NFL's Best Kept Secrets: Jordan Poyer

The Bleacher Report did an article about the best kept secrets in the NFL. After slamming the Bills, the authors names Jordan Poyer as under-appreciated.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2776881-the-best-kept-secret-on-every-nfl-roster?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial#slide4

It's difficult to find a hidden gem in Buffalo. Their top players are either paid to be top players or were high draft picks. There isn't a Day 3 pick who emerged as a homegrown rookie contract stud on this Bills roster.

A player who is underappreciated, though, is safety Jordan Poyer. Like fellow safety Micah Hyde, Poyer signed a free-agent contract with Buffalo last offseason. After he posted just 10 starts, two interceptions and six pass deflections in four seasons in Cleveland, Poyer's first year in Buffalo included career highs of 15 starts, five interceptions and 13 pass deflections.

Poyer, Hyde and Tre'Davious White, a first-round rookie cornerback, gave the Bills secondary a facelift in 2017. Poyer's contribution to that trio should not be overlooked.

21 minutes ago, OutOfBubbleGum said:

Kyle Williams? Round 5?

I can only think the author did not due his homework since Kyle was probably drafted when the author was in High School.

Kyle might go down as one of the best value picks by the Bills all time. Some of you  that watched the Bills from the 60's and 70's can correct me or give better instances. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I can only think the author did not due his homework since Kyle was probably drafted when the author was in High School.

Kyle might go down as one of the best value picks by the Bills all time. Some of you  that watched the Bills from the 60's and 70's can correct me or give better instances. 

Tom Sestek is on the Bills Wall Of Fame and is one of the best dlineman of his ERA

he was drafted in the 17th round 

• Like (+1) 1

To be fair I think the author was only evaluating rookie contract and inexpensive players to find value type gems. Williams is an awesome pick, but he is paid well, and is no longer on the money saving rookie deal.

From this regime I think Milano was their best value pick so far.

4 minutes ago, mykidsdad said:

To be fair I think the author was only evaluating rookie contract and inexpensive players to find value type gems. Williams is an awesome pick, but he is paid well, and is no longer on the money saving rookie deal.

From this regime I think Milano was their best value pick so far.

This regime barely has one draft. Beane wasn't even here for last year's draft. Not much to go on yet.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Matt Milano might qualify bybthis seemingly arbitrary ‘hidden gem’ criteria.