Cohen's Plea Deal and its Implications for Trump

Nanker

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

So, Manafort was convicted of election fraud? Stuff like this is what gets me about all you Johnny-come-latelies here at PPP. Not only are you ignorant of the basics but you make shitup. Every so often we get inundated down here with a whole bunch of Gleeful Gator clones because they think the left is gaining some type of upper hand. It won't be long and you guys will crawl back into your holes to gather your strength to come back here to spread more lies and dishonest crap.

No, no. 

It was his *lawyer* who plead guility to the campaign finance law AND paid off the women Trump had extramarital affairs with.

It was Manafort who was guilty of bank fraud in the Ukraine...you know, the country invaded by Russia.

From these responses, I am drawing a number of things.

One, a hatred of Hillary so strong, that people are willing to make up wild ass nonsense. "BUT SHE IS MORE CORRUPT, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU THINK THE PERSON WHO HAS VISIBILY PROMOTED CRONIES WHO VISIBLY PROFIT FROM DISMANTLING THE SERVICES THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO PROTECT IS LESS CORRUPT THAN HILLARY." 

I don't like her either, but Jesus people, if you can't spot how dangerously corrupt this administration is, I have a bridge to sell you, and all it takes is your Social Security number, mother's maiden name, credit card numbers and bank account information. 

Also...really guys. We are talking about a man who, even before he was elected, had a track record of screwing over small businesses by quoting them one number for work, and then refusing to pay it. A man who made up random ass, unsubstantiated non-sense with the birther movement and beat that horse until it became IKEA meatballs, and who only years later begrudgingly admitted that it wasn't true. A man who claimed that he saw Muslims celebrating 9/11, had that proven to be untrue, and yet he doubled down on it. A man who has committed extramarital affairs and paid hush money about it. A man who sets records at Politifact for untrue statements.

But no...I'm the untruthful one.

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

But no...I'm the untruthful one.

On 8/21/2018 at 9:36 AM, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Oh, they're not. They just have no problems with supporting someone who is incredibly racist...

On 8/21/2018 at 9:54 AM, Deranged Rhino said:

Please list the examples, with sources, which makes Trump someone who is "incredibly racist." 

Anything yet? Or nah?

12 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It was Manafort who was guilty of bank fraud in the Ukraine...you know, the country invaded by Russia.

This statement shows you have no idea what Manafort was doing in the Ukraine, whom he represented, or what actually happened in 2014. 

14 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

A man who made up random ass, unsubstantiated non-sense with the birther movement...

This statement proves you have no idea what you're talking about. The "birther" movement was started by the Clinton campaign during the primary against Obama in '08. It was a dirty trick, typical of the Clinton machine. Trump latched onto it, yes, and furthered it, yes. But he didn't originate it. 

Clinton did. 

Facts aren't your friend, WWIP. You keep proving that what you feel is more important to you than actual facts. 

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

So, Manafort was convicted of election fraud? Stuff like this is what gets me about all you Johnny-come-latelies here at PPP. Not only are you ignorant of the basics but you make shitup. Every so often we get inundated down here with a whole bunch of Gleeful Gator clones because they think the left is gaining some type of upper hand. It won't be long and you guys will crawl back into your holes to gather your strength to come back here to spread more lies and dishonest crap.

This is exactly why I started this thread. The two (soon to be three trials) each deserve their own thread in order to somewhat keep the discussions along their own lines.

53 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Here's the deal.  I work in the medical field.  If  someone has  a kidney disorder I consult a nephrologist, and not  a truck driver.  I spent all last night watching a variety of prosecutors voicing their educated opinions on the Cohen stuff.  I read a number of different sites with generally differing perspectives.  And I listened to Cohen's actual lawyer.  The vast vast majority disagree with you and indicated that the story on Cohen's cooperation is far from closed.  

So so tell me:  are you a prosecutor who has actual experience in such matters?  Or are you a truck driver?

So Dog1960, how is DR's spleen?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

How do we know? By reading the plea deal. This is the deal Cohen made - pleading out to a campaign finance violation (which isn't criminal) 

You're way off base if you think he has more to offer. 

DR, I have a question for you., and I am not being sarcastic.  I keep seeing the Trump folks saying the campaign violation is not a “ criminal “ offense. Why do you keep saying that? I see that is is usually dealt with administratively and with fines, but I cannot find anywhere that says CFV are not criminal. 

And if not not a criminal violation.. what kind of violation would it be? 

