Ranking Drought GMs

41 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:
  • Tom Donahoe
  • Marv Levy
  • Russ Brandon
  • Buddy Nix
  • Doug Whaley

Rank 'Em. Strictly by their job as GM. Forget your feelings about Marv as a coach, or Russ' marketing skills or any of his alleged misconduct.

Donahoe

Whaley

Brandon

Nix

Levy

I don’t feel comfortable doing this because 2 of those guys weren’t doing GM duties. The real list is:

Donahoe

Modrak

Guy

Nix

Whaley

I’d go:

Whaley

Nix

Donahoe

Modrak

Guy

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just now, Gugny said:

Whaley

Donahoe

Nix

Brandon

Levy

I could go with that too...I think Donahoe and Whaley get blasted a little too much by Bills fans.  I only rank Donahoe a little over Whaley, because he didn't take as many gambles...but both guys were active, and aggressive. I really think TD had the Bills closer to being a legit playoff contender...he whiffed on Losman....not the first/only GM to not be able to find a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buftex said:

I could go with that too...I think Donahoe and Whaley get blasted a little too much by Bills fans.  I only rank Donahoe a little over Whaley, because he didn't take as many gambles...but both guys were active, and aggressive. I really think TD had the Bills closer to being a legit playoff contender...he whiffed on Losman....not the first/only GM to not be able to find a QB.

The biggest (legitimate) knock on Whaley was his inability to find a QB and - even more so, in my opinion - hanging onto the EJ hope for too long.  But you are correct, finding a QB in the NFL is the hardest task to complete.  By far.  And none of these GMs was able to do it.

Donahoe took a big gamble on McGahee and his destroyed knee.  I still think it was a good pick.

But, as @DrDawkinstein said above, Whaley gets the nod from me because DESPITE never being able to hire his own head coach, he had the team (I believe) a QB away from being a very good/great team.

Rex Ryan being stuffed down any GM's throat would be a career killer for said GM.

I think Whaley was a "good," GM.  Donahoe was a little less good.  All the others were an embarrassment; especially Marv Levy.

• Like (+1) 2