BuffaloBaumer

Offensive Line - Any Chance it Holds Up?

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Other than Dawkins at LT, not sure who comprises the other four positions.  Will be interesting to see how Castillo works with Daboll to get the line squared away.  Castillo is supposed to be good...we'll see.

Castillo was and is the OL coach / Run Game Coordinator. Other than friends with McD (and he would have made a better offense assistant rather than coach) I cannot see good.

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Other than Dawkins at LT, not sure who comprises the other four positions.  Will be interesting to see how Castillo works with Daboll to get the line squared away.  Castillo is supposed to be good...we'll see.

Is he though?

10 minutes ago, Julio Hopkins said:

Is he though?

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He's really good at playing possum for 17 weeks.

I'm wondering the same thing, and am skeptical, like you guys.  I think Eric Wood or Richie Incognito made a statement a little while back about Juan Castillo.  The veteran lineman said (paraphrasing) that Castillo is very good, but he wants things and techniques done his way.  I interpreted that as he is good with younger linemen, but veteran linemen tend not to do as well with him.  I would also have to believe that as an OLine coordinator, Castillo is blocking scheme agnostic, and that the zone scheme was all Dennison (which was run in Denver for years.)

Dawkins at LT you can have confidence in, I honestly have confidence in Groy at Center and I think it is possible Miller has a rebound year at RG. But LG and RT are still a mess. Mills or Newhouse at RT isn't confidence inspiring, both are good backups but neither is a guy you want starting. LG is the weakest point as you have a 5th round rookie and a mediocre guard in Vlad. 

At best you can squint your eyes and see 3 spots on the o-line where the team has above average play at and that's with a player having a rebound season and a good backup playing well as a starter. On top of that isn't accounting for injury. I wouldn't put a project rookie like Allen behind this O-line and with a suspect receiving core. See what AJ could do with this team and let Allen chill.  

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I believe coaching trumps talent. 

I believe the exact opposite.

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

DSC03624.jpg

i saw the Swiss cheese upstream and it made me think of this..

image.thumb.png.edbb55ffd445a1e381569d30fb02c93f.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I believe coaching trumps talent.   I think that good schemes and good coaching can make the relative no-name offensive line the Bills have effective.  Whether they have that coaching is an open question.

However, even if they're well coached, they will struggle when they play against the the best front sevens in the league.   For example, I'm going to the game in Houston.   That may get ugly real quick. 

Thanks, 66. This is the 1st post which addresses who these cast offs, bench warmers and unknowns will actually face week to week. This isn’t Buff State. 

They’ll face Baltimore, San Diego, Minnesota, GB, Tennessee & Houston to start the season with 4 of these games in loud, hostile environments. 

Personally, I can’t see any way Dabol/Castillo can create game specific, effective blocking schemes as they’re alleged to be capable of, for each of these experienced, strong defenses, utilizing our ragtag wannabes. But I could be wrong..

3 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Bring Richie back into the fold.

Would love to reach some type of deal and get Richie back.

Just make sure he stays on his medication.

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

My magic 8 ball is saying “outlook not so good”..

Hope they find another piece before the season starts..

That reminds me of this video.  Your line is at the 1:00 mark.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

Look at our secondary last year, seen by pundits as the worst in football. We will be fine because our coaching is strong now. 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/09/buffalo_bills_secondary_among_nfls_worst_defensive_positional_units_says_espn.html

These talking heads have no idea about talent evaluation.

If Bodine and Newhouse end up being as good as Hyde and Poyer I will swim from Manly to Circular Quay..

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I believe coaching trumps talent.   I think that good schemes and good coaching can make the relative no-name offensive line the Bills have effective.  Whether they have that coaching is an open question.

However, even if they're well coached, they will struggle when they play against the the best front sevens in the league.   For example, I'm going to the game in Houston.   That may get ugly real quick. 

I think on the o-line this is pretty much right. I don't think we have any terrible players there but we don't have a single "established" NFL performer.  Dawkins had a good rookie year, Bodine has been a starter but a below average one in Cincy, Mills has been a starter but a below average one here and then Miller and Ducasse whose careers have been inconsistent.  Then Groy who has been a good short term stand in and Teller who is a rookie. There is no "oh my god he is terrible there" but equally a lot of question marks.  

Definite question marks but it's the NFL.  Young guys are expected to step up.

Groy looked good when he subbed in for Wood.  Ducasse actually was pretty good the latter part of last season.  Get a Miller or someone to take Richie's spot and then see.

Some have indicated they play some tough front 7s.  Those teams wreak havoc on all O lines.

13 hours ago, ddaryl said:

not concerned till I see a reason to be concerned.. Will know by the end of preseason until then nobody cold possibly answer this question

I basically agree.  I mean, there will certainly be signs of either competence or disaster during TC but you really need live game action to assess the situation.

Also -- suggesting the Bills' OL was a "strength" last season is dubious at best.  They may actually be better this year -- remember, there's a new scheme that may be better suited to their (lack of) talent.  ;) 

So far in mini camp they have Miller at LG , Groy at C , Vlad at RG , and Mills at  RT , of course Dion at LT. 

I hope Miller can hold down LG till Teller is ready at LG or RG

11 minutes ago, ALF said:

So far in mini camp they have Miller at LG , Groy at C , Vlad at RG , and Mills at  RT , of course Dion at LT. 

I hope Miller can hold down LG till Teller is ready at LG or RG

I thought Ducasse had been LG and Miller RG?

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I thought Ducasse had been LG and Miller RG?

I might be wrong , I thought I heard that from the recent Murph show. They want the least disruption as possible from last year .

OL play is so much about the group and less about individuals. If they know who they are blocking and are being put in situations to make easy blocks they typically can get the job done as a unit. Knowing who to block IMO comes down to the QB. There is so much more involved in a sack or QB pressure than just getting physically beat.

6 minutes ago, ALF said:

I might be wrong , I thought I heard that from the recent Murph show. They want the least disruption as possible from last year .

Starting interior has been Ducasse - Groy/Bodine - Miller

Honestly its all about replacing Incognito. Dawkins should be fine. Miller has had a great offseason. Mills has been the starter. Groy has been groomed for a starting job.

Ducasse wasn't terrible last year, but he is no Incognito, especially in the run game.

Groy is a FA after this year, played well when given the opportunity and has a full off-season to prepare as a regular starter.  I believe Miller will rebound this year with a different scheme.  Mills is Mills.  Maybe he can improve this year.  Dawkins hopefully can improve off an impressive rookie season.  Replacing Incognito will be tough as he brought some nastiness to the group and was pretty good pulling.  I think this line can be mediocre at least, it will just take time for them to jell as a unit.  Screen passes, Play action, and receivers getting separation would really be help this unit be respectable.  Lets hope coaching and scheme can improve a general lack of talent.