Edited by plenzmd1

1 minute ago, Nanker said:

This is exactly why I started this thread. The two (soon to be three trials) each deserve their own thread in order to somewhat keep the discussions along their own lines.

So Dog1960, how is DR's spleen?

I assumed OMF was treating DR for ED, not because I know something about DR, but because I heard that was the area of OMF's expertise.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

DR, I have a question for you., and I am not being sarcastic.  I keep seeing the Trump folks saying the campaign violation is not a “ criminal “ offense. Why do you keep saying that? I see that is is usually delay with administrativel and with fines, but I cannot find anywhere that says CFV are not criminal. 

And if not not a criminal violation.. what kind of violation would it be? 

It's a civil violation, not a criminal violation unless the DOJ wishes to make it criminal. If (and it's a big if) you could prove it against Trump, which they couldn't against John Edwards when they tried, it's not a misdemeanor or felony. There are no legal consequences in terms of jail time or penalties associated with criminal violations. It's just a fine. A fine that many a candidate has been charged with, and paid, without slowing them down. 

But it SOUNDS bad when you add into the plea that it was an attempt to "influence the election" (by paying hush money - also not illegal - to the women he slept with). That's what the "influence" charge is all about, and it's nonsense from a legal/criminal law standpoint. It's designed entirely to inflame the language used in headlines and cable news programs. That's it. And that's why it won't reach the threshold of the DOJ charging it's criminal in nature rather than a civil matter settled by a fine. 

PRESIDENT IN A VISE:

What needs to be kept in mind at every stage is that this whole investigation is not about Russian meddling. Everyone agrees that they did it and it was wrong. No one needs a special prosecutor to get to the bottom of that.

This is part of an effort by the Democrats and their collaborators to overturn a presidential election that they thought they would win. No crime of which either man was pronounced guilty today is as foul as the campaign underway to foil the decision of the American people.

Read the whole thing.

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's a civil violation, not a criminal violation unless the DOJ wishes to make it criminal. If (and it's a big if) you could prove it against Trump, which they couldn't against John Edwards when they tried, it's not a misdemeanor or felony. There are no legal consequences in terms of jail time or penalties associated with criminal violations. It's just a fine. A fine that many a candidate has been charged with, and paid, without slowing them down. 

But it SOUNDS bad when you add into the plea that it was an attempt to "influence the election" (by paying hush money - also not illegal - to the women he slept with). That's what the "influence" charge is all about, and it's nonsense from a legal/criminal law standpoint. It's designed entirely to inflame the language used in headlines and cable news programs. That's it. And that's why it won't reach the threshold of the DOJ charging it's criminal in nature rather than a civil matter settled by a fine. 

The Edwards case was VERY different. The people that gave the money to Edwards to give to his lady were not the ones that already pleaded guilty, like Cohen is now. Cohen has already admitted that was the purpose of the payments and will testify to that. They had none of that at Edwards trial. And Edwards wife was dying, so he argued he just didn't want her to know. Trump obviously was trying to influence the election with the payouts of silence. 

It wasn't "very" different, Edwards was tried for the same charges they would have to try Trump under if they tried. They won't try it, mind you, which is why this is nonsense to begin with (he's a sitting president, he's not going to be indicted by the DOJ). All it is is spin designed to fool the simple minded. Now people like you, who don't know fact from fiction (or care to) are saying things like "Trump was trying to influence the election"... but leaving out the part about it not being illegal to pay hush money and that it has nothing to do with Russian collusion/conspiracy. 

Because you don't want to admit that. Admitting that Russia was and remains a bogus narrative designed to undercut an legally elected POTUS and prevent him from being able to execute his policies unencumbered destroys everything you've said for two plus years. Not just you, but many big names in the media, on the Hill, and in think tanks around DC. There's a lot on the line for those people. Their only hope - since they have no evidence to prove any part of the original Russia collusion/conspiracy narrative - is that the folks who have blindly followed their narrative without doing any of their own homework (looking at you oldmanfan) will jump onto this new narrative train without looking back or stopping to ask important questions. 

You've been had. 

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It wasn't "very" different, Edwards was tried for the same charges they would have to try Trump under if they tried. They won't try it, mind you, which is why this is nonsense to begin with (he's a sitting president, he's not going to be indicted by the DOJ). All it is is spin designed to fool the simple minded. Now people like you, who don't know fact from fiction (or care to) are saying things like "Trump was trying to influence the election"... but leaving out the part about it not being illegal to pay hush money and that it has nothing to do with Russian collusion/conspiracy. 

