Nick O'Leary Possibly on the Bubble with Jason Croom Emerging - Jack's Grandson Released

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Such a sensitive weakling. Contribute to the thread with football discussion or be gone.  You've done enough polluting here. 

Sensitive weakling?  Keep the name calling going.  Makes you appear to be so tough.

I’m trying to, but you won’t leave me alone ? 

Go away, please.

45 minutes ago, Lurker said:

They know what O'Leary gives them.   They don't know what the other TE's have to offer.   I think he still #2 on the depth chart and this is just a way to identify the #3 guy by giving him reps with better players.

That said, if Nick doesn't make the team, we'll still see him twice a year when we play the Pats...

Have to agree with this post.  I don't think O'Leary is on any bubble.

Bolded part would probably be the case.

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Sensitive weakling?  Keep the name calling going.  Makes you appear to be so tough.

I’m trying to, but you won’t leave me alone ? 

Go away, please.

Yes. I'll go away from the thread I started that discusses O'Leary's status on the team. Makes sense. :blink:

1 minute ago, nucci said:

fair enough but not all TEs are good blockers....he's more of a receiving TE....

Also a fair point.  I guess the question is...does Thomas’ value as a pass catcher outweigh his inadequacies as a blocker?  Further, does O’Leary/Croom offer a better combination of blocking/pass catching?  I guess that’s for the coaching staff to figure out.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

How is a player that has 32 catched for 473 and 2 TDs over a three year period a Lock to make any roster?  

Simple answer is that he isn't.  He's been a decent player thus far but certainly not a guy who can't be surpassed on the depth chart. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Also a fair point.  I guess the question is...does Thomas’ value as a pass catcher outweigh his inadequacies as a blocker?  Further, does O’Leary/Croom offer a better combination of blocking/pass catching?  I guess that’s for the coaching staff to figure out.

How is a player that has 32 catches for 473 and 2 TDs over a three year period better than Croom, Thomas heck or even Lee if they are outplaying him in camp?

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yep....I prefer pass catchers as you can always put an extra lineman if needed....will be an interesting battle

Just now, SWATeam said:

He's shown flashes.  More so than anyone else fighting for a backup TE spot 

Three years in the League you want more than Flashes. You want that guynto NOT be outplayed by others on the Roster. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

But he hasnt even really been a “gamer” either 

You talk about O'Leary like he is awful.  From what I recall watching, he comes down with what is thrown at him, at least I don't recall him dropping an inordinate number of passes.  O'Leary really hasn't been the feature of the offense, so his stats will not be impressive.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Actually, his production as the #2 TE on one of the worst passing offenses in the NFL was not exactly terrible last season.

And again Not great either. Year three and he is still JAG. Not to mention drafted from a previous regime as well. 

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

You talk about O'Leary like he is awful.  From what I recall watching, he comes down with what is thrown at him, at least I don't recall him dropping an inordinate number of passes.  O'Leary really hasn't been the feature of the offense, so his stats will not be impressive.

Where did I say he is awful. Did I say he is JAG and replacable. YEP. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Three years in the League you want more than Flashes. You want that guynto NOT be outplayed by others on the Roster. 

It’s the preseason, man.  If you use the same logic looking at the RB position, both Ivory and Murphy has “outplayed” McCoy in training camp.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

That's true, but QB play has not helped him either.  I've seen some things that I like, that's all.

Just now, SWATeam said:

That's true, but QB play has not helped him either.  I've seen some things that I like, that's all.

I get it. I have too. But some here need to really see reality. That he isnt a lock for this roster. IS being outplayed currently from others and IS not a draft pick of this current regime. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Where did I say he is awful. Did I say he is JAG and replacable. YEP. 

True, you didn't infer he was awful, but rather used stats to imply that; at least that is how I took the post.  Another poster stated that if O'Leary is cut, we'll see him 2x a year vs NE.  I'd agree with that because they would most likely be able to utilize him; thus far, we have not.  I don't think O'Leary is that bad, we just have not used him much; and the chances he's had, he seemed to make the most of.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I get it. I have too. But some here need to really see reality. That he isnt a lock for this roster. IS being outplayed currently from others and IS not a draft pick of this current regime. 

