What does the phrase "The Good Old Days" mean to you?

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Pre-2000. Simple there were no actual Patriots fans then 

That and it was the pre-technology boom.  Don't get me wrong technology can be great but there was something special about the simpler times that I miss 

So lots of good replies and a lot of variety which is what I was looking for.

For me I have two defined "Good Old Days" eras...1) Childhood years filled with Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, backyard football, street hockey, watching Bills games with family, the relaxed atmosphere of elementary school and just hanging out with friends all the time.  2) Later high school through college years- trying to get laid, high school house parties, fake id's, going out drinking 3-5 nights a week, and once again just hanging out with friends all the time.  Two eras that I always look back on fondly and wish I could re-live knowing there's no going back now :(

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

That and it was the pre-technology boom.  Don't get me wrong technology can be great but there was something special about the simpler times that I miss 

Agreed.  Life seemed a bit simpler back in the 90s.  But it’s a necessary evil to keep up on technology 

• Like (+1) 1

Teenage sex back in the 70’s in WNY was, I’m guessing, better than most parts of the country. Half the year was bowling, crowded skating and any other indoor activity you could think of. There! I said it! 

Cable was limited....what else were we supposed to do? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Augie said:

Teenage sex back in the 70’s in WNY was, I’m guessing, better than most parts of the country. Half the year was bowling, crowded skating and any other indoor activity you could think of. There! I said it! 

My dad built a dry bar in the basement of our family home in '77 or so.It was stocked and stacked....he never once challenged or asked me about missing beers ..but I knew,he knew.I lost my virginity on the couch in the sitting room area..again,he knew...but he never told my mother (very strict catholic) because he knew I was leaving the aged childhood stage of life in exchange of becoming a young man. My pop was a cool dude,old school navy guy.He knew when to be a hard ass and he knew when to let things slide. You don't see much of that style of parenting happening these days...

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Teenage sex back in the 70’s...

Yeah, those were the days. Teenage sex nowadays just comes with far too many felony charges... wait... that’s not what you... uh... never mind. 

6 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I think I met @Gugny in 2014 or so. My life was a lot simpler before that day. I had a positive outlook on life, smelled flowers, didn't have a jaded world view. All that changed when he took out his notepad and introduced himself  saying "I'm Gugny...I'll be your waiter today".

Huh. It’s been so long that I’ve eaten at a fast food joint that I didn’t even realize Burger King went to a more traditional wait staff. 

• Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, row_33 said:

Wake up New Years Day with a full slate of good bowl games to watch, that was totally destroyed 

Are you saying the idea of watching 7-5 Middle Tennessee Tech play 6-6 Northeastern Iowa State  play each other in the TurboTax bowl doesn't send goosebumps of excitement down your spine?

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

19 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

So obviously this is a very subjective question which is what will make it fun.  Everybody at one point or another has used the phrase "The Good Old Days" but I think it means a little something different to every individual. So how would you describe the good old days as it relates to your life personally? 

This thread may or may not have been inspired by the fact I watched the movie The Sandlot this morning 

The "good old days" never really existed.

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Are you saying the idea of watching 7-5 Middle Tennessee Tech play 6-6 Northeastern Iowa State  play each other in the TurboTax bowl doesn't send goosebumps of excitement down your spine?

not even in a state requiring hair of the dog x 1,000,000

20 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I don't think I ever used the phrase "The Good Old Days," except ironically.

Me either.  Unless I'm referring to pre-Trump.  So, I guess I say it often.

I hope to live through at least one more dot com era where you could throw a dart blindfolded at ticker symbols, hit one, invest in it and make money.  Some of them you could make inexplicable money.  Market bubbles are a truly wonderful thing in hindsight.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I hope to live through at least one more dot com era where you could throw a dart blindfolded at ticker symbols, hit one, invest in it and make money.  Some of them you could make inexplicable money.  Market bubbles are a truly wonderful thing in hindsight.

Lt. Dan invested all of our money in some sort of fruit company or something. Then he told me we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, Good. Ya, know. One less thing.

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Sometimes even with a partner!?

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, The Poojer said:

To me, it means today...and tomorrow it will mean the current today...the time's they are a changin' and I don't want to impede the progress

That is kind of how I look at it,  Poojer. 

As with anyone, there have been peaks and valleys, but if I worry about the future or long for yesterday, I lose today.

Anyhow, the sixties were fun for me: Little league baseball,  AFL football on Best Street, a small suburban home in Hamburg, no pot to piss in, but did not feel poor, lots of kids in the neighborhood, the British Invasion, teenage summers at Silver Lake with my grandparents, teenage girls and drive-ins. A lot like the movie "Stand By Me", with a touch of "the Outsiders" tossed in!

That is just one slice of the great times I have had over the years. Today I am one of the luckiest people I know. 

(sorry for ignoring grammar in this post - it was more of a brain dump than a structured paragraph)

Edited by rockpile
  • Like (+1) 2