25,000 Foot Jump Without Parachute

Fadingpain

I jumped from 14,000 feet....WITH a parachute. Even that was kinda crazy. The oddest thing to me was how much colder it was up there. Should have been obvious, but it surprised me. 

Now, congrats to this guy for NOT being the worst smushed parent ever. His wife and kid(s) were there, and that would be pretty horrific if he failed. Maybe it’s like some silly parlor trick that looks crazy, but is actually a slam dunk....oohh, make that a piece of cake. 

Ok, not only is he crazy, but... WTH would want to be in the stands for that!? "He's in...AND he's kicking and moving!"  If they expected him not to in, or not to be kicking and moving, were people observing this just to see a guy go splat?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ok, not only is he crazy, but... WTH would want to be in the stands for that!? "He's in...AND he's kicking and moving!"  If they expected him not to in, or not to be kicking and moving, were people observing this just to see a guy go splat?

Again, the wife and KID(s) were present. What are the therapy bills if THAT goes wrong? 

Notice the three other skydivers guiding him... He can bail with them if they don't guide him to the drop zone (DZ) properly.  But, once their chutes go, he's on his own the last 1,000 feet.  One of the three hangs around to the very end before pulling their chute.

Notice the three were guiding him with jet on the foot... I assume keeping within the three.  Not sure what the mechanics, physics is there to guide him to the DZ.

I am still impressed!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Probably.  

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Big deal. Call me when this guy can throw 5 INT’s in one half of football. 

That's easy.

I'm sure I could throw more.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Notice the three other skydivers guiding him... He can bail with them if they don't guide him to the drop zone (DZ) properly.  But, once their chutes go, he's on his own the last 1,000 feet.  One of the three hangs around to the very end before pulling their chute.

Notice the three were guiding him with jet on the foot... I assume keeping within the three.  Not sure what the mechanics, physics is there to guide him to the DZ.

I am still impressed!

Those guys know how to steer their bodies just using air pressure.  I assume they were just eyeballing it and staying on course, but maybe it was more scientific than that.

You can call this guy crazy, and I guess he is, but he also has enormous balls.

6 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Probably.  

That's easy.

I'm sure I could throw more.

Those guys know how to steer their bodies just using air pressure.  I assume they were just eyeballing it and staying on course, but maybe it was more scientific than that.

You can call this guy crazy, and I guess he is, but he also has enormous balls.

Yep... But if something went off target... He would have no doubt chuted with them.  The spotters that is.  Still takes balls of steel and being an expert jumper!

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I can confirm I went to the end and skipped the middle just for this.

But, I'd totally do this.

I hate heights. I’m ok, generally, until I look down. I almost passed out a few months ago while looking down from the top of a fairly tall building. 

Still, many years ago I told my kids that if they ever wanted to skydive I’d go with them. I know I’m safe with one of them, but the other two have me worried. I’m afraid that they’ll do it and make me go out of spite. ? 

12 hours ago, Augie said:

I jumped from 14,000 feet....WITH a parachute. Even that was kinda crazy. The oddest thing to me was how much colder it was up there. Should have been obvious, but it surprised me. 

Now, congrats to this guy for NOT being the worst smushed parent ever. His wife and kid(s) were there, and that would be pretty horrific if he failed. Maybe it’s like some silly parlor trick that looks crazy, but is actually a slam dunk....oohh, make that a piece of cake. 

Have you ever gone by the name DB Cooper?

How to survive a 10,000-foot fall.  In WWII, Alan Magee survived a 20,000-foot fall by landing on a glass roof of French train station!

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/08/24/641395468/surviving-a-big-fall

"Author Jim Hamilton has compiled dozens of these stories. For instance, Alan Magee survived a 20,000-foot fall from his plane during World War II and survived by landing on the glass roof of a French railroad station. And Serbian flight attendant Vesna Vulović holds the Guinness world record for the longest survived fall — over 30,000 feet — after her plane blew up in the 1970s, though some cynics think the real height of Vulović's fall was a mere 2,600 feet."

"But how exactly do you survive such an extraordinary event?

