Nick O'Leary Possibly on the Bubble with Jason Croom Emerging - Jack's Grandson Released

On 8/13/2018 at 8:52 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

O leary is solid but unspectacular. If he was on the team I wouldnt be upset, if he is cut I wouldnt be upset.

He could find himself on another team. Talented enough to play at this level

I'm sure he would look perfect in a PATS*** uni. :ph34r:

• Haha (+1) 1

Nick O'Leary spot may be in danger
Croom has been making waves all camp with his play, but he's now been a regular on the first team for parts of practice for about a week.

Nick O'Leary has been dropped to the third team for most of practice and dropped a short pass from Allen in an 11-on-11 drill that seemed to be a snapshot of his entire camp. With Lee also expected to be a serious contender to make the team, O'Leary might have to have some huge games in the preseason to make the final roster.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nick O'Leary spot may be in danger
Croom has been making waves all camp with his play, but he's now been a regular on the first team for parts of practice for about a week.

Nick O'Leary has been dropped to the third team for most of practice and dropped a short pass from Allen in an 11-on-11 drill that seemed to be a snapshot of his entire camp. With Lee also expected to be a serious contender to make the team, O'Leary might have to have some huge games in the preseason to make the final roster.

So that roster spot is likely between O’Leary and Lee.  O’Leary all day brotha!  You’ll see.

• Like (+1) 1

I would be really upset to see O’leary go, say what you will but the guy really sticks out to me making some clutch catches. Clay isn’t exactly mr Ironman id rather have someone out there who I’ve seen make key plays in games before. But I know almost nothing of the other guys in the competition, so in the end I’d be sad but have to trust the coaches decision. Or dare say trust the pro**** ??

Yikes!

3) A glimpse into life without Charles Clay
- As the Bills practiced on the turf field for the first time this camp due to all the rain earlier in the day, they rested starting tight end Charles Clay likely due to the unforgiving nature those turf fields tend to have. It's also probably why the Bills chose to have a practice in shorts rather than in full pads. However, it was good that the Bills rested Clay primarily because it helped indicate what their tight end depth chart really is -- especially with all the changes over the last three days. It was clear throughout practice, too. The top three tight ends, without fail, were Jason Croom, Khari Lee, and Logan Thomas. Nick O'Leary, once the second tight end for the majority of camp, was yet again pushed down to work with the second and third-team offenses. I've written it the last few days, but O'Leary is in major roster trouble as it stands. The Bills love Lee, they've seen Croom develop, and Thomas has become a well-rounded tight end over time. Not having Clay at practice is just more proof that O'Leary needs to step it up.

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yikes!

3) A glimpse into life without Charles Clay
- As the Bills practiced on the turf field for the first time this camp due to all the rain earlier in the day, they rested starting tight end Charles Clay likely due to the unforgiving nature those turf fields tend to have. It's also probably why the Bills chose to have a practice in shorts rather than in full pads. However, it was good that the Bills rested Clay primarily because it helped indicate what their tight end depth chart really is -- especially with all the changes over the last three days. It was clear throughout practice, too. The top three tight ends, without fail, were Jason Croom, Khari Lee, and Logan Thomas. Nick O'Leary, once the second tight end for the majority of camp, was yet again pushed down to work with the second and third-team offenses. I've written it the last few days, but O'Leary is in major roster trouble as it stands. The Bills love Lee, they've seen Croom develop, and Thomas has become a well-rounded tight end over time. Not having Clay at practice is just more proof that O'Leary needs to step it up.

Yeah O’Leary is alot of trouble. My guess will try and shop him before cutting him though. 

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah O’Leary is alot of trouble. My guess will try and shop him before cutting him though. 

I hope they do shop him. He's a South Florida boy, so Miami, Tampa and even Jacksonville should be interested. His heart is likely not in Buffalo, so he'd welcome a move. Kyle Williams is his best friend on the team, so it'd hurt Williams to see him go.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Nick O'Leary Possibly on the Bubble with Jason Croom Emerging

Jason Croom shaking up Buffalo Bills tight end depth chart

In the early part of the offseason, many speculated that the Buffalo Bills would undergo little change at the tight end position. With Charles Clay firmly entrenched as the starter, many fans and pundits assumed that Nick O’Leary would slot in as the backup, just as he did last season, with Logan Thomas or Khari Lee (or both) rounding out the unit.

