Bodine Didn't Bode Well From the Tigers Writers Eyes !!

T master

Former Bengals center & Bills free agent as we all know is in a battle to be the starting center for the Bills since E. Wood had to retire yah i know that's old news & I for one hope & have seen Groy look to play & hold the position much better while in the line up than Bodine, that being said i hope that Groy is our next starting center .

It seems as though that some of the writers that have followed the Bengals during the time that Bodine was on the team look at his time there as less than stellar which could be the reason why he was allowed to walk i guess . I don't claim to know a lot about the guy only that he was durable while with the Bengals but we need more that !

From what we saw from Groy while filling in for E.Wood i think IMHO that he should be the starter especially if the beginning of the Browns game said any thing to us as far as the first ten snaps looked when AJ couldn't do anything because of what the Browns D line was doing to our O line when it came to pressure .

This week with Allen starting i think if Groy is in there i think he may be the guy going forward or at least i hope so ! If by any chance that Allen is being looked at to be the Bills starter e will need all the help he can get & starting up front is a huge way to help him perform at a high level, keeping him off his back is a definite positive to a rookies maturation & confidence !

Bodine while some have written had a bad season last year because of losses on the Benals O line did nothing last week to boost my confidence in him while playing with the 1's & after reading a part in this article leaves me even less confident seeing as those that watched him for 4 yrs are glad he's gone & ecstatic with the guy that took his place and that doesn't bode well For Bodine !!

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/8/23/17768798/five-questions-with-cincy-jungle-cordy-glenn-preston-brown-aj-green-billy-price-marvin-lewis

Edited by T master
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The only reasons the Bills would start Bodine at center week one is if they feel they must start Groy at guard or if Groy isn't available. But that latter doesn't seem to be in the plans. Groy is the man.

except from article:

4) Which pick or picks are fans most excited about from this year’s draft class?

Heading into camp, the biggest buzz had to be first round pick Billy Price. Partly because there are a number of Ohio State fans who also follow the Bengals, and partly because the Bengals have suffered thru some awful play from the center position (cough, cough, Russell Bodine) and are hopeful for some sort of upgrade at the position. So far, Price has looked the part. Not only does he not get driven into the backfield on every play, but he even gets forward push sometimes – that’s going to take some getting used to.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

except from article:

4) Which pick or picks are fans most excited about from this year’s draft class?

Heading into camp, the biggest buzz had to be first round pick Billy Price. Partly because there are a number of Ohio State fans who also follow the Bengals, and partly because the Bengals have suffered thru some awful play from the center position (cough, cough, Russell Bodine) and are hopeful for some sort of upgrade at the position. So far, Price has looked the part. Not only does he not get driven into the backfield on every play, but he even gets forward push sometimes – that’s going to take some getting used to.

...wasn't BP talked about as the next Mangold?....you know, the guy we COULD HAVE HAD but got John McCarGONE instead??.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Be careful what you say about Bodine.   I started a thread about Allen to Streater TD pass where Bodine went flat footed and didn't play to the whistle which almost got Josh a shot after the throw and people bit my head off then the thread got removed.   Not kidding.

He was literally standing there looking back at his qb while he threw the ball.   As a 30 year coach it stood out as undisciplined and lazy, keeping in mind many qb's take shots slightly after the ball is released so you need to protect to the whistle, the play isn't just about the first guy you block (which he did well), it's also about blocking to whistle and not letting anyone take a late shot or roll up on your qb (which he did poorly)

Anyway it's a sensitive subject with some people, but suffice to say Groy lost a lot of reps to Bodine so he's still got some work ahead of him.    He's got Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins in the middle on Sunday they're not slugs.

36 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Be careful what you say about Bodine.   I started a thread about Allen to Streater TD pass where Bodine went flat footed and didn't play to the whistle which almost got Josh a shot after the throw and people bit my head off then the thread got removed.   Not kidding.

He was literally standing there looking back at his qb while he threw the ball.   As a 30 year coach it stood out as undisciplined and lazy, keeping in mind many qb's take shots slightly after the ball is released so you need to protect to the whistle, the play isn't just about the first guy you block (which he did well), it's also about blocking to whistle and not letting anyone take a late shot or roll up on your qb (which he did poorly)

Anyway it's a sensitive subject with some people, but suffice to say Groy lost a lot of reps to Bodine so he's still got some work ahead of him.    He's got Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins in the middle on Sunday they're not slugs.

That is because it it was a horrible take for the play in question.  The several film clips added to that hot take proved you totally wrong.

Most people in the thread agree that Bodine is not a great player, but on the play you called him out for - he blocked his guy and moved him off to a guard and stoned a second rusher that was coming through the middle and knocked him 3 feet out of the way and then he turned to see if there was anyone else to pick up toward Allen.

On that play you called him out for he not only did his job, but was exceptional as he helped moved multiple people out of the way allowing Allen to move up in the pocket to avoid the pressure from outside.  That play did not illustrate your point at all.  The funny thing is there are many other choice you could have made that do support your take, but the one you made was flat out wrong - which is why people went after you and the thread got closed.

Overall back to the original point - this is not a surprise nor does it mean he can not work out, but the line looks better with Groy at this point.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

He had his guy and pushed him back then his guy stepped off. Is he supposed to persue him or cover his lane? 

6 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

That is because it it was a horrible take for the play in question.  The several film clips added to that hot take proved you totally wrong.

Most people in the thread agree that Bodine is not a great player, but on the play you called him out for - he blocked his guy and moved him off to a guard and stoned a second rusher that was coming through the middle and knocked him 3 feet out of the way and then he turned to see if there was anyone else to pick up toward Allen.

On that play you called him out for he not only did his job, but was exceptional as he helped moved multiple people out of the way allowing Allen to move up in the pocket to avoid the pressure from outside.  That play did not illustrate your point at all.  The funny thing is there are many other choice you could have made that do support your take, but the one you made was flat out wrong - which is why people went after you and the thread got closed.

Overall back to the original point - this is not a surprise nor does it mean he can not work out, but the line looks better with Groy at this point.

See what I mean?

I think you're Russell's mom.....

6 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

See what I mean?

I think you're Russell's mom.....

Nice response - I am his mom because you called out a guy on a play that he did his job and made the TD possible.  Just because you are wrong and 90% of the board saw it and called you out to the point you were being ridiculed and the Mods had to close the thread - that is not my fault.

Refute the video evidence.  

Did he not block his guy and move him off to the guard?  

Did he not then see the blitzing/stunting player come up the middle and stone him and move him 3 feet to the offenses left making a nice lane for Allen to step up and make the throw?

Yes after knocking the Browns player out of the way he looks back to see if he can pick up anything else just before Allen makes the throw, but that was after he had already done his job and kept the middle of the field open and gave Josh the space to make the play.

As I stated - there are plenty of plays that Bodine gets blown up and moved back toward the QB and the line looks significantly better with Groy at center, but this was not the play to try and prove that.

Bodine makes a nice back-up and gives the Bills some veteran depth- I hope the Bills start Groy because I think he is the better player.  If Redmond learns how to shotgun snap - maybe he beats out Bodine and we can cut him, but right now the difference between Bodine and Groy is not huge and may have just as much to do with who is at QB as it does with their actual play.  McCarron is a sack machine right now.

The best question in that article was which former Bill are you more excited about, Cordys Glenn or PB Blaster?  I come down slightly on the side of Cordys Glenn, assuming he can regain his form of 2 years ago.  Everybody needs a good LT, so he gives more value than a solid MLB in the Blaster.  It will be interesting to watch both of them Sunday night.