Because you don't want to admit that. Admitting that Russia was and remains a bogus narrative designed to undercut an legally elected POTUS and prevent him from being able to execute his policies unencumbered destroys everything you've said for two plus years. Not just you, but many big names in the media, on the Hill, and in think tanks around DC. There's a lot on the line for those people. Their only hope - since they have no evidence to prove any part of the original Russia collusion/conspiracy narrative - is that the folks who have blindly followed their narrative without doing any of their own homework (looking at you oldmanfan) will jump onto this new narrative train without looking back or stopping to ask important questions. 

You've been had. 

No one pleaded guilty in the Edwards case, Cohen already has. Very different cases 

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Image result for never give up meme

You've been wrong on every single prediction made on this issue for over two years now... but this time it's gonna work!

Mr. Cohen acknowledged the illegal payments while pleading guilty to breaking campaign finance laws and other charges, a litany of crimes that revealed both his shadowy involvement in Mr. Trump’s circle and his own corrupt business dealings.

He told a judge in United States District Court in Manhattan that the payments to the women were made “in coordination with and at the direction of a candidate for federal office,” implicating the president in a federal crime.

“I participated in this conduct, which on my part took place in Manhattan, for the principal purpose of influencing the election” for president in 2016, Mr. Cohen said.

To influence the election. Don't remember a witness like that at Edwards trial

21 minutes ago, B-Man said:

PRESIDENT IN A VISE:

What needs to be kept in mind at every stage is that this whole investigation is not about Russian meddling. Everyone agrees that they did it and it was wrong. No one needs a special prosecutor to get to the bottom of that.

This is part of an effort by the Democrats and their collaborators to overturn a presidential election that they thought they would win. No crime of which either man was pronounced guilty today is as foul as the campaign underway to foil the decision of the American people.

Read the whole thing.

Yep.  It's a coup.  An attempt to delegitimize the entire administration.

If it were an honest attempt at justice, the perpetrators would be more concerned about "President Pence."

• Like (+1) 1

You've predicted for over two years that Trump was guilty of treason and conspiring with Russians to rig the election. You've been spectacularly wrong on that count, and every position you've shifted to since then. You're not wrong because you're intellectually limited (which you are), you're wrong because you don't care to be right. You only care about trolling and stirring the pot down here, nothing more. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Yep.  It's a coup.  An attempt to delegitimize the entire administration.

If it were an honest attempt at justice, the perpetrators would be more concerned about "President Pence."

Lol, what, a coup and you clowns are not even starting a thread about it? You don't even believe your own nonsense 

26 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Concerning is how many of them exist.

It's not that it fools them, per se, it's largely that they are immoral would be despots, who, quite honestly, aren't interested in democratic forms of government unless it gives them what they want.

As soon as it doesn't grant what they want, they seek to overturn the entire concept of free and fair elections, and any pretense of self determination; and seek to run the political opposition's successful candidate, now the duly elected sitting President, out of office.

To those ends they insist on a never ending stream of narrative changes which remain fluid, so they don't have to stop and account for their veracity.  Special Counsel was appointed not to find, or debunk, the case of Russian collusion; but rather to dig and dig and dig until he could damage the President in some way, any way, in order to undo the democratic will of people they disagree with.

They don't believe anyone other than those whom agree with their ideology should be permitted to rule. 

WhiteWalker had a very telling thing to say earlier in the day:  "BUT SHE IS MORE CORRUPT, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU THINK THE PERSON WHO HAS VISIBILY PROMOTED CRONIES WHO VISIBLY PROFIT FROM DISMANTLING THE SERVICES THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO PROTECT IS LESS CORRUPT THAN HILLARY." 

Let that sink in.

"Services they are supposed to protect"

The purpose of government, in their minds, is to prop up liberal sacred cows; and failure to do so is evidence of corruption.

Conservatism, and the shrinking and dismantling of entrenched liberal interests is malfeasance in their eyes, and justifies running them out of office.

Democracy is only tolerated while it wins them elections.  When it ceases to do so, coups and banana republics are the preferred order of the day.

As a result, we'll see a civil war in our lifetimes.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

3 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Actually, you raise a point that should stop and make you think if you have even a drop of competence in your field.

Your patients see you because they have expertise in themselves.  They know when something doesn't feel right.  They feel the pain, or discomfort.  They come to you because they want to know the root cause.

But, quite often, you fail them and get the root cause wrong.  They go on, dealing with the issue, trying new treatments, looking for second opinions, because you were wrong.

The fact that you are a medical expert does not confer on you the ability to correctly diagnose without the patient being a subject matter expert in what they are feeling.

