Does anyone here still watch The Simpsons?

Another Fan

I watched it all the time growing up, even had a Bart Simpson shirt.  I lost interest a long time ago, but I think they still make new episodes.  I don’t know anyone that still follows it

For nostalgic purposes

Edited by Another Fan

Half of my lexicon used daily is from seasons 2-8 (Conan O'Brien years). 

"What has four legs, and ticks?"

"A walking clock?"

"A walking clock!"

"I'd venture to guess there's some sort of walking clock in that box......."

"BART! Is it a walking clock?!?!"

"What? No. It's my dog."

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

I watched it all the time growing up, even had a Bart Simpson shirt.  I lost interest a long time ago, but I think they still make new episodes.  I don’t know anyone that still follows it

For nostalgic purposes

I just watch the reruns from the 1990's.  I just could not watch after the Homer meets Marge storyline got changed and over use of characters such as Mo who are best as background pieces.  But changing characters in terms of attitude such as Flanders going to Las Vegas was the beginning of the end for me.  A good episode in terms of poking fun at LV but Flanders was the wrong character to do it with.  Might better have done it with Chief Wiggum so the drunken Vegas wedding bit would have worked just the same.  Grandpa Simpson in WWI and WWII in both the army and navy.  I just don't like inconsistencies in characters.  Once the background is laid out then that is it for me.  

I've always liked how it seemed to play on two levels, humour that adults could 'get', while at the same time appealing to a younger audience.  Granted, I haven't seen a new episode in years, so things may have changed.

'Family Guy', however, is something I wouldn't dare let a preteen near.  Funny how all the uproar 'The Simpsons' caused has rarely been heard about 'Family Guy's' Bizarro world.

19 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I've always liked how it seemed to play on two levels, humour that adults could 'get', while at the same time appealing to a younger audience.  Granted, I haven't seen a new episode in years, so things may have changed.

'Family Guy', however, is something I wouldn't dare let a preteen near.  Funny how all the uproar 'The Simpsons' caused has rarely been heard about 'Family Guy's' Bizarro world.

Used to love Simpsons in the day.  Haven't seen it in years.

I also love "Family Guy" and "King of the Hill" is also quite good.  These 3 shows are similar IMO.  If you like 1 of them, you'll like all of them.

55 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I thought it fell off in the early 2000s when the themes shifted from family relations to political points. It wasn't as overt as a lot of other entertainment of the time, but it was enough to make the show less relatable. 

Probably more political during the late 1990's/early 2000's versus early but most of that time it did not play favorites.  Since the early 2000's it pretty much has been pro-Democrat.

I have watched some of the new episodes, but not many. I will record episodes of Family Guy and Bob's Burgers but only watch the Simpsons sunday night if I have nothing else going on and theres nothing else to watch. I also liked King of the Hill. I hate that Google Play wont let you buy and of the early seasons from them. I have the last 3-4 but anything before that they have the episodes but cant buy and watch them. Similar to early Mythbusters.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Used to love Simpsons in the day.  Haven't seen it in years.

I also love "Family Guy" and "King of the Hill" is also quite good.  These 3 shows are similar IMO.  If you like 1 of them, you'll like all of them.

I love The Simpsons and King of the Hill, but not Family Guy. It has its moments, but where the other two skirt the boundary between tasteful and tasteless when it makes sense in the plot, Family Guy goes for complete tastelessness just for the hell of it.

Someone mentioned Bob's Burgers. I wasn't crazy about it at first, but it's grown on me.

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

For nostalgic purposes

I still watch the Simpsons.  Just not anything after season 10.

Funny you bring up The Simpsons today...I grew up a huge Simpsons fan, used to watch all the classics religiously but the quality definitely dropped off as early as Season 10.  I still watched past that but they were never truly the same and then I just eventually got older and had other stuff going on in life.  But channel FXX airs reruns all the time and I was home watching a few episodes last night and then just this morning writer Mike Reiss was on Shred and Ragan(local talk radio show here in WNY) doing an interview about his new book about what goes into making a Simpsons episode and they obviously talked about the classics such as Flaming Moe's, Mr. Plow, and Whacking Day.  It was an enjoyable listen here is the link http://www.wedg.com/2018/07/23/shredd-ragan-podcast-monday-7-23-18/...he also mentioned at the end how the newest episodes are starting to receive positive feedback from fans again and to be honest the last couple episodes I have seen from within the last year or so were much better than what they had been for years so maybe the Simpsons will make a comeback at some point.  Good thread OP 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...