Please name Josh Allen the starter

The offensive line took a hit in the off-season. Will that impact the decision as to who will start at quarterback in Week 1?

BEANE: “No. The line is its own entity. And again, we’ve got to put the best quarterback out there who helps us win each week. That will be our motto throughout the year. Hopefully the starter we pick for Week 1 starts throughout the year and does a great job, stays healthy and we don’t have to switch. But, you know, obviously things can change so we’ll take it a week at a time.”

Bills GM: First preseason game could be pivotal for rookie QB Josh Allen

For perspective, I can vividly recall when Lou Saban stole Jackie Kemp in the wee hours as Sid Gilman tried to sneak him past waivers. WNY went beserk. Also, when Trump ruined the USFL and Kelly HAD to sign with us. Roadsides were crowded from the airport to OBD. 

This feels the same way.

Give the kid the keys, that’s what he is here for. Let the kid learn from his own play. His mistakes and his success. Chances are Peterman or McCarron are gonna make their fair share of mistakes if they start also, we are talking about 2 5th round picks who have combined for less then a half dozen starts. 

Cam Newton had a lot of flaws coming out of college and was flat out terrible in preseason his rookie year, he started day 1 and it worked out. Carson Wentz was suppose to sit behind Bradford in yearone and despite him being unhealthy for most of TC, they shipped Bradford and started him week 1. Derrick Carr was suppose to sit behind Shaub and had a decent week 4 preseason game before being handed the keys. 

Allan is the best QB on the roster, you can’t !@#$ing baby him. He can make plays and throws that could help us win games. Defences will have to gameplan for the arm which will hopefully make things  easier on McCoy and our O line. Do you think that is gonna happen with Peterman or McCarron. The quicker Allen reaches his potential the better this team is gonna be. Procrastinating the inevitable is just wasting time. Let him play, we’ll reap the rewards in 2019. While sitting might make it alittle easier on him, he’s still gonna make mistakes when he steps on that field. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/18/2018 at 11:43 AM, allpurpose said:

McC was never going to lead you or the Bengals to the promised land. He was, after all an Alabama QB which for all intents and purposes is almost Cleveland when it comes to QBs.. The last truly successful QB from Alabama was Broadway Joe and that was awhile back before most football fans were even born although I'm old enough to remember him.. It appears Allen will get an initiation by fire now and god help him with Russell Bodine as the center.. RB is the embodiment of a turnstile that people going through don't even have to buy a ticket.. The only upside to Bodine is that he's pretty durable, but he'll give up on pressure more often than not. 
Well, good luck to the young man. I hope he does well except against the Bengals. 

Just for clarification, I'm a Bengals fan, but do enjoy discussing the game with fans of different teams..

Kenny Stabler

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Peterman is a far cry from Bledsoe and Farve.

Its  really not about how much better Farve, Bledsoe and Alex Smith are than Peterman. It's really only about whether Allen is ready to start without risking his continued development. It is probably true that had AR and TB been behind lesser QBs they may well have seen the field sooner than they did. Nevertheless it is also true that AR's mechanics were completely overhauled while he was backing up Favre and that process took three years. When the great AR falls back into his bad tendencies even he underperforms. A couple of years ago you will recall his bad stretch of 5 games or so that just about torpedoed the Packers season. He had to go back with his QB coach and iron out the kinks before getting back on track. Mahomes did not sit out a year because Alex Smith was the future. He sat out because he was deemed not ready to start due to mechanical, principally footwork related issues. The Chiefs were lucky to have Smith but it was clear from the get go that he was only a placeholder. 

Allen has undoubtedly shown very encouraging signs in his preseason appearances so far that he understands what he has to do to get better. He has played more within himself and with greater discipline and generally avoiding poor decisions. But he hasn't reinvented himself yet. Threading the needle to Ray Ray with a bullet is extremely impressive no doubt, but this sort of throw is something that he has always done with fairly regular frequency, and indeed partly explains why many talent evaluators love him (and clearly with justification, as far as that goes). The remaining question is can he scale back on the velocity of his throws when it comes to the many plays where elite arm strength is not only not required but is to be avoided? I find it hard to believe that in the few months since the draft he has been able to accomplish the difficult transition from power thrower to polished passer. The pass he threw rolling out to his right and falling backwards off his back foot that Lee caught is again extremely impressive as an example of pure unadulterated arm strength. Everybody was jaw dropped of course. But that is exactly the sort of thing that you don't want him to do in the NFL. Against top tier defenders that is much more likely to result in a turnover than a completion. All day and twice on Sundays.

