Why Do the Bills Need a New Stadium ??

T master

6 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think what we have is great for an NFL game experience,  sure they could add some luxury boxes to increase revenues .  End of the day the on the field product is the most important and if Allen turns into a franchise QB then good things will follow.

Having a new billion dollar plus stadium is not going to increase interest but a winning team with great QB will.

The interest will be there. We all want Allen to be the legit franchise QB the team needs, but even if he is you can’t drastically increase ticket prices in NEF. It’s a bare bones stadium exposed to the elements. 

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

I agree Rob, it is regionalization . However it’s more of a continuation of this regionalizing of the Bills franchise. It’s already been going on for some time ( thanks to you know who: Russ Brandon). Honestly, it’s how the team has managed to survive in WNY to this point. It’s definitely not a word that should be ugly to Bills fans. They wouldn’t have a team without it. 

See some of the earlier posts, they alluded to this. Basically there’s a big pot of money that the NFL teams share equally. Some teams such as the Dallas Cowboys and the Patriots kick a much greater sum of $$ into that pot. Lower revenue teams ( such as the Bills) don’t contribute as much, yet they share equally. The high earning teams see the Bills as a sort of welfare queen. They’d like the Bills to turn a bigger profit, and contribute more to the pot. They can’t do it without a new stadium. There’s nothing to draw a fan into a 50 yard line seat for $200 in the same cold ,spartan stadium that once charged a different fan $95. That’s the issue. 

Yes, regionalization has been going on since the SB years and probably would have happened even earlier if the product had been competitive.  While Erie County is turning a corner economically it is not at the level it was during the mid-1960's when the Bills were AFL Champs and a fair number of people are in denial about that.  It's been a long time since the Bills were a team pretty much supported by Erie County.

22 hours ago, T master said:

We've read all the articles about how the NFL wants the Bills to have a new stadium to be like Jerrah or Kronke out in LA but why ? The Bills are who we are & i like it this way !!

There is all this talk even before the Pegula's bought the team that the "NFL" & others want the Bills to have a new stadium & that if they don't get one it would be terrible & not up to NFL standards ! In all of the polls New Era Field is at the bottom of the fan experience list as far as NFL stadiums are concerned .

Well i have been to the field on numerous occasions & other than a blizzard on game day or a 18 degree temp. in Nov. my experience has for the most part been good (except the time i got my pockets picked at a N.E. game which i think was a N.E. fan) 

I read about the $18 Mill improvements to the Adpro sports facility that the Pegula's are doing which will make it among the best in the league, then you read about what new players say about the locker room improvements when they come here & it all being good reviews ! Add to it what they have done with the upgrades to the stadium to make the fan experience better over the last few years then WHY ??

I know NFL football fans are spoiled a lot like the players & feel they need all these interactive video/shopping center/ restaurant & such things that cost a Billion plus & i realize there are still things that need some upgrade in the stadium but coming from a era where every thing i got i earned being a part of a Jerry Jones spoiled ass experience i want no part of ! I've been to his stadium & was not really all that impressed because it reeks of his ego !! 

I'm proud to be a Bills fan & proud of the stadium & all that goes with it including the best tail gating any where in the NFL, what I don't understand is that if the NFL wants the Bills or any other team for that matter to build a new stadium why they don't pony up the majority of the cost instead of passing the buck off on the fans in one way or another or do what Kronke is doing pay for it out of the owners pockets they will recoup the money in time from the fans any way !!

Just saying i have never really had a bad experience (except for waiting in line to go to the rest room) at New Era Field & don't get with all the New why there needs to be a entirely new place & building maybe you all as Bills fans can give me a better idea why it needs or doesn't need to be, Thanks for your input either way good or bad !! 

GO BILLS !!! 

They need either a new Stadium or a Major complete renovation ala Lambeu or Arrowhead it really is that simple. 

Also reason other NFL owners consistently push for new stadiums Of other teams = Money. 

And also the old bare bone ammenities New Era doesnt offer the Value to the people willing to spend on higher ticket prices. 

New Stadium = Targeting a different income fan that likey stays home at this point on Sundays. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

As many posters have stated: pressure for a new stadium comes from other owners looking to boost revenue. It's not about game day experience or other such tripe, it's about money (mostly from suites).

Here's the rub: WNY is a small market and will never rake in the revenue the owners desire--new stadium or not. A palace could be built, and revenue will be flat because WNY just doesn't have the economy or population.

So then the question becomes: when will the owners pressure Pegs to move the team to a larger more lucrative market? Will Pegs cave to that pressure to move?