Sure, he's not a lock.  But looking at all the guys fighting for a TE roster spot, I'll lean towards the one with the pedigree.  It would be great if we have something in Croom or Thomas but odds are against it.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

True, you didn't infer he was awful, but rather used stats to imply that; at least that is how I took the post.  Another poster stated that if O'Leary is cut, we'll see him 2x a year vs NE.  I'd agree with that because they would most likely be able to utilize him; thus far, we have not.  I don't think O'Leary is that bad, we just have not used him much; and the chances he's had, he seemed to make the most of.

If he is struggling in Dabols offense, clearly at this moment he is, then how will he fit in the PhD program of this offense in NE?

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Sure, he's not a lock.  But looking at all the guys fighting for a TE roster spot, I'll lean towards the one with the pedigree.  It would be great if we have something in Croom or Thomas but odds are against it.

What Pedigree. A late round pick that is struggling in the new offense. While the others are not?

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

If he is struggling in Dabols offense, clearly at this moment he is, then how will he fit in the PhD program of this offense in NE?

What Pedigree. A late round pick that is struggling in the new offense. While the others are not?

Um, John Mackey award for best TE in the country and a consensus all american...

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

O'Leary is a best a mediocre NFL  TE, he goes no big loss and i could care less if he goes to the PAts, he aint gonna turn into Gronkoski.

Still waiting for Chandler to expload up their in NE. I remember alot of people telling me that woukd happen too

Just now, MAJBobby said:

The only player I remember not fitting into NE's offense was Scott Chandler.  O'Leary >>> Chandler.  Point is, they would make it work, they always do.  I'm not saying he'll be Gronk-like production (ironic 'Gronk' and 'PhD' are used in the same sentence), but a complementary piece.

Just now, SWATeam said:

Um, John Mackey award for best TE in the country and a consensus all american...

And in the last 3 years. 

Manziel won the Heisman. How long until we stop propping of College accolades, and look at the NFL player 

• Like (+1) 1

It looks like Daboll like his TE's.   He has 1 or 2 lined up on most possessions.  I think O'Leary makes it, at least as a #3, but Logan Thomas has a lot of upside if he can begin to grasp the position.

I would surprised to see him cut, but wouldn't be surprised to see him passed on the depth chart.   Two TE sets with Clay and Thomas has a lot of potential in a modern offense.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

O'Leary is a best a mediocre NFL  TE, he goes no big loss and i could care less if he goes to the PAts, he aint gonna turn into Gronkoski.

How much would he play over Gronk and Allen or even Hollister?   This isn't even a concern should he not make the team. 

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

The only player I remember not fitting into NE's offense was Scott Chandler.  O'Leary >>> Chandler.  Point is, they would make it work, they always do.  I'm not saying he'll be Gronk-like production (ironic 'Gronk' and 'PhD' are used in the same sentence), but a complementary piece.

My point is we are running NE offense and he is struggling in said offense. How will he be better in the more advanced program of this offense?

Just now, MAJBobby said:

And in the last 3 years. 

Manziel won the Heisman. How long until we stop propping of College accolades, and look at the NFL player 

Yes, I'm shocked that a guy that works the middle of the field struggled to impress with our 100 yard per game QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Troll Toll said:

Cutting O’Leary would be a mistake. He has been more reliable than injury prone Clay.

32 catches in 3 years. Sorry that production is replaceable very easy. He is JAG

Just now, SWATeam said:

Yes, I'm shocked that a guy that works the middle of the field struggled to impress with our 100 yard per game QB.

And has been demoted in this Offense. SHOCKED i tell you. 

On 8/13/2018 at 10:05 AM, SWATeam said:

Are you saying that is a bad list?  yikes

No. I'm saying winning the award isn't a predictor of a long and successful career in the NFL. 

For the confused @fridge, it means instant Gold Jacket induction ceremony. :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz