Cohen's Plea Deal and its Implications for Trump

Nanker

"Cohen pleaded guilty to five counts of tax evasion; one count of making false statements to a financial institution; one count of willfully causing an unlawful corporation contribution; and one count of making an excessive campaign contribution at the request of a candidate."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michael-cohen-plea-deal-details-today-2018-08-21/

Putting this here because it's glomming up the other thread about Manafort's First Trial in which he was found guilty of fraud, etc for crimes he committed dating from 2011 through 2014 which is before he ever had a relationship with Trump. 

3 minutes ago, Nanker said:

"Cohen pleaded guilty to five counts of tax evasion; one count of making false statements to a financial institution; one count of willfully causing an unlawful corporation contribution; and one count of making an excessive campaign contribution at the request of a candidate."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michael-cohen-plea-deal-details-today-2018-08-21/

Putting this here because it's glomming up the other thread about Manafort's First Trial in which he was found guilty of fraud, etc for crimes he committed dating from 2011 through 2014 which is before he ever had a relationship with Trump. 

He's been working with Trump for over a decade. 

If you saw Cohens lawyer on the networks last night, he is saying Cohen has the dirt and can't want to sing like a canary. Literally saying he wants to bury Trump. I'll find link 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/08/22/lanny-davis-michael-cohen-trump-russia-hacking-new-day-vpx.cnn

Lanny Davis, the attorney representing President Donald Trump's former personal attorney Michael Cohen, suggests that his client may have knowledge implicating Trump in Russia's alleged hacking of Democratic emails.

Source: CNN

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He's been working with Trump for over a decade. 

If you saw Cohens lawyer on the networks last night, he is saying Cohen has the dirt and can't want to sing like a canary. Literally saying he wants to bury Trump. I'll find link 

I think you seem to have a problem translating the english language to russian. 

Keep digging comrade.

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Sorry...aren't we missing the part where Russia...helps Trump...and he is their toady?

I think instead the vodka is mixed with lemonade powder. It's called "Trump drizzle juice"

Aren't you missing the part that after two years of investigations into "russian collusion ", not one piece of evidence has been found? 

You can't say that about hillary though....

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Lol, ok. Next up to try to take Trump down!

This is laughable....

If the accusations are true, Trump will have committed a crime, should be impeached and, after leaving office, prosecuted. The framers surely would agree that committing a crime in order to obtain the presidency falls in the category of “High Crimes & Misdemeanors.” This is not a prediction of what will occur, but what should follow from our constitutional system.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/08/22/what-you-may-have-missed-in-the-cohen-plea/?utm_term=.0924507f8b57

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Election fraud of this type is a pretty small crime. She's trying to conflate this into more than it is. It's offensive, and it shows the "character" of the man, but this is not an impeachable offense. Democrats should use this for what it is, not what it's not. It's embarrassing when they do this. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

2 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

The president's fixer is going to talk. Cohen will be able to pull in witnesses, and provide documentary support. 

I don't know where this is going but isn't good for Trump. 

He already talked and the best he could offer was coping to a violation which they could juice up with spicy (and legally meaningless) language to control a news cycle for a few days. 

The he amount of "this time they got Trump" on display is hilarious. You'd think y'all would have learned your lessons by now to stop trusting the reporting of mindless partisans pushing a narrative... But nope.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BeginnersMind said:

Election fraud of this type is a pretty small crime. She's trying to conflate this into more than it is. It's offensive, and it shows the "character" of the man, but this is not an impeachable offense. 

It's not even a criminal offense, but rather a civil offense.

And that's if Trump is even guilty, because his campaign was almost entirely self-funded.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Election fraud of this type is a pretty small crime. She's trying to conflate this into more than it is. It's offensive, and it shows the "character" of the man, but this is not an impeachable offense. Democrats should use this for what it is, not what it's not. It's embarrassing when they do this. 

He broke the law to get elected. No small crime at all. He is a law breaker. I'm sure you guys will try and minimize it all to hell, "Who cares about laws?" 

Would he have won if he wasn't shelling out hundreds of thousands of dollars in hush money? We can never say for sure, but we know Trump thought he couldn't, or he wouldn't have paid out that money. 

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Anyone who hires Lanny Davis as their attorney has no facts on his side but needs a filthy partisan to make up a bunchofshit.

Great evidence! 

image.jpeg.bebf580f8771dfd0b7bf0aafbfaeeca2.jpeg

We will see.  For those of you trying to write this off as nothing against the president think again.  If Cohen and/or Manafort have material they can trade to provide evidence about whatever went on with the Russians, odds are they'll use it. 

As I keep saying, let the investigation run its course.

22 minutes ago, westside said:

Aren't you missing the part that after two years of investigations into "russian collusion ", not one piece of evidence has been found? 

You can't say that about hillary though....

Lol, ok. Next up to try to take Trump down!

This is laughable....

