Carucci: Fixing footwork has allowed Josh Allen to make big strides with the Bills

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

His completion rate so far is exactly what it was in college.

but what does your eyeball test say.. I have seen a few errant throws but more so I have seen some very nice passes from Allen. If he forces a throw it has been mostly into places where only the WR could make a play on it which is what you want...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

but what does your eyeball test say.. I have seen a few errant throws but more so I have seen some very nice passes from Allen. If he forces a throw it has been mostly into places where only the WR could make a play on it which is what you want...

My eyeballs say he looks good. I thought he looked good playing for Wyoming too.

21 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Completion rate and accuracy are different things. 

You can be accurate and have a low completion rate, but it's unlikely that you can be inaccurate and have a high completion rate.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If you throw a lot of dump offs, RB screens and WR bubble screens you can.

Those types of passes will obviously improve the completion rate, but inaccurate QBs can screw those up too.  You won't be  starting QB for long  in most places if you can't throw the ball over the line of scrimmage.

Edited by Sky Diver

18 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Those types of passes will obviously improve the completion rate, but inaccurate QBs can screw those up too.  You won't be  starting QB for long  in most places if you can't throw the ball over the line of scrimmage.

True. I was just contributing to the argument that completion stats are not always a good indication of accuracy.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Shhh.  Folks around here don't want to hear that.

Do you want to hear that in the first game he suffered from drops and poor route-running?   Two more completions and he’s in the 60% range. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

True. I was just contributing to the argument that completion stats are not always a good indication of accuracy.

Yup. And that’s what the PFF thing was about. 

You could see improvement from Carolina to Cleveland.  Against Carolina he missed on the 3 50 yard passes.  Besides those his short and intermediate accuracy has been fantastic.  His accuracy was told to erratic.  Make great passes and look terrible on simple ones.  That has not been the case at all.  He has had fantastic ball placement and his velocity on shorter passes allows for more yac.  He easily gives Buffalo the best chance to win.  Getting the start Sunday is the last dotting of I and crossing the T to him winning the position.  

11 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

You could see improvement from Carolina to Cleveland.  Against Carolina he missed on the 3 50 yard passes.  Besides those his short and intermediate accuracy has been fantastic.  His accuracy was told to erratic.  Make great passes and look terrible on simple ones.  That has not been the case at all.  He has had fantastic ball placement and his velocity on shorter passes allows for more yac.  He easily gives Buffalo the best chance to win.  Getting the start Sunday is the last dotting of I and crossing the T to him winning the position.  

I agree.  I had never seen Allen in college, but from what he's shown so far, I would not characterize him as wild.  In fact, he's been pretty much the opposite.

9 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Probably better paid and less demanding in his current role.

I agree, his camps probably well attended and he probably charges a good amount for 1 on 1 training...

http://qbsummit.com/palmer/

VISION

Our vision is to help quarterbacks actually see tangible results.  Summit is the home for Quarterback development and not simply a camp for volume throws.

WE DO THIS BY FOCUSING ON 3 PARTS OF THE GAME:

THE STROKE

• Mechanics to allow you to get everything out of what you’ve got
  • How to make all 3 throws
  • Train the upper body to allow you to throw consistently, every throw

FOOTBALL INTELLIGENCE

• How to take notes (trust us, you’ll love it)
  • Roles and responsibilities of everyone on Defense
  • How coverages really work
  • How to watch tape like a pro

THE PERSON

• How can the mental side of the game become an asset and not a liability
  • How to maximize the platform you’ve been given, for giving back
  • How to use social media in a good way and how to be smart with it
  • How to build content with a gopro and make it viral

Edited by ricojes

9 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Palmer was also the guy who was laughing at the supposed 60% and up completion percentage standard for doing well in the NFL.

He said Allen played two years and threw 650 balls and here's Josh Rosen throwing twice as many over a three year college career (his junior year was a sub 60% btw) in a completely different system, the few percentage points difference becomes statistically insignificant when you look at every throw and grade them out, which he did for all five top qb's. 

He likened it to saying the RB who has the highest yards per carry average is almost NEVER the most talented running back, because of the variables (Oline, strength of passing game, strength of schedule, running into a stacked box etc)

Well, either way, like all things in the NFL, we'll know for sure about Allen someday..............

One of my favorite phrases is "numbers never lie, but they rarely tell the whole truth". Looking strictly at completion %s, the general observer would assume that Rosen is more accurate than Allen. That may or may not be true, but simply using completion % isn't an exact barometer. Several other factors play a role in those numbers. What percentage of each player's passes were 40+ yards downfield that decrease completion %? What percentage were WR screens that increase completion %? Schemes are different, supporting talent is different, etc. Its far from analyzing and comparing in a controlled environment because there's so many variables involved.

The Bills QB search was over a year in the making, evidenced by their restructuring of Taylor's contract, and the acquisition of numerous draft picks shorlty after, so I would think its safe to say that McBeane did their due diligence, and came to the conclusion that Allen had a good chance to become more than most casual fans might expect. They don't go off of regurgitated media narratives, they trust their own judgement. And while Allen's completion % wasn't ideal and has at least some reflection on accuracy issues, there was plenty more to like about the kid to give the guys in charge reason for optimism. He's very smart, has a good head on his shoulders, comes from a solid, hard working family upbringing, very motivated after being overlooked since high school. And of course, he has a cannon arm that can more than just cut through windy winter WNY conditions (Wyoming weather is pretty rough that time of year), and is athletic enough to avoid pressure that would create more hurries or sacks of a less mobile QB. 

Footwork was his biggest issue. Not saying it was the reason for a poor completion%, but certainly a contributing factor. In a short amount of time, Allen has improved in that area, and Palmer was a major help there. Things like foorwork and throwing motion can be worked on. Being a spoiled dbag and having a history of concussions cannot be worked on. 

He's slowly checking off some of the boxes that were question marks. And while its encouraging to see, I'm still a bit hesitant and need to see much more before I'm ready to call him the savior. But it definitely is the closest feeling of having finally found that player that we've had since Kelly. 

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Palmer should have at least something named after him.  What about a small pond near Orchard Park?  Palmer's Pond?

Worst case scenario, I'll sell bananas outside New Era field.

I'll call it Palmer's Bananas.

10 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...great find Yolo......Palmer is yet another ex-QB that really likes this kid.............

I wonder how much Palmer makes with these guys, because he’s worth more than their agent! He gets them gazillions of EXTRA dollars.  I hope he’s tonning  it. 

Edited by Augie

47 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Worst case scenario, I'll sell bananas outside New Era field.

I'll call it Palmer's Bananas.

I made it to page 5 with no comments, but I’m curious if you will be selling Plantanes as well?

46 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so if it is an initial weakness and now is on the road of correction to make him a better player, what the hell is your point?.......

He was referencing the pun....making “strides”...in “footwork”

Level 8 Pun

• Haha (+1) 1