However, as training camp has progressed, one thing has become abundantly clear: reports of the competition’s end were greatly exaggerated. Jason Croom, who joined the Bills as an undrafted free agent prior to the 2017 season, has emerged as a darkhorse candidate not only to make the 53-man roster, but to play a significant role with the club.

Croom began camp working almost exclusively with the backups, and he is currently listed as the Bills’ fourth-team tight end on the depth chart found on their official website. However, over the last few days of practice, Croom has worked in with the starting unit, even with Charles Claypracticing. When Buffalo’s veteran tight end had a rest day on Tuesday night, it was Croom who replaced him with the starters.

Who appears to have fallen as a result? Nick O’Leary, everyone’s favorite bare-handed pass-catching grandson of a famous golfer, seems to have been demoted to the third team as of late. Even Khari Lee has seen some run with the first team, yet O’Leary, who replaced Clay in the lineup last season when he tore his meniscus, has not taken many first-team reps in practice, if at all.

Could Clay be on trade block?  I do like O'Leary but he is 4th on depth chart IMO.  I do agree that they might try and trade Nick, but knowing that Beane likes to make trades, shed cap, and makeover team with his handpicked players-could Clay be the surprise trade of camp(for WR or CB)?  Otherwise I stand by my prediction- we keep 4 TE- Clay, Thomas, Croom, and Khari.  We might as well try and recoup something of value for Nick or one of the other 4

19 hours ago, Pete said:

Could Clay be on trade block?  I do like O'Leary but he is 4th on depth chart IMO.  I do agree that they might try and trade Nick, but knowing that Beane likes to make trades, shed cap, and makeover team with his handpicked players-could Clay be the surprise trade of camp(for WR or CB)?  Otherwise I stand by my prediction- we keep 4 TE- Clay, Thomas, Croom, and Khari.  We might as well try and recoup something of value for Nick or one of the other 4

Hunter Henry was going to have huge year for Chargers- and is out for year after blowing out knee.  Gates retired.  Tight end is very big in Phillip Rivers offense.  Right now they have Virgil Green and a bunch of trash.  They are a prime trading partner.  We have 5 decent tight ends.  Lets make a deal before they steal one after cutdown day!

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/13/2018 at 8:50 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why?  NFL stands for Not For Long and O'leary is by no means an established multi-dimensional TE. 

...hard to believe 'ol "Not For Long" is still coaching...in the CFL......as a DC no less.......that he was older than a Walmart door greeter by now.................

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Hunter Henry was going to have huge year for Chargers- and is out for year after blowing out knee.  Gates retired.  Tight end is very big in Phillip Rivers offense.  Right now they have Virgil Green and a bunch of trash.  They are a prime trading partner.  We have 5 decent tight ends.  Lets make a deal before they steal one after cutdown day!

The Chargers are an interesting potential trade partner but even though it doesn't sound like a lot I don't think any team will step up and trade for Clay's $4.5M base salary. 

The Bills have been traditionally inept at finding TE's so we are just happy to have him but an always-beat-up TE like Clay isn't going to be seen as a great pickup most places.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Chargers are an interesting potential trade partner but even though it doesn't sound like a lot I don't think any team will step up and trade for Clay's $4.5M base salary. 

The Bills have been traditionally inept at finding TE's so we are just happy to have him but an always-beat-up TE like Clay isn't going to be seen as a great pickup most places.

I don't think the Bills will consider trading one of the few offensive play-makers that needs to be accounted for by the defense, when healthy of course.  Especially with the current question marks at WR.

I'm intrigued, but not ready to count on Croom for anything.  Just as likely that he goes the way of previous training camp "stars", rather than turning into a contributor.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills would make a huge mistake cutting O'Leary. He has the best hands on the team. His first catch was nice, out-battling a defender for a nice gain. Obviously, the TD was blown coverage, but he showed good balance despite getting caught up to by the defender, and still made it in the end zone. 

My question is what are the cap ramifications of trading or releasing Clay? Dude is a worthless blocker, and certainly doesn't offer millions of dollars in difference from the pass catching ability (or route running) of our other TEs