This is completely and totally nonsense.  They have a medical problem and they come to see me because I have the expertise to help them.  And I do, way more times than not.  Your assumption that I and other medical practiciobers are oftentimes wrong and fail patients is absurd on its face.

Again I'll listen to professional prosecutors on matters of the law vs. guys like you, unless you are a member of the bar,

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It's not that it fools them, per se, it's largely that they are immoral would be despots, who, quite honestly, aren't interested in democratic forms of government unless it gives them what they want.

As soon as it doesn't grant what they want, they seek to overturn the entire concept of free and fair elections, and any pretense of self determination; and seek to run the political opposition's successful candidate, now the duly elected sitting President, out of office.

To those ends they insist on a never ending stream of narrative changes which remain fluid, so they don't have to stop and account for their veracity.  Special Counsel was appointed not to find, or debunk, the case of Russian collusion; but rather to dig and dig and dig until he could damage the President in some way, any way, in order to undo the democratic will of people they disagree with.

They don't believe anyone other than those whom agree with their ideology should be permitted to rule. 

WhiteWalker had a very telling thing to say earlier in the day:  "BUT SHE IS MORE CORRUPT, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU THINK THE PERSON WHO HAS VISIBILY PROMOTED CRONIES WHO VISIBLY PROFIT FROM DISMANTLING THE SERVICES THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO PROTECT IS LESS CORRUPT THAN HILLARY." 

Let that sink in.

"Services they are supposed to protect"

The purpose of government, in their minds, is to prop up liberal sacred cows; and failure to do so is evidence of corruption.

Conservatism, and the shrinking and dismantling of entrenched liberal interests is malfeasance in their eyes, and justifies running them out of office.

Democracy is only tolerated while it wins them elections.  When it ceases to do so, coups and banana republics are the preferred order of the day.

As a result, we'll see a civil war in our lifetimes.

Reducing the costs in government services is one thing. Handing over schools to someone who makes personal profit by making them fail is a bad idea. Betsy DeVos, along with being wildly incompetent at her job, her personal ownership in charter school and online learning. While this is not a bad thing HOLT **** is it a conflict of interest, and one that she has been exploiting.

The EPA is designed to make sure that we aren't poisoning ourselves for a quick buck. Scott Pruitt committed so many ethics violations that I honestly would need a thread to list them all. And now we have approval for new uses of asbestos in commercial products...you know, the thing that causes rampant cancer? 

Conservativism is not malfeasance, though I think of it as a seesaw of usage. The Trump administration just couldn't be more corrupt and cartoonishly greedy if they tried.

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It's a coup, you moron.  It just happens to be one you support.  Own it.

A coup? I somehow missed how an investigation (with a very broad scope in its charter) which has yielded huge numbers of felony convictions for fraud is a coup.

Unless, of course, the coup target is one giant anthropomorphized fraud. Wait...this explains so much!!!

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

This is completely and totally nonsense.  They have a medical problem and they come to see me because I have the expertise to help them.  And I do, way more times than not.  Your assumption that I and other medical practiciobers are oftentimes wrong and fail patients is absurd on its face.

And this is why you fail, and likely aren't as competent as you could be in your field.

Doctors frequently make incorrect diagnosis, and patients who don't advocate for themselves fall away, as medical professionals like yourself don't even know how badly they have failed them.

Patients wishing to receive the best care need to advocate for themselves, and need to become their own experts.

Again I'll listen to professional prosecutors on matters of the law vs. guys like you, unless you are a member of the bar

This is laughable.  Not only have you outsourced your thinking to "experts" (an appeal to authority fallacy), you've done so to a single, small carve-out of the legal profession.

The role of a prosecutor is to gain convictions, not to find the truth; though I suspect you aren't valuing the input of individuals like Trey Gowdy or Rudi Giuliani throughout this process (former prosecutors, both). 

So the list grows even narrower:

You only appeal to the authority of a narrow group of a certain type of professional, whose role in the system doesn't even comport with your stated goal of finding an objective truth, and even then only when they appeal to your pre-conceived biases.

To undo your argument further:  prisoners serving lengthy sentences often become more versed in the law surrounding their own cases than the lawyers who represent them.  They have never passed the bar, but become their own experts because that's how individuals best advocate for themselves.

Your argument is an argument in favor of ignorance.  Mine is in favor of self empowerment.

I like my argument better; and if you had the best interests of your patients in mind, you'd like my argument better too.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Again I'll listen to professional prosecutors on matters of the law vs. guys like you, unless you are a member of the bar,

You're so full of shite!! I would believe you're a janitor in a hospital than a Dr.