Not only did AR, TB and Mahomes get some time (and admittedly maybe more than was needed in AR's case) but they also got to start behind much better O-lines and better Os overall with more proven weapons than Allen will have. With our O-line problems I don't feel good about him going against three of the best front sevens in the game right off the bat. Those teams have good secondaries as well. IMO it's asking too much of the rook. For sure you learn by actually playing but not when the odds are totally stacked against you.

Allen gives every indication of making progress and his continued development should remain the focus. Frankly I hope the Bills wait on him, but who knows. They haven't even given him a proper QB coach.

Edited by starrymessenger

There is no question here.  It’s very clear and very simple:

Start Allen in 3rd preseason game, give him the whole first half.  He plays well, he starts week 1 period.  He struggles, let NP start at least week 1.  Then McD can look to switch to Allen early in the season as he progresses in practice if NP isn’t getting the job done.

End thread.  :)

• Like (+1) 3

I just don't want to see Allen get shell shocked behind this OL, it's quite bad, Ducassee/Bodine shouldn't even be backups let alone starters. They should beg Ritchie Incognito to come back and have Groy at C, since that won't happen maybe it wouldn't be a terrible Idea to have Peterman/McCarron killed for 1 season why we fix the OL completely.

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The offensive line took a hit in the off-season. Will that impact the decision as to who will start at quarterback in Week 1?

BEANE: “No. The line is its own entity. And again, we’ve got to put the best quarterback out there who helps us win each week. That will be our motto throughout the year. Hopefully the starter we pick for Week 1 starts throughout the year and does a great job, stays healthy and we don’t have to switch. But, you know, obviously things can change so we’ll take it a week at a time.”

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I just don't want to see Allen get shell shocked behind this OL, it's quite bad, Ducassee/Bodine shouldn't even be backups let alone starters. They should beg Ritchie Incognito to come back and have Groy at C, since that won't happen maybe it wouldn't be a terrible Idea to have Peterman/McCarron killed for 1 season why we fix the OL completely.

The OL is a separate consideration that has no bearing on who will be the starting QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Allen has shown to navigate the trash and make plays.  NOBODY else did.  I wasn't in the start Allen camp until Friday night.  Now, as long as preseason game three goes well for him, I hope not to see him again until regular season.

Let Peterman play all of game four.  He's going to need it.

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There is no question here.  It’s very clear and very simple:

Start Allen in 3rd preseason game, give him the whole first half.  He plays well, he starts week 1 period.  He struggles, let NP start at least week 1.  Then McD can look to switch to Allen early in the season as he progresses in practice if NP isn’t getting the job done.

End thread.  :)

If they start Nate I could absolutely see a Savage / Watson 2017 situation where they realise by half time of game 1 that they screwed up and switch them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

JMO but I have concerns about JA starting at this time in the regular season. I have a hard time believing that he has cleaned up the problems that were so evident in his college tape in the few months since he was drafted. It took AR three years to work out the kinks in his game - and they were fewer and less serious than Allen's. More recently a more accurate passer (under the tutelage of Andy Reid no less), P. Mahomes, was given a year to straighten out his footwork. 

JA brings as much physical ability to the table as Cam Newton or Andrew Luck. But he is a lot less polished than they were when they came into the league. JA is not Carson Wentz either. Wentz was fully in control of a pro style offence. Allen's offence may have featured pro style sets, but it's not just lining up under centre that makes it a pro offence. Unlike Wentz, Allen was given simplified half field read responsibilities where he threw to his receivers if and when they were open not unlike in a typical college spread system. He did not run a true pro style timing offence.

