ESPN 7/27

Bashing on the Bills is so in style right now. Every national talking head is doing it. And when everyone does it, the perception gets even stronger.

But they are all pretty foolish. The Bills are not a 0 win team. They have a strong defense and an elite RB. They'll get to their usual 7 to 9 wins I'll bet. Probably will miss the playoffs, but not be a bottom feeder.

But heck, I could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oh, I agree 100%.  But of course the media would expect a drop off when you lose a guy like that and replace him with 3 unknowns.  

I know now the media is evil now but I think this is completely reasonable.  I think most “realistic” Billsfans expect a drop off. Now if AJ is Brady Jr or Allen is Big Ben, expectations will change. 

But why does AJ need to be Brady Jr or Allen, Big Ben?   Like someone mentioned above, give us Josh McCown against Jax and we are winning that playoff game.  

Yea, no interceptions are cool and all, but scoring 10-13 points per game on offense and incessantly going 3 and out wasn’t exactly helping us either.  

I tuned in briefly to Cleveland sports radio yesterday and the first caller i heard called in to complain that the Cleveland media wasn’t giving Tyrod enough credit as a franchise QB because he’s black...  it was literally right after the host said he was “serviceable” but probably wouldn’t unseat Mayfield long term. Enjoy, Cleveland! 

200w.gif

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

but the net result would be the same: the 31st ranked passing offense.

He said that he highly doubts we regress at that position.  I fully expect us to regress at the QB position this season.  I would think the majority of the football universe would agree.  Mccarron, meh.  Peterman, meh.  Allen, meh this season.  I hope I’m wrong, but I think it’s inevitbale 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He said that he highly doubts we regress at that position.  I fully expect us to regress at the QB position this season.  I would think the majority of the football universe would agree.  Mccarron, meh.  Peterman, meh.  Allen, meh this season.  I hope I’m wrong, but I think it’s inevitbale 

Now that the playoff drought monkey is off the back, I think regression isn't necessarily a bad thing. Edit: Especially if Allen is on the bench.

Edited by joesixpack

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I heard the three predict the Bills as being the worst in the AFC East, the the lady, Mines? said something to the effect Bills might not win a game and was talking about Allen sailing some easy passes, cleary see isnt a fan.   Also said Allen of all the new QBs has the worst situation to try and succeed with bad OL, WRs, and TE.

Also said the Pats had the easiest schedule last year and probability have the easiest schedule again this year. 

Mina Kimes? Big surprise there. She's the biggest Tyrod groupie in the national media. 

49 minutes ago, sistersarah said:

You folks said the things I was thinking of. I was always rooting for Tyrod but there comes a time to move on. You would think that the playoff game would have proven that to the "experts".

Thanks for your input!

Thats right. The “playoff” game was time to move on. Enjoy no more playoffs.  

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

We had the 31st ranked passing attack. I highly doubt we're going to "regress" at that position.

We might regress as a total offense. Lets say we cant pass the ball because our line cant block......Tyrod would at least be able to use his legs.

The safety net of his legs were able to keep the chains moving. Now obviously if we can get decent passing the sticks will move naturally with the QBs arm. 

We will get a better idea this year just how important Tyrods legs were to the offense. 

There is good  reason  for Tyrod Taylor to be so controversial.

People can quickly look up his stats at Buffalo and look up with nearly 3 to 1 TD to int ratio, his running stats and  QB rating of 92 and the wonder, WTH, how does Buffalo let him go?  Many of the same people dont bother to mention he averaged 187 yards/game last year.. .. he did manage to edge out Mitch Trubisky and Brendt Hundley.   If they actually watched some games they would see all the missed opportunities and all the games were the passing was nearly non-existent.

I would imagine our ints will double this year, at least it will be more exciting to watch, good or bad.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

The national media generally loves the narrative that Tyrod is a good starting QB hampered by a poor Bills team, who otherwise would have tremendous success.  (in fact some people around here still support that narrative) That narrative is about to come crashing down.  Browns fans will be yelling to start Mayfield before week 8. he is looking good in shorts though I am sure.

10 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Thats right. The “playoff” game was time to move on. Enjoy no more playoffs.  

Yes, it was the time to move on.  A blind man could have seen how totally ineffective he was.  Stop his runs, make him pass, win the game is the totally effective and often repeated anti-Tyrod game plan.  He was totally outplayed by Blake Bortles in that game.  Blake Bortles. Time to try and be better, even if it is a temporary step back, which I am not yet convinced it is.

• Like (+1) 1

Most of the media probably  haven't watched full multiple games of Tyrod just his highlights and his stat line that he doesn't turn the ball over. We'll see if he changes his ways in Cleveland but he is way overrated by the national media. 

1 hour ago, Shotgunner said:

I think it's highly likely whoever plays QB for us (or the combination) will throw for more yards, plausably for more TD's as well..

The thought of us regressing comes from the likely influx of a different number: INT's. 

Hopefully somebody lights it up and that is not a problem, but the added yards, TOP, and TD's need to be enough to effectively counterbalance the probable INT swell.

This will happen--the increase in INTs. But I'd prefer more first downs in 3rd and 7, and more points on O, and a few more times when the D has to come up with a big play after a turnover. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the national media are looking at our overall offensive production when they predict "regression"
"

Which again, was toward the bottom of the league, so, net result probably not much difference.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We could have the 31st passing attack and 3x as many interceptions.  It could most definitely happen

I think we should have just kept Tyrod and lived with the 31st passing attacking in the NFL because I am afraid we might throw more INT"S, please give me a break.

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

There is good  reason  for Tyrod Taylor to be so controversial.

People can quickly look up his stats at Buffalo and look up with nearly 3 to 1 TD to int ratio, his running stats and  QB rating of 92 and the wonder, WTH, how does Buffalo let him go?  Many of the same people dont bother to mention he averaged 187 yards/game last year.. .. he did manage to edge out Mitch Trubisky and Brendt Hundley.   If they actually watched some games they would see all the missed opportunities and all the games were the passing was nearly non-existent.

I would imagine our ints will double this year, at least it will be more exciting to watch, good or bad.

Exhibit A of why stats matter, but only if they're the right stats.

I played around a lot this off-season with looking at QB success as as a function of draft position, which begs the obvious question "how does one define QB success?"

Wins aren't it - high-drafted QB are often drafted onto bad teams and contrary to the "tank for a #1 pick" crowd, just adding a talented rookie to a bad team doesn't automagically make that team winners.  I also prefer to look at objective, simple to calculate stats vs. total QBR or DVOA or other highly processed stats which often, under the hood, include someone's subjective judgements and don't seem to produce QB ratings in line with actual QB performance.

Relatively raw stats which seem to correlate to QB performance where most football-knowledgeable people would agree "that guy is a good QB" include TD/INT ratio, completion percentage, and YPA.  High passing yards or YPG don't necessarily correlate, especially if they go along with high turnovers.

BUT....

I noticed that there seems to be a floor, where below that number, one starts to pull in a bunch of QB who would not garner agreement "that guy is a good QB".  I'm not sure where that floor is, but I believe it's around 200-220 YPG.  Below that, it seems the good TD/INT ratio and completion percentage are coming at the cost of sacrificing sufficient passing productivity.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

That she is, she is also hot, i think she does a great on Highly Questionable, an incredibly stupid show that i enjoy the hell out of.

Agreed. I think she is really good.  

And some fans are too sensitive. The Bills, on paper, don’t lol very good.  But if they are, the Bills will get so much love.  In fact, I’d argue they are the less hated team in the nfl.

• Like (+1) 2