22 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Thats good for the winter and some acts.... but arena shows are actually becoming more uncommon.

An ampitheater would bring in all those country and nostalgia acts from Darien Lake.  They would also get more who skip Buffalo due to not having a great concert venue.  We would also get the 'multi' tours or mini-festivals that don't come to buffalo.  The one in Camden, NJ has shows nearly every day in the Summer/Fall.  With a good promoter, they can also create their own weekend long festival there.  

I wonder if you could put a bubble over it to make it into a year round facility?

10 minutes ago, boater said:

As many posters have stated: pressure for a new stadium comes from other owners looking to boost revenue. It's not about game day experience or other such tripe, it's about money (mostly from suites).

Here's the rub: WNY is a small market and will never rake in the revenue the owners desire--new stadium or not. A palace could be built, and revenue will be flat because WNY just doesn't have the economy or population.

So then the question becomes: when will the owners pressure Pegs to move the team to a larger more lucrative market? Will Pegs cave to that pressure to move?

As much as I think Pegula is hesitant to spend big on a stadium I think that he is giving WNY a chance to breath as far as what has happened with Ralph being gone a few years now.  As stated in my previous post on this thread there is quite a parochial attitude as far as those who live in Erie County versus those who live outside.  A winning product on the field will do a lot to accept the change that needs to come in terms of increasing revenue.  I don't think Erie County will progress to the point needed for the new stadium to be solely about Erie County as some desire when the heat is really on the Pegula's by the NFL.  This will probably be in the next 5-8 years with the present day being a grace period in terms of getting NYS politicians to step up with state money.  This is why there has been relatively little pondering in public by the NFL in terms of the Bills' future here.  To bring the Bills up to NFL standards Pegula is going to have to court money that is far outside of Erie County.   As far east as Utica, as far south as Meadville, PA, and well up into Ontario Province.

40 minutes ago, boater said:

That's the thing, ain't it? If WNY is too poor to buy into the NFL, at least at the ever-increasing financial level they demand, then the league will eventually put the screws to Terry and Kim.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's the thing, ain't it? If WNY is too poor to buy into the NFL, at least at the ever-increasing financial level they demand, then the league will eventually put the screws to Terry and Kim.

If people hate the idea of regionalization now then they are going to outright despise it when they realize what is needed to keep the team here when things get pushy by the NFL.  If you can't see past what some people's idea of WNY is which is Erie, Niagara, Chautaugua , and Cattaragus Counties then it really is hopeless as their is not enough big money in those counties to do what the NFL wants done.  I know that thought is painful to some but it is the honest reality.

56 minutes ago, boater said:

There is currently plenty of money available to tap into that is staying at home due to the facility. That means reasons varying from the elements , lack of amenities and coarse crowd that the low ticket prices bring into the gameday experience. So while revenue wouldn’t be flat, there obviously isn’t enough corporate $$ to ever rake in what a team in Dallas or Boston does. The Bills will find a way to increase revenue streams and that almost certainly includes a new stadium with less capacity and more premium amenities. 

32 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Actually, the simplest answer is because the League says they do. End of story. Not our call.

...not sure I see how they can force the issue legally and I doubt there was/is a clause in the "by-laws of ownership".......they could try and cite player/fan safety, but those are correctables.....I'm guessing there will be more municipality backlash as far as public funding.....alternative is more private funding and I'm not sure how much Pegula would be willing to pony up with the balance to be financed......a Lucas Oil type facility (think cost was $700+ mil) would be a year round venue providing an increased revenue stream versus eight home games at a single use facility.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

If people hate the idea of regionalization now then they are going to outright despise it when they realize what is needed to keep the team here when things get pushy by the NFL.  If you can't see past what some people's idea of WNY is which is Erie, Niagara, Chautaugua , and Cattaragus Counties then it really is hopeless as their is not enough big money in those counties to do what the NFL wants done.  I know that thought is painful to some but it is the honest reality.

It's no longer the days where you brought your own kegs to Bills games, like they did in the 60's at War Memorial Stadium.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, boater said:

Enough with this BS...

The Bills are never leaving... Never

16 minutes ago, #34fan said:

I'd put all new NFL stadium-building on hold until the league figures out it's rules.

Why build an 80,000 seat facility for something no one will watch.

Scoring could go up, which may actually increase viewership/ interest. Anyway, the target number of seats is closer to 60,000. This will create demand and an upward trajectory on ticket prices. The current venue floods the market with cheap tickets, benefitting only scalpers. Not the Bills.