NYG GM Gettleman diagnosed with Lymphoma

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sad, sad news. Best of luck in dealing with this. My father-in-law battled lymphoma for 13 years and ended up dying of something else, but there are a lot of variables. 

It can really take its toll on a person and they can end up dying from things like pneumonia, etc. after battling the disease for a long time. GM of an nfl team is an incredibly stressful job so I hope he has a good support staff in the FO as well as at home.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It can really take its toll on a person and they can end up dying from things like pneumonia, etc. after battling the disease for a long time. GM of an nfl team is an incredibly stressful job so I hope he has a good support staff in the FO as well as at home.

Pneumonia is exactly what eventually got him, and it was certainly related. Chemo for years, somehow he became diabetic, passed out in the bathroom falling and breaking his hip. Then flat on his back in a hospital bed he got the pneumonia. But it was 13 years and he was MUCH older, and the medicine has improved, so....I was trying to be optimistic. 

My dad went through this last summer.  He had 13 sessions or radiation and they were able to kill it.  He does have a pretty good probability of it returning....I think that's lymphoma and people over 60 though.  

My dad's energy level has taken a big hit.  He has to take break when he's cutting grass (one example) and usually now falls asleep around 8:30 pm.

He has tenderness on his lymph node on his neck...that's where they zapped it.  He has nerve damage in his left foot.  Most of the time he's fine but every now and then, his foot will hurt so bad he can't walk.  He also has lost his ability to taste food at it's fullest.  He can taste it but it's just not much there.

Best of luck Mr. Gettleman....it'll be a tough road but you'll be able to get through it.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My dad went through this last summer.  He had 13 sessions or radiation and they were able to kill it.  He does have a pretty good probability of it returning....I think that's lymphoma and people over 60 though.  

My dad's energy level has taken a big hit.  He has to take break when he's cutting grass (one example) and usually now falls asleep around 8:30 pm.

He has tenderness on his lymph node on his neck...that's where they zapped it.  He has nerve damage in his left foot.  Most of the time he's fine but every now and then, his foot will hurt so bad he can't walk.  He also has lost his ability to taste food at it's fullest.  He can taste it but it's just not much there.

Best of luck Mr. Gettleman....it'll be a tough road but you'll be able to get through it.

Royal, it's amazing that you mention your father losing his taste, that has also happened to me.   I was diagnosed 9 years ago with a lymphoma called CLL and at first we were ablt to just watch and wait but then 3.5 years ago I was lucky enough to get on a drug called Ibrutinib and I'm still here today and have not needed chemo however the drug took a good portion of my tast away and actually enhanced the acidic taste.  I haven't been able to drik coffee since I started on the drug.  Plus other foods I have to put Franks Red Hot on it to get some taste.

I'm not complaining I'm alive today and doing well just a few inconviences that are easy to dael with.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, SinatraSinger said:

Royal, it's amazing that you mention your father losing his taste, that has also happened to me.   I was diagnosed 9 years ago with a lymphoma called CLL and at first we were ablt to just watch and wait but then 3.5 years ago I was lucky enough to get on a drug called Ibrutinib and I'm still here today and have not needed chemo however the drug took a good portion of my tast away and actually enhanced the acidic taste.  I haven't been able to drik coffee since I started on the drug.  Plus other foods I have to put Franks Red Hot on it to get some taste.

I'm not complaining I'm alive today and doing well just a few inconviences that are easy to dael with.

I'm glad you beat it....nasty disease.

For the first 2 years, my dad has to go back to the doctor every 6 months for monitoring.  After that, it's once a year.  

They caught his very early, like in its infancy so he got lucky.  He just remembers having a stiff neck one morning and he felt the lump.

They told him that even if the radiation didn't work at first, they would just monitor it frequently....they could just I guess "control it".  

He went to the Cancer Treatment Center of America in Atlanta.  Had a team of 6 doctors and one of them had a mother that had Lymphoma.  She has had it for 20 years with zero treatment and she's been doing fine.  Your diet apparently can keep this disease at bay.  My dad has given up all alcohol and eats extremely healthy now.  His Dietitian really helped my dad and he's committed to her plan.  

• Like (+1) 1