Rhett Allain, associate professor of physics at Southeastern Louisiana State University, says that experimental evidence on the subject is thin because it's unethical to throw people out of airplanes for science.

"Fortunately, we don't have enough data to make a trend line," Allain says."

On 8/22/2018 at 8:33 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

Isn't that why most folks watch auto-racing?

And WRT this guy . . .  I get being an adrenaline junkie, but my God man . . . Buy a motorcycle or something.  

Edited by Philly McButterpants

What's the difference between 10 feet and 10,000 feet.

One time I was canoeing and pointed out to my canoe partner that the lake where we on was 700 feet deep. Well, my friend flipped out.  What's 10 feet or 10,000... Bottom ain't gonna help.  Good thing I was on stern controlling the canoe.  He still made us paddle by shore! /smh...

All he has to do is hit the bag!

That's the task.  And he had three people to help him to the last 1,000 feet.  

Still very impressive.  But, that's the state of mind he's gotta get into.  Once you jump, you jump.  Let the planning take over and stick it in the bag.  Now that I read the article I posted above, I gotta see how he landed. Did he land in bag on his back.  He probably practiced at terminal velocity WITH A CHUTE.

What's another 1,000s of feet. Still boggles the mind.

BTW, heights freak me out.  But I am a skier and will jump into anything to my ability, have faith in technical aspects of things. Understand the physics, eliminate what can go wrong. Once you jump, can't bail.  Move forward with the plan. When you get the yips in the middle, that's bad! Don't get overwhelmed with the big picture.  A lot of expert skiers quit in the face of an avalanche when they have ability to ski out.  This guy jumping, had the right frame of mind.  He knew he wouldn't fail.  But man, what a set of balls!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, Cripple Creek said:

I hate heights. I’m ok, generally, until I look down. I almost passed out a few months ago while looking down from the top of a fairly tall building. 

Still, many years ago I told my kids that if they ever wanted to skydive I’d go with them. I know I’m safe with one of them, but the other two have me worried. I’m afraid that they’ll do it and make me go out of spite. ? 

You only need to worry if they start asking about your life insurance policy before you go, or ask you to sign some forms. 

On 8/23/2018 at 8:08 AM, Soda Popinski said:

Nope.   We stayed on the 36th floor of a hotel in Panama City Beach back in 2005 and I couldn't go out on the balcony.  NO flippin way am i jumping out of an airplane that's not on fire or crashing.   

I'm not even going up in an airplane, let alone jumping out of one. 

On 8/26/2018 at 7:21 AM, BuffaloBill said:

How would you even think this stunt up?

One of those things that you think up with your buddies after a night of heavy drinking then realize how stupid it was in the morning.

Watch where he lands!  It's a little too close to the edge for my liking!  It wasn't a problem, but still...he didn't exactly drop right in the center of that thing.  And what if he had hit the edge of it?  It would have likely cut through whatever part of his body hit.  Take off a leg, cut his torso in half, etc.

I just have no idea how or why people do this sort of thing.  I understand that he obviously gets a high off adrenaline, but jump a motocross bike or something where you aren't 100% dead for sure if it goes wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Watch where he lands!  It's a little too close to the edge for my liking!  It wasn't a problem, but still...he didn't exactly drop right in the center of that thing.  And what if he had hit the edge of it?  It would have likely cut through whatever part of his body hit.  Take off a leg, cut his torso in half, etc.

I just have no idea how or why people do this sort of thing.  I understand that he obviously gets a high off adrenaline, but jump a motocross bike or something where you aren't 100% dead for sure if it goes wrong.

It pays the bills.  I gotta watch it again, did he land on back, legs slightly higher.  Head high (of course)?

On 8/27/2018 at 8:30 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

It pays the bills.  I gotta watch it again, did he land on back, legs slightly higher.  Head high (of course)?

Legs, arms, and head all very high. Starts the turn to his back at 2:11, enters the net at 2:12. 1 second (actually think it was less) to make the turn, position himself, and enter the net. One frame at 2:12 shows the enter position, so you need to go to 2:11 and advance frame by frame to see it.