How do you tell an outsider the Bills are getting better?

2 hours ago, Augie said:

.....sneak up on them....wait for them to tell YOU! 

My philosophy as well.  After 17 years of no playoffs, say nothing and wait for them to say--"Hey, the Bills look like they are getting better".  Then I make some Bills deprecating remark ("we still don't have a legit QB") and get a wry smile....

The only thing that will tell others that the Bills are better is their W-L record at the end of the season.  It is that simple.  IMO the Bills snuck into the playoffs last year on the backs of the defense.  The D has to get better and the QB question has to be answered before “outsiders” will view the Bills as being anything other than mediocre at best.

If you feel comfortable talking about the Bills getting better, you haven't been a Bills fan long enough.

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s a pretty simple conversation IMO. They potentially drafted their franchise QB, have a talented young defense, good coaching, 9 drafts picks and almost $100m in cap space in 2019. The direction of the team is crystal clear assuming that Allen can play.

I think everyone sees the vision.  Some just don't believe it will come true.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I am definitely more of a football fan then hockey, and I was talking to a friend of mine about the Sabres and because I root for them but don't know a ton about them, I asked him why was signing Eichel such a great move if they were the worst team in hockey last season.  He got somewhat defensive and started telling me all the moves the Sabres were making to be a great franchise in the future.  He made me more optimistic, especially with this defensemen they are supposed to draft whose name I won't try to spell.

So it got me thinking about the Bills, who outsiders will say lucked into the playoffs last year and most aren't high on this year.  What do you tell an outsider about the Bills to make them "Billieve" we are heading in the right direction? I'm sure we all get defensive about our Bills, how do you get others to "trust the process" as well???  

I look forward to reading what you guys say

It's not worth wasting any bandwidth trying to convince people that your predictions about things that, in the long run, don't really matter and aren't that important, are correct.

Tell them your thoughts, and if they disagree and you're right you get to enjoy a round of "I told you so" over beer.  If you're wrong, you can use those same beers to wash down your plate of crow.

Either way, don't emotionally involve yourself, because again, none of it matters.

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

If you feel comfortable talking about the Bills getting better, you haven't been a Bills fan long enough.

Or you have been for too long.  Ain't it the truth.

True story.  Rex just got hired.  I'm at this parent party for my kid's school.  Dad of my kid's friend starts talking to me about all the great things Rex is going to do with the Bills.  Two things are unusual about this: 1) We're thousands of miles away from Buffalo 2) this guy is a retired NFL great - I mean bust and gold jacket great.  So naturally I listened with interest and was pretty happy to hear all the things he had to say.

Haven't talked to the guy since.  Sees me at a game or party, glides in another direction. 

Kids are still friends though.

28 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I usually don't have to do any thing. Most of the people I talk I to that are football fans but not Bills fans tell ME the Bills are an up And coming team.

You probably don’t know any writers at Sports Illustrated then...

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or you have been for too long.  Ain't it the truth.

True story.  Rex just got hired.  I'm at this parent party for my kid's school.  Dad of my kid's friend starts talking to me about all the great things Rex is going to do with the Bills.  Two things are unusual about this: 1) We're thousands of miles away from Buffalo 2) this guy is a retired NFL great - I mean bust and gold jacket great.  So naturally I listened with interest and was pretty happy to hear all the things he had to say.

Haven't talked to the guy since.  Sees me at a game or party, glides in another direction. 

Kids are still friends though.

I still bat things back and forth about Rex.  I didn't particularly like the hire at the start.

I wonder how much better things would've been if he took the job a little more seriously.  I think he got up for the Pats and got up for the Jets and he coasted a little.  And I do think the personnel wasn't a great fit.  And I think his style of defense was a little antiquated.  And I think the defensive lockerroom mutinied twice.  And I think he acted like he still had "his boys" who would run through a brick wall for him, but in reality he had a bunch of guys who just were on a great unit without him and trashed him the year before.  Rex's bluster doesn't work when you haven't proven anything to a new locker room.  He didn't have David Harris or whoever in his corner who remembered the run a few years back and loved him.

It was really the perfect storm of awfulness.  No one predicted he'd be that bad.

9 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

IMO, you don't.

You believe what you believe, watch things play out over another year or so, and see what happens.

It's not the most satisfying approach in the moment, but it is the prudent one.

....PERFECT bud...why bother?...."under the radar" works just fine.......

Don't forget that part 2 of the rebuild happens next offseason when we cash in on FA with a boatload of cash for a new speedy WR with good ball skills, LB help, CB, OL help, etc. We still have all our picks as well.