I'm sorry...did I vividly hallucinate Trump himself saying that Don Jr. met with Russian intelligence in Trump tower, and that he knew about it but the information "wasn't good"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/msn/giuliani-trump-tower-meeting-was-originally-for-the-purpose-of-getting-information-about-clinton/ar-BBM7LgG

If you want to say that it didn't have an effect, and that Trump would have won anyway...fine. But come on, how much more evidence do you need that Trump is a lying con? He lied repeatedly about what the Russia meeting was about, his campaign manager has been convicted of bank and election fraud and his personal lawyer paid off prostitutes. 

31 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Sorry...aren't we missing the part where Russia...helps Trump...and he is their toady?

I think instead the vodka is mixed with lemonade powder. It's called "Trump drizzle juice"

STILL waiting on that russian "collusion".

What i've seen from THIS set of indictments is a guy who evaded taxes 5+ years ago.

10 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Election fraud of this type is a pretty small crime. She's trying to conflate this into more than it is. It's offensive, and it shows the "character" of the man, but this is not an impeachable offense. 

Impeachable offense are what the members of the House at the time decide are impeachable offenses.   Defenders of Clinton say an affair where we wasn't exactly truthful wasn't impeachable.  I disagree; he should have been convicted for perjury.  Likewise, if it is shown the current president broke the law to swing the election, or even worse worked with a foreign enemy to do so, he should also be impeached and convicted.

If anyone in the country should be held up to the highest possible ethical and legal standards, it should be our presidents.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

We will see.  For those of you trying to write this off as nothing against the president think again.  If Cohen and/or Manafort have material they can trade to provide evidence about whatever went on with the Russians, odds are they'll use it. 

As I keep saying, let the investigation run its course.

Again, those thinking there's more of a deal to come are dreaming or ignorant of how cases like this work. If Cohen had "material they can trade" he would have done so. He had every opportunity to, said he would, and yet he didn't because there's nothing to turn over. 

How do we know? By reading the plea deal. This is the deal Cohen made - pleading out to a campaign finance violation (which isn't criminal) and doing so with inflammatory language. 

You're way off base if you think he has more to offer. 

34 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Again, those thinking there's more of a deal to come are dreaming or ignorant of how cases like this work. If Cohen had "material they can trade" he would have done so. He had every opportunity to, said he would, and yet he didn't because there's nothing to turn over. 

How do we know? By reading the plea deal. This is the deal Cohen made - pleading out to a campaign finance violation (which isn't criminal) and doing so with inflammatory language. 

You're way off base if you think he has more to offer. 

You're way off base thinking he doesn't.  You want to believe you're right because it fits your pre-conceived narrative.  Confirmation bias. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'm sorry...did I vividly hallucinate Trump himself saying that Don Jr. met with Russian intelligence in Trump tower, and that he knew about it but the information "wasn't good"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/msn/giuliani-trump-tower-meeting-was-originally-for-the-purpose-of-getting-information-about-clinton/ar-BBM7LgG

If you want to say that it didn't have an effect, and that Trump would have won anyway...fine. But come on, how much more evidence do you need that Trump is a lying con? He lied repeatedly about what the Russia meeting was about, his campaign manager has been convicted of bank and election fraud and his personal lawyer paid off prostitutes

So, Manafort was convicted of election fraud? Stuff like this is what gets me about all you Johnny-come-latelies here at PPP. Not only are you ignorant of the basics but you make shitup. Every so often we get inundated down here with a whole bunch of Gleeful Gator clones because they think the left is gaining some type of upper hand. It won't be long and you guys will crawl back into your holes to gather your strength to come back here to spread more lies and dishonest crap.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

"Impeachable offense" is whatever the Democrats say it is when they get control of the House.  

Don't pretend the law has anything to do with this anymore.  We've been past the rule of law for years.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You're way off base thinking he doesn't.  You want to believe you're right because it fits your pre-conceived narrative.  Confirmation bias. 

There's more to back up my position than yours. They held the plea under seal for four months. It didn't just happen yesterday. For four months he's been talking with them. This is the best he could offer them. If he had more, he would have given more. 

See, I'm pointing to evidence: the filing itself which spells it out, and the fact that it was kept sealed for four months while media narratives about Cohen flipping ran wild. You're pointing to nothing to prop up your opinion. Nothing. Cohen is going to do 3-5 years and blew any chance of getting a pardon from Trump with that filing yesterday. If he had a get out of jail free card, like Gates did on Manafort, Cohen would have used it. There's no logical explanation why he wouldn't. 

Yet, he's going to jail for 3-5 years now... which was a reduced sentence. Meaning he cut a deal already. Meaning, that section on campaign finance violation is the deal he cut

Who's suffering from confirmation bias?

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

"It's immoral to let a sucker keep his money."

Canada Bill Jones / The Clinton Machine

That seems to be the guiding principle of the support network behind Stzok, McCabe, now Cohen with these go fund me pages. 

Men of principles. All of them. :lol: 

Edited by Deranged Rhino

28 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

There's more to back up my position than yours. They held the plea under seal for four months. It didn't just happen yesterday. For four months he's been talking with them. This is the best he could offer them. If he had more, he would have given more. 

