Ranking Drought Coaches

7 hours ago, mileena said:

Actually, bad topic. Why does everyone here focus on the negative, even thought the drought is over?? Posts about best coaches during the drought years, posts about the all-drought team, etc.

People, you need to buy into the culture and mindset that McD has set, not dwell on the negative. Stop it. Just like on the other Bills message board, Billievers, people kept on bringing up abuses by the BBMB former moderators, who started posting there. The moderator of that board put that to an end, and said stop focussing on the past. It's a fresh start.

Its not negative.  History happpened/ own it and learn from it and it should only help appreciate more where thinks look to be heading now. 

This is at least a thought exercise over another doom and gloom thread over some internet jockeys ‘scouting report’ of Josh Allen, pointing out his completion percentage 

Funny but I always felt the Gailey was about to fall asleep.

I swore that Ralph hired one extra guy just to nudge him every now and then just to make sure he wouldn't.

:lol:

7 hours ago, Idandria said:

I can't believe Chan is getting so much love. I guess his memory has aged well? He was perpetually 6-10, and if I recall, generally hated around here when he was the coach. 

However, the offence was fun to watch sometimes. That sceeen pass play to CJ Spiller was awesome. Fitz airing it out.. he had moments too.

Don't miss those days tho, not by a mile. 

I don't remember Chan being hated actually.  I remember people hating the hire and hating on management but I don't remember too much of that being directed at Chan. I do think he gets some rose tinted treatment though by virtue of being a nice guy and a decent guy... and his offense at least being fun and interesting.  He came after Jauron boring us to 7-9 for 4 years in a row... but the reality is Chan went 3-13, 6-10, 6-10. Nice guy, easy to root for, team of likeable plucky underdogs.... but ultimately not good enough.  To me both Marrone and Mularkey were better coaches... even though they were both arses who walked out on the team.  

The way I remember it, our predicament of being forced to take EJ in 2013 was a direct result of Gailey's conviction that Fitzmagic was all the QB he needed, and that no other competent QBs should be on the roster who might mess with Fitzmagic's confidence.  This was preceded by the determination that Trent Edwards was our unquestioned starter, which lasted for 2 games until he was deemed not worthy of a roster spot.  Aaron Williams over Dalton/Kaepernick and TJ Graham over Russell Wilson were caused by Gailey's misplaced confidence in Fitz.  It's true that he didn't have a good QB, but it was mostly of his own doing.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Its not negative.  History happpened/ own it and learn from it and it should only help appreciate more where thinks look to be heading now. 

This is at least a thought exercise over another doom and gloom thread over some internet jockeys ‘scouting report’ of Josh Allen, pointing out his completion percentage 

Until I can sit at the poker table with frontrunning friends and once again boast about the Bills.....

11 hours ago, Idandria said:

I can't believe Chan is getting so much love. I guess his memory has aged well? He was perpetually 6-10, and if I recall, generally hated around here when he was the coach. 

However, the offence was fun to watch sometimes. That sceeen pass play to CJ Spiller was awesome. Fitz airing it out.. he had moments too.

Don't miss those days tho, not by a mile. 

Chan made a pretty good offense from a 7th Round QB, an undrafted RB and a 7th Round WR work. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

The way I remember it, our predicament of being forced to take EJ in 2013 was a direct result of Gailey's conviction that Fitzmagic was all the QB he needed, and that no other competent QBs should be on the roster who might mess with Fitzmagic's confidence.  This was preceded by the determination that Trent Edwards was our unquestioned starter, which lasted for 2 games until he was deemed not worthy of a roster spot.  Aaron Williams over Dalton/Kaepernick and TJ Graham over Russell Wilson were caused by Gailey's misplaced confidence in Fitz.  It's true that he didn't have a good QB, but it was mostly of his own doing.

I actually think the year Ponder came out we intended on taking him in the 2nd Round yet the Vikings beat us to it by taking him in the first. 

Edited by The Jokeman

Marrone - Smart enough to quit

Mularkey - Smart enough to quit

Jauron - Better than the rest says it all

Gailey - was terrible at picking DC's

Williams - Terrible but better than Rex

Ryan - Destroyed a #4 ranked defense, no excuse for that

17 hours ago, mileena said:

No. The list onlty inlcdes coaches who never made the playoffs with the Bills during their drought.

Wade never made the playoffs with the Bills during the drought...

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Marrone - Smart enough to quit

Mularkey - Smart enough to quit

Jauron - Better than the rest says it all

Gailey - was terrible at picking DC's

Williams - Terrible but better than Rex

Ryan - Destroyed a #4 ranked defense, no excuse for that

...this fraud and the word "coaches" in the SAME sentence is an oxymoron....yet OBD took the bait thanks to Brandon...SMH......

11 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Do we know if Brandon liked feet?

...um....well....er...this could be a VERY slippery slope and I can't afford any more warning points.....but by some news accounts, his "Likes List" may be rather long....just sayin'.........

12 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

Less of a function of chan, and more a function of the others on this list... if McDermott goes 0-16 the next 3 seasons he still comes out #1 on this list. 

He’s ineligible to be on the list.. he broke the curse. The purpose of the thread is to rate drought coaches. 

6 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Chan made a pretty good offense from a 7th Round QB, an undrafted RB and a 7th Round WR work. 

I actually think the year Ponder came out we intended on taking him in the 2nd Round yet the Vikings beat us to it by taking him in the first. 

And first rounder CJ Spiller. Lets be honest. 

Edited by Idandria

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...this fraud and the word "coaches" in the SAME sentence is an oxymoron....yet OBD took the bait thanks to Brandon...SMH......

WTF ?

You used to be a staunch defender of all things Brandon ... You've changed my friend.

8 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

WTF ?

You used to be a staunch defender of all things Brandon ... You've changed my friend.

...hiring of Wrecks is defending the indefensible...I HATED it from Day 1 and Brandon was responsible.........

Marrone

Jauron

Ryan

Mularkey

Gailey

Williams

Gailey is low because we had such terrible defenses in his time here - didn't seem to have or want to have a grasp on that side of the ball.  His offensese were a bit overrated as well. 

Jauron did 7-9 magic with 3-13 teams. 

Marrone almost got us there. 

Ryan did 8-8 magic with 10-6 teams but he was a .500 coach here so i can't totally hate on the guy. 

Williams just destroyed the teams construction getting his guys and set us back.  Defensive Whiz who coached some bad defenses.

Mularkey was a JAG.  Marrone light.

Edited by dneveu

Rex Ryan is a football genius. That being said, the day he was hired I said he would be successful if

1) He didn't let his ego get in the way, and try to revamp the defense. Keep it exactly as Schwarz left it. and

B) He had any sense of discipline. I always thought Rex seemed to be a "likable" guy. But he seemed to care more about being his players friend than their coach/boss. 

I feel like Marrone was too much of a hardass, and they over-corrected it with Rex. McD seems to have the perfect balance of discipline, while still maintaining respect for his players and not being a dictator.