Why Do the Bills Need a New Stadium ??

T master

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I have no problem with better food options being served more efficiently as well as craft beer options.  Also, efficient and comfortable bathrooms wouldnt be horrible.  Wouldnt mind a concourse-deck either for standing room only tickets.  Improved aesthetics, some kind of roof/protection from the wind and direct precipitation, etc.

However, a lot of the "lounges" and extra-exclusive "clubs" inside the facility IMO would be lost here.... and have no value to me personally.  If I am paying an extra premium per ticket for access to an interactive fantasy football lounge, and during the game, anywhere between 20-40% of people are constantly wandering around like its some sort of high end football-themed pub crawl... I'm probably going to stop going (and I believe many Bills fans would, while there is a shortage of corporate types to fill the void).

I would love a bar area similar to the one at Progressive field in Cleveland. It has a bunch of tables along a railing that faces the field so you can sit and eat while watching a game. Its open to all fans at the stadium. 

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I would love a bar area similar to the one at Progressive field in Cleveland. It has a bunch of tables along a railing that faces the field so you can sit and eat while watching a game. Its open to all fans at the stadium. 

This, so much this!

The concourses are old and outdated. If you run to pee or grab food you are missing out on a lot of action.

IF you want to see the game you need to be in your seat.

Rich/Ralph/New Era served its purpose, but on to bigger and better things. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Peevo said:

It's all about potential for revenue.

The Bills fall behind because they only charge so much, as we all know Bills tickets remain among the cheapest in the league

The "answer" gets murkier when we widdle down, a) who and how will this be paid for, b) what kind of stadium do we (meaning Buffalo taxpayers) want vs what the NFL wants, and c) location, infrastructure and mixed use capabilities. 

The league wants Buffalo to get a new stadium so they can charge more money and make more money for themselves, and thus increase Buffalo's valuation and the overall league as well. 

This is monetarily impossible with the current stadium. Its as renovated as it can be barring a complete retrofit/overall that would take years, and that possibility raises further logistical issues, namely, where does Buffalo play while under construction. 

So there remains a disconnect between local public opinion, spending money, and what the NFL fully expects Bills ownership to accomplish in the next 5-10 years. 

Buffalo will get a new stadium folks, it's just a matter of when.

This will test and strain the market's ability to support the team like never before.

I fully expect the overall gameday experience to change for what most Bills game attendees would consider for the worst.

If you want a team, how much are you willing to pay for it?

This is by no means me arguing that taxpayer funded stadia is a good thing. It's just unfortunately the price of doing business in the 21st century NFL. 

Not too worried about the interim when a new stadium goes up.  It will either be at a location away from OP so leave NEF in place for the time being or if they build in OP they will build near NEF but still leave NEF standing until the new place is ready.  Parking will be the issue with a new stadium in OP but that can be addressed with a minimum of difficulty.  

The demographic is going to change for the average game attendee skewing towards a higher average annual income.  These people are not all going to come from Erie County but from far and wide including Canada.  Unfortunately, some people will be closed out from buying tickets due to insufficient income but the NFL does not care.  

I'm in favor of a new stadium, just a straight dome with the kinds of windows and aesthetics found in the new Minnesota dome. And for many of the same reasons. Today's generation doesn't want to spend the day out in the bitter cold in a snow storm. They want to be watch the Greatest Show on Turf 2.0. In their defense, I have a little girl and bringing her to a game in November when it's about 35 to 40 degrees with the wind chill coming off the lake and overcast is not exactly a day full of fun for a girl her age. It's also hard to really enjoy the game when you're buried up to your hips in snow and nearly impossible for a child. 

So, I like the idea of a dome for all the reasons listed above, I don't really care about the tailgating stuff good or bad, and I like the idea that if Minnesota got a Super Bowl, Buffalo could get one too. That would be truly great to see! So, count me in the, "Yes, the Bills need a dome" crowd. And yes, there will be costs....but if we haven't noticed, every damn thing has gone up and while its aggravating to no end...it ain't changin'.....so, we can hold on to our nostalgia at the price of progress and keep an antiquated way of thinking, or we can be progressive and accept that a new dome will bring fresh blood in terms of business, fan experience, and football experience for the next generation.

55 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

This, so much this!

The concourses are old and outdated. If you run to pee or grab food you are missing out on a lot of action.

IF you want to see the game you need to be in your seat.

Rich/Ralph/New Era served its purpose, but on to bigger and better things. 

I totally agree.  I usually come to town for a game a season. Went to the Pats game in early Dec and couldnt find a bar that had anything other than beer. Other stadiums have full bars, margarita stands, ect. Maybe it is the liquor license, not sure. 