See, I'm pointing to evidence: the filing itself which spells it out, and the fact that it was kept sealed for four months while media narratives about Cohen flipping ran wild. You're pointing to nothing to prop up your opinion. Nothing. Cohen is going to do 3-5 years and blew any chance of getting a pardon from Trump with that filing yesterday. If he had a get out of jail free card, like Gates did on Manafort, Cohen would have used it. There's no logical explanation why he wouldn't. 

Yet, he's going to jail for 3-5 years now... which was a reduced sentence. Meaning he cut a deal already. Meaning, that section on campaign finance violation is the deal he cut

Who's suffering from confirmation bias?

Here's the deal.  I work in the medical field.  If  someone has  a kidney disorder I consult a nephrologist, and not  a truck driver.  I spent all last night watching a variety of prosecutors voicing their educated opinions on the Cohen stuff.  I read a number of different sites with generally differing perspectives.  And I listened to Cohen's actual lawyer.  The vast vast majority disagree with you and indicated that the story on Cohen's cooperation is far from closed.  

So so tell me:  are you a prosecutor who has actual experience in such matters?  Or are you a truck driver?

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

"It's immoral to let a sucker keep his money."

Canada Bill Jones / The Clinton Machine

That seems to be the guiding principle of the support network behind Stzok, McCabe, now Cohen with these go fund me pages. 

Men of principles. All of them. :lol: 

What these politicians have done to gofundme... SMH

At this point, I'd be willing to buy Lanny Davis is being paid by the Clintons in this matter. The stench of why he was hired, and the political statement forced in this plea, is worse than a garbage scow on the way to China.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Here's the deal.  I work in the medical field.  If  someone has  a kidney disorder I consult a nephrologist, and not  a truck driver.  I spent all last night watching a variety of prosecutors voicing their educated opinions on the Cohen stuff.  I read a number of different sites with generally differing perspectives.  And I listened to Cohen's actual lawyer.  The vast vast majority disagree with you and indicated that the story on Cohen's cooperation is far from closed.  

... All that, and you didn't bother to read the primary source material, the plea, for yourself? Instead you listened to other people tell you what to think, what it means, and capped it off by listening to Clinton's lawyer (who's represented Cohen for 2 weeks)... and you think that's thinking for yourself? 

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

So so tell me:  are you a prosecutor who has actual experience in such matters?  Or are you a truck driver?

I worked in the legal field for a number of years. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

... All that, and you didn't bother to read the primary source material, the plea, for yourself? Instead you listened to other people tell you what to think, what it means, and capped it off by listening to Clinton's lawyer (who's represented Cohen for 2 weeks)... and you think that's thinking for yourself? 

I worked in the legal field for a number of years. 

Yes, I listen to people with expertise in the field.  Like most people do.  And then I form my opinion.  Your source stuff is a broken record now.  

I have patients who see me because of my expertise.  Maybe I should send them to you.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Yes, I listen to people with expertise in the field.  Like most people do.  And then I form my opinion.  

Without doing any due diligence on your own, thus you have no way of knowing whether the "experts" are shining you on or not. All that does is assure that you're misinformed. 

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Your source stuff is a broken record now.  

It's important. Only those suffering from severe confirmation bias would deny that examining evidence for yourself first hand is informative - more informative than relying on second hand "expert" opinions. 

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I have patients who see me because of my expertise.  Maybe I should send them to you.

When the patients come to you and list their symptoms, do you do an examination of them personally? Or do you go to another doctor and ask them for their opinion on your patient's symptoms? Or do you go watch a bunch of YouTube interviews with other doctors talking about their experiences? 

You of course examine the patient yourself first. Right? Because you're not a moron. That's all I'm asking you to do. It's amazing that you're resisting so hard being told to hone your OWN discernment. Not mine. Not anyone else's, but your own. We are in a (dis)information war where information is weaponized and manipulated to propagandize you into stupidity. Your response to that is to turn a blind eye to direct, primary evidence you can read for yourself because you don't think you're qualified to make a judgement. 

In other words, you outsource your thinking to others without asking yourself, or caring to check, if those people have agendas of their own. If they have reason to lie to you. To mislead you. 

That's a dangerous way to live in today's (dis)information war. It only assures you're deaf, dumb, and blind.

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes, I listen to people with expertise in the field.  Like most people do.  And then I form my opinion.  Your source stuff is a broken record now.  

Stating that you put any credence to anything Lanny Davis said comes close to disqualifying you to be a part of the human race.   

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Actually, you raise a point that should stop and make you think if you have even a drop of competence in your field.

Your patients see you because they have expertise in themselves.  They know when something doesn't feel right.  They feel the pain, or discomfort.  They come to you because they want to know the root cause.

But, quite often, you fail them and get the root cause wrong.  They go on, dealing with the issue, trying new treatments, looking for second opinions, because you were wrong.

The fact that you are a medical expert does not confer on you the ability to correctly diagnose without the patient being a subject matter expert in what they are feeling.

• Like (+1) 2