My concern is not that starting him early will destroy his confidence. He may at this time actually have too much of that. My concern is that starting him now behind a porous line will make it much more difficult for the coaches to work on correcting his flaws and bad tendencies, even if he gives the team the best chance of winning in the short term. Unless that stuff gets cleaned up he will never become franchise transforming player we all want him to be. 

My guess is that the braintrust will resist fan and media pressure to start him right away, meaning that we are likely to see Peterman.

With Mac out for what is now an indeterminate period the Bills are in a really tough spot as their options have been considerably limited.

Good thing you aren't making the decision.  You act like you have all the answers when you don't know much about Allen or his capabilities. You should have seen him in his first start at Wyoming.  Everyone could tell he had the "it" factor in his first two series. He unfortunately got hurt. But he picks right off where he was the very next year. If you can't see how special he is, please don't try and get others thinking in this defeatist attitude. Because I can guarantee you Allen won't be thinking like that. Listen to what the players around him say about him, they know he is going to be a good one right off the bat. None of them are saying let him sit and figure it out.

I bet if Allen threw for 3 td''s and ran for another next week we would still hear this same old story you throw out. At least see how he does next game. I would have loved it if Daboll would have let him air it out last game. One has to figure they wanted Allen to work on his short game the way the play calling was.

Edited by BB@Shooter
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If they start Nate I could absolutely see a Savage / Watson 2017 situation where they realise by half time of game 1 that they screwed up and switch them. 

I can see that happening. And then McD has to go back to his team for the second time and apologize, and say I made the same mistake again. The one thing I don't tolerate in you I am asking you to do for me. 

15 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

Good thing you aren't making the decision.  You act like you have all the answers when you don't know much about Allen or his capabilities. You should have seen him in his first start at Wyoming.  Everyone could tell he had the "it" factor in his first two series. He unfortunately got hurt. But he picks right off where he was the very next year. If you can't see how special he is, please don't try and get others thinking in this defeatist attitude. Because I can guarantee you Allen won't be thinking like that. Listen to what the players around him say about him, they know he is going to be a good one right off the bat. None of them are saying let him sit and figure it out.

I bet if Allen threw for 3 td''s and ran for another next week we would still hear this same old story you throw out. At least see how he does next game. I would have loved it if Daboll would have let him air it out last game. One has to figure they wanted Allen to work on his short game the way the play calling was.

Im very high on Allen, and why not. His arm strength and athleticism are nothing short of elite. He's also bright, dedicated and hardworking. And he appears to have a great personality. I'm on record as saying all along that he fully justified a high first round selection regardless of his small school pedigree and (let's say) uneven 2017 tape. He could have reasonably gone # 1 overall.

There is nothing defeatist about my post. It's more like "protectionist" because I actually realize how valuable an asset he is to the Bills and the fanbase. I want the Bills to manage him in the way that gives him the best chance to succeed. 

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I really think Allen has done enough to have his shot with the 1s in game 3. If he keeps doing what he's been doing getting better each time it's going to be awfully hard to keep him from starting on day 1.

I agree that he has earned the start in game 3. If Peterman is destined to start against the Ravens, his playing with the 2s and 3s is not going to make a big difference to what he brings to the table. Not only has Allen earned it but his progression is well served IMO if he gets to start against the opposing 1s.

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Im very high on Allen, and why not. His arm strength and athleticism are nothing short of elite. He's also bright, dedicated and hardworking. And he appears to have a great personality. I'm on record as saying all along that he fully justified a high first round selection regardless of his small school pedigree and (let's say) uneven 2017 tape. He could have reasonably gone # 1 overall.

There is nothing defeatist about my post. It's more like "protectionist" because I actually realize how valuable an asset he is to the Bills and the fanbase. I want the Bills to manage him in the way that gives him the best chance to succeed. 

This is fair enough.  There is nothing useful he will learn from holding second year 1 NFL start Nate Peterman's clipboard.  If it is a "safety issue",  then I guess I would expect teams with the worst offensive lines in the NFL to sit even their veteran QBs.  No one does that for good reason.  Teams play their best QB when healthy.  Allen is the Bill's best QB.  There is zero question.