Eric Wood, 6/1 cut & Roster Addition

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

A player who retires is required to pay back the unamortized SB if the team requests it, but typically they don't.  However in this case, he's getting his 2018 $5M salary fully guaranteed, which isn't typical.  I suppose that Wood could say he's not retiring, but he basically said that he has to retire.  It will be interesting to see which way this goes. 

This is more my reading of the situation. Perhaps he wasn't to risk it and the teams doctor's have decided he just can't be allowed to do that. How does that work? Their is such a gray area that exists in this and you add in the nature of the retirement, more so imposed on wood due to circumstance rather than just walking away healthy. It's easy to see how it got messy, and everyone can have a different view.

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I hope they can work it out. I can see both sides. Find a middle ground. 

I could see them asking for him to pay back next (his last) year's unamortized SB of $2.167M.  He gets to keep this year's and gets the $5M base salary.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

From what he said himself and the serious neck injury, I can’t believe he’ll ever come back as it sounded serious.

No one is suggesting he will play again.

It's a legal issue regarding how his "departure from the team" will be labeled.

15 hours ago, Doc said:

A player who retires is required to pay back the unamortized SB if the team requests it, but typically they don't.  However in this case, he's getting his 2018 $5M salary fully guaranteed, which isn't typical.  I suppose that Wood could say he's not retiring, but he basically said that he has to retire.  It will be interesting to see which way this goes. 

14 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

This is more my reading of the situation. Perhaps he wasn't to risk it and the teams doctor's have decided he just can't be allowed to do that. How does that work? Their is such a gray area that exists in this and you add in the nature of the retirement, more so imposed on wood due to circumstance rather than just walking away healthy. It's easy to see how it got messy, and everyone can have a different view.

I see it this way.  Wood will retire but not because he doesn't want to play (ie Barry Sanders situation).  He wants to retire because of a career ending injury.

If the injury wasn't that bad he would be an IR candidate and as a fully vested veteran he would be eligible for all his 2018 money.

It seems to me that having a career ending injury nothing would change here and he is eligible for all his 2018 money.  The only thing that could

be in question would be his 2019 signing bonus.  If he was cut outright or injured (IR)/released as a vet he would get the signing bonus.  There could be

some sort of "injury settlement" over next years bonus but I kind of doubt it.

As of now the Bills are responsible for his "treatments" health care etc.  Both parties have had time to discuss this (lawyers, agents, NFLPA reps) that I

expect this to be settled quickly.  I hope!

2 hours ago, john wawrow said:

unlikely this will happen tomorrow (Friday), though Bills do want to gain the additional cap space sooner than later.

jw

Well. Things changed.

How's that for finding it out it wasn't going to happen, before finding out it actually was.

jw

My apologies on the confusion, but just going on what I was told at 1:30 and then again after 4.

Edited by john wawrow
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

Thanks JW. You mention they want to money. Any indication that they are going to put it to use in the short term? Perhaps on the OL?

Anyone care to explain the cap ramifications? 

I will message Bumbles247 and get back to you on this he is a capologist extrordinaire. And likely someone here may reply first.

1 minute ago, muppy said:

I will message Bumbles247 and get back to you on this he is a capologist extrordinaire. And likely someone here may reply first.

Oldtimer already got a reply from Bumbles in another thread on this.

Bumbles said the best the Bills could get in 2018 is $400,000 in cap savings and he didn't even think that would happen.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Why should he give anything back? Double dipping? What are you talking about? That would be him getting cut, them signing with another team, failing a physical and being paid by both.

The guy was hurt fulfilling his contract for a business worth billions. He shouldn't give a !@#$ing penny back.

The multimillionaire "was hurt" but you make him sound like a laborer at Galleria Mall. His signing bonus is more than you'll make in your lifetime. Remind me not to hire a callous mercenary such as yourself.