You're way too ignorant and mentally limited to do anything more than clean toilets. 

Just now, westside said:

You're so full of shite!! I would believe you're a janitor in a hospital than a Dr.

You're way too ignorant and mentally limited to do anything more than clean toilets. 

Others here want to have an intelligent conversation.  You don't so don't waste my time

45 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Left out of that tweet - Perkins-Coie paid Russian intelligence assets, as well as British for the information. In other words, the very conspiracy many accuse Trump of doing with Russia, Steele and the DNC were actually doing. 

But details.

35 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Remind us again of how you think for yourself... :lol:

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Others here want to have an intelligent conversation.  You don't so don't waste my time

All you do is lie, lie and lie. What's so intelligent about that? 

You're a poster boy for the mentally inept! You lie so much,  you don't even realise that you're lieing. I have very little patience for such dishonest people like you. 

I  don't what you think, how you "feel".

The greatest contribution you can make to PPP is to leave and never come back.

6 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

And this is why you fail, and likely aren't as competent as you could be in your field.

Doctors frequently make incorrect diagnosis, and patients who don't advocate for themselves fall away, as medical professionals like yourself don't even know how badly they have failed them.

Patients wishing to receive the best care need to advocate for themselves, and need to become their own experts.

This is laughable.  Not only have you outsourced your thinking to "experts" (an appeal to authority fallacy), you've done so to a single, small carve-out of the legal profession.

The role of a prosecutor is to gain convictions, not to find the truth; though I suspect you aren't valuing the input of individuals like Trey Gowdy or Rudi Giuliani throughout this process (former prosecutors, both). 

So the list grows even narrower:

You only appeal to the authority of a narrow group of a certain type of professional, whose role in the system doesn't even comport with your stated goal of finding an objective truth, and even then only when they appeal to your pre-conceived biases.

To undo your argument further:  prisoners serving lengthy sentences often become more versed in the law surrounding their own cases than the lawyers who represent them.  They have never passed the bar, but become their own experts because that's how individuals best advocate for themselves.

Your argument is an argument in favor of ignorance.  Mine is in favor of self empowerment.

I like my argument better; and if you had the best interests of your patients in mind, you'd like my argument better too.

We encourage patients to be their own advocates, encourage them to ask questions , and are always willing to encourage second opinions.  So again your assumption that there are errors or we don't do such things is erroneous.

This news broke last night.  To gain insight I read and listened to experts in the field, prosecutors that do this for a living.  If you are saying that we should not rely on experts in their field to help guide decision making or helping folks form opinions then I'm at a loss to figure out what you want.  I'm pretty smart but without a thorough background in the law I wouldn't pretend to understand such issues.

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Left out of that tweet - Perkins-Coie paid Russian intelligence assets, as well as British for the information. In other words, the very conspiracy many accuse Trump of doing with Russia, Steele and the DNC were actually doing. 

But details.

Remind us again of how you think for yourself... :lol:

I'll take the information they provide, consider  it and then form my opinion.  Again I think you have confirmation bias, you take information and then fit it to your preconceived notion is what I am seeing.  

But as I said yesterday I'll read that one document you suggested about FISA.  Send me the link again; I can't find our posts on that.

6 minutes ago, westside said:

All you do is lie, lie and lie. What's so intelligent about that? 

You're a poster boy for the mentally inept! You lie so much,  you don't even realise that you're lieing. I have very little patience for such dishonest people like you. 

I  don't what you think, how you "feel".

The greatest contribution you can make to PPP is to leave and never come back.

Adults are having a conversation and debate here.  Run along now.

10 minutes ago, westside said:

He's a doctor from Western VA who used to post here under a different name. He's definitely a liberal but will sometimes listen to reason. He's also spent quite  bit of effort trying to change his "tells" but once in awhile slips up.

5 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

He's a doctor from Western VA who used to post here under a different name. He's definitely a liberal but will sometimes listen to reason. He's also spent quite  bit of effort trying to change his "tells" but once in awhile slips up.

If you are referring to oldmanfan, he was indybillsfan on BBMB, and iirc he teaches anatomy or something of the like at a university, but he can correct me if I am mistaken, thats just off the top of my head.

Edited by Bray Wyatt

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

If you are referring to oldmanfan, he was indybillsfan on BBMB, and iirc he teaches anatomy or something of the like at a university, but he can correct me if I am mistaken, thats just off the top of my head.

Correct.  I am not from VA.