Nick O'Leary Possibly on the Bubble with Jason Croom Emerging - Jack's Grandson Released

2) Surprise cut candidate: Nick O'Leary
- On Friday, I made a note in my Day 12 observations of Nick O'Leary's surprising placement as reps went on. That day, I said we shouldn't rush to judgment -- especially during a lighter practice. Well, that same trend notably continued on Sunday. O'Leary, once thought of as a shoe-in for the 53-man roster, was saddled with the third-team offense for the second straight practice and may well be fighting for his spot on the team. To this point, O'Leary hasn't done a ton to stand out. He's an average blocker and an average athlete that has reliable hands and is serviceable if called into duty. In training camp though, O'Leary has started to fade into the background as other tight ends are just outperforming him. Second-year player Jason Croom has been fantastic all summer and made a difficult catch during Sunday's practice and in the preseason game, and it appears that he is improving his stock to make the team by the day. Khari Lee, once an afterthought, is the best blocking tight end on the team and has shown both above-average athleticism and playmaking abilities with his performances during the game and in camp. Lee seems to be a player that the Bills have liked and trusted more and more as the summer has gone on. Both players got time with the first-team offense while the Bills demoted O'Leary. Logan Thomas even worked with the first unit at times, showing O'Leary's current standing with the roster. With two big-time camp performers at his position, O'Leary now finds himself on the bubble, and near the top of the list of surprise cut candidates when the end of the preseason gets here.

7 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

This is great news for Nick given Joe B's record of prognostication.

? 

Yeah, but all the other comments in the piece carry water. Croom & Lee ARE performing while Golden Bear III is being relegated to 3rd team.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/13/2018 at 8:48 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I wouldn’t read too, too much into O’Leary with the 3rd stringers.  They may just be trying to give more reps to Thomas, Lee, and Croom to see what shakes out.  I think O’Leary is safe as our #2 TE.

Why?  NFL stands for Not For Long and O'Leary is by no means an established multi-dimensional TE. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

They know what O'Leary gives them.   They don't know what the other TE's have to offer.   I think he still #2 on the depth chart and this is just a way to identify the #3 guy by giving him reps with better players.

That said, if Nick doesn't make the team, we'll still see him twice a year when we play the Pats...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

They know what O'Leary gives them.   They don't know what the other TE's have to offer.   I think he still #2 on the depth chart and this is just a way to identify the #3 guy by giving him reps with better players.

That said, if Nick doesn't make the team, we'll still see him twice a year when we play the Pats...

Ahhh the typical Pats will take our cut player post. You just forgot the BB is a genius when he does it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why?  NFL stands for Not For Long and O'leary is by no means an established multi-dimensional TE. 

Welp, since you want to piss in my fruit loops, I will contend that neither are the other three. Logan Thomas can’t block to save his life.  I haven’t see Lee so much of anything, really, save for his catch (which was remarkable) in the Carolina game.  Croom has flashed as a pass catcher, but I’m not so sure about his ability as a blocker either.  

Nick is a proven commodity who is improving.  He made good strides in the blocking game down the stretch last year.  I think he makes the final 53.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I wouldn’t read too, too much into O’Leary with the 3rd stringers.  They may just be trying to give more reps to Thomas, Lee, and Croom to see what shakes out.  I think O’Leary is safe as our #2 TE.

I wouldn’t say he’s safe for the #2 spot... but yes, it’s more or less to say to the other guys “you had a fair shot”... if they keep lighting it up, maybe OLeary does get cut.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Welp, since you want to piss in my fruit loops, I will contend that neither are the other three. Logan Thomas can’t block to save his life.  I haven’t see Lee so much of anything, really, save for his catch (which was remarkable) in the Carolina game.  Croom has flashed as a pass catcher, but I’m not so sure about his ability as a blocker either.  

Nick is a proven commodity who is improving.  He made good strides in the blocking game down the stretch last year.  I think he makes the final 53.  

Piss in your fruit loops. :lol:   Players on this team have to prove themselves on a continual basis as the HC says constantly.  You can think whatever you want, but time will tell with other players emerging and being rewarded with reps over NO.   He will be given nothing based on previous performances. 

1 minute ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I wouldn’t say he’s safe for the #2 spot... but yes, it’s more or less to say to the other guys “you had a fair shot”... if they keep lighting it up, maybe OLeary does get cut.

Fair point, however, I do think his odds of making the 53 are pretty good.  Considering the other guys competing.  I would suspect that Croom is his biggest competition at this point?