By the time the current lease is up, New Era will be 50 yrs old. I cant see the Bills extending the lease. It will be time for a new stadium. It doesnt have to be super fancy, it just has to be functional. Dome, larger concources, more bathrooms, more concessions, ect.  The Cardinals stadium cost about $500 million and is a great facility. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I have no problem with better food options being served more efficiently as well as craft beer options.  Also, efficient and comfortable bathrooms wouldnt be horrible.  Wouldnt mind a concourse-deck either for standing room only tickets.  Improved aesthetics, some kind of roof/protection from the wind and direct precipitation, etc.

However, a lot of the "lounges" and extra-exclusive "clubs" inside the facility IMO would be lost here.... and have no value to me personally.  If I am paying an extra premium per ticket for access to an interactive fantasy football lounge, and during the game, anywhere between 20-40% of people are constantly wandering around like its some sort of high end football-themed pub crawl... I'm probably going to stop going (and I believe many Bills fans would, while there is a shortage of corporate types to fill the void).

I think you vastly underestimate the market and what people are willing and able to spend for entertainment. Check concert ticket prices, for example. Anyway, there is a vast amount of money sitting on the sidelines at the moment because the facility and experience is subpar by today’s standards. It’s fine if you want to wax poetically about the way it used to be, but this isn’t the NFL of old. There’s a lot more money in Buffalo than there used to be. Some current ticket holders will certainly drop out with a new stadium and pricing, but plenty more will step up to fill the void. Time waits for no one, and the Bills aren’t an exception. None of thenfan banter on this board will impact the decisions involved in the Bills stadium situation one bit. The Bills are a business and will look to appeal to a more upmarket fan. 

20 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

As long as it's open air I'm good with it!

Pittsburgh should be the model.

A new open air stadium wouldn’t make much sense here. You’d still be severely limiting the market for tickets. Why bother with a new stadium if it won’t increase revenue streams very much ?  PIttsburgh averages only around 27 inches of snow per year. It’s a different climate altogether. 

16 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I don't see the problem with standing. I'll say that's the one complaint that has always annoyed me. I can be completely sober and courteous and some one wants to yell at me to sit down. I never do, if you can't stand for 3 hours and you're not in a wheel chair, don't go to the game. 

I hope you have injuries which do not require wheelchair, maybe even one preventing you from seeing and/or viewing game at all.

Last time I went a sack of dung like you too big to fit in seat was standing all game even putting stuff on my seat spilling food on it.

Was standing whole game when he was not making beer runs waving his arms around even hitting me once.

When asked for him to sit down so his kid could see he cursed the father saying he paid for the seat and if he wanted to stand he would.

Waited to he went on one of his beer runs, went to toilet but it brought it with me.

Left it on floor with some of garbage he left and when he returned he stepped in it.

He asked and nobody saw nothing. Then it was pointed out it was also back of his legs from chair he was not using.

With some cursing he left.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

By the time the current lease is up, New Era will be 50 yrs old. I cant see the Bills extending the lease. It will be time for a new stadium. It doesnt have to be super fancy, it just has to be functional. Dome, larger concources, more bathrooms, more concessions, ect.  The Cardinals stadium cost about $500 million and is a great facility. 

Went to the game in Arizona when I was working in California and while it looks impressive not all seats are.  The seat I was sold was called "obstructed view" (which usually means you cannot see scoreboard or something high) but it wasn't.  It was blocked view. There was no way for me to be able to sit and watch game.  After a quarter I got up and became a hobo sitting whenever I saw a seat unoccupied until owner got back.  For $500 million I expect every seat sold to be able to see the game.

30 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I hope you have injuries which do not require wheelchair, maybe even one preventing you from seeing and/or viewing game at all.

Last time I went a sack of dung like you too big to fit in seat was standing all game even putting stuff on my seat spilling food on it.

Was standing whole game when he was not making beer runs waving his arms around even hitting me once.

When asked for him to sit down so his kid could see he cursed the father saying he paid for the seat and if he wanted to stand he would.

Waited to he went on one of his beer runs, went to toilet but it brought it with me.

Left it on floor with some of garbage he left and when he returned he stepped in it.

He asked and nobody saw nothing. Then it was pointed out it was also back of his legs from chair he was not using.

With some cursing he left.

I need more detail on this please. 

Just now, Limeaid said:

Never heard of making an envelope with a napkin?

https://www.instructables.com/id/Envelope-Napkin-Fold/

We do it fairly often and even paper napkins of sufficient strength work.

How did you stuff the "envelope"?  Did you reach under and catch the log then wrap or fish it out? 

And how did you make it back to your seat undetected?  I'm guessing you didn't carry the "parcel" out of the bathroom in your hand.  Did you stash it in a pocket? 

Lastly, how did you make the drop without anyone nearby noticing your devious plan?