area. The cap BS is clear after this year, for the most part. Draft picks are lottery picks; Bosa and Oliver both look great but you never know staring at college highlight clips. Personally I'd rather trade a 1st away for Mack we are currently in a very small window to get him.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, StrikeParry said:

I get your concern but you have to also consider WHY that cost is that high. The guy is a proven monster; he's not local but he already has ties to the area. The cap BS is clear after this year, for the most part. Draft picks are lottery picks; Bosa and Oliver both look great but you never know staring at college highlight clips. Personally I'd rather trade a 1st away for Mack we are currently in a very small window to get him.

Why is Oakland willing to trade him?  I know Gruden’s an idiot, but they must know something....

9 minutes ago, bbb said:

It's not even that he's unknown, but it's totally unknown that we would get him in the draft.

Good point.

You're stacking assumptions on top of assumptions thinking that the Bills are even going to be in the position to draft any of these guys.

And I get the counterargument from people watching these preseason games and wanting to hold on to picks to improve the O line but again any offensive lineman you draft is just another unknown. Take the stud if he's available. A 1st and a 2nd for Khalil Mack? Go right ahead.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Why is Oakland willing to trade him?  I know Gruden’s an idiot, but they must know something....

I have heard it's a combination of things - Gruden is locked in the past, Davis is one of the more cash-poor owners (until he gets the team to Vegas), all sorts of stuff. I don't think it has anything to do with a hidden injury or suspension.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, mannc said:

Since Gruden is locked in for 10 years there isn't an immense pressure to win now and he may not want to tie that much money into a defensive player.  The Raiders are pry looking to build through the draft.  Having an extra 1st and a 2nd round pick (probably what it will take) along with not having to pay a massive contract is appealing as they're already paying Carr a boatload and they'll pry pay Amari Cooper next year (Gruden is an offensive minded coach).  Next year's draft is loaded as far as pass rushers go.  If they do trade him, the only trade I can think that somewhat mirrored this is when the Jets traded Revis to the Bucs for a 1st and mid round pick in 2012 as Revis wanted to be the highest paid defender.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

They don't want to pay him, and as you said, Gruden is an idiot. I know he's offensive minded, but his most talented player on that roster is Mack. And he can't even be arsed to pick up the phone and call him? 

That's already fire worthy for me. You have to be able to manage people to do that job. As much as I have criticized McDermott and disagreed with him, and I'm astounded he does it so well. He manages relationships with the players very well. Winning does ease that, but after last August, I thought he would lose the team. Gruden, I'm not even sure what he has to gain by not reaching out to Mack. That relationship is already poisoned. 

Different positions, but I don't think the OBJ contract helps Oakland's negotiating position at all. You pay elite talent. I know football hates to do it, but you have to pay guys who are special.

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Since Gruden is locked in for 10 years there isn't an immense pressure to win now and he may not want to tie that much money into a defensive player.  The Raiders are pry looking to build through the draft.  Having an extra 1st and a 2nd round pick (probably what it will take) along with not having to pay a massive contract is appealing as they're already paying Carr a boatload and they'll pry pay Amari Cooper next year (Gruden is an offensive minded coach).  Next year's draft is loaded as far as pass rushers go.  If they do trade him, the only trade I can think that somewhat mirrored this is when the Jets traded Revis to the Bucs for a 1st and mid round pick in 2012 as Revis wanted to be the highest paid defender.

Not disagreeing with you at all, but we saw how that played out. That secondary has been ass ever since that trade. You don't give up talent like that. But I do agree with what you're saying about how Oakland is viewing it.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Not disagreeing with you at all, but we saw how that played out. That secondary has been ass ever since that trade. You don't give up talent like that. But I do agree with what you're saying about how Oakland is viewing it.

That's the risk you take as they drafted two 1st round DB's (Dee Milliner and Calvin Pryor) in the following two drafts that both were busts.  However, they did get Sheldon Richardson with that specific pick.  You have to trust your front office if you're going to depart with a player of Mack's quality.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

That's the risk you take as they drafted two 1st round DB's (Dee Milliner and Calvin Pryor) in the following two drafts that both were busts.  However, they did get Sheldon Richardson with that specific pick.  You have to trust your front office if you're going to depart with a player of Mack's quality.

Well, the Revis trade did not work out too well for the Bucs either.  I just don’t see this as a trade that Beane is going to make, unless the price is significantly less than has been reported.  The Bills still have too many holes.

Mack is not going to happen under this regime. No chance Beane invests so much cap room in a single player at this point of the rebuild. If he does, we should all be outraged... 

A trade like this only happens under a regime who has no clue on how to build a team responsibly, like Whaley/Ryan.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, George C said:

Mack is not going to happen under this regime. No chance Beane invests so much cap room in a single player at this point of the rebuild. If he does, we should all be outraged... 

A trade like this only happens under a regime who has no clue on how to build a team responsibly, like Whaley/Ryan.

I mean i'd say the contract Star got is still pound for pound worse than making Mack the highest paid.  Who else has McBeane spent money on since they got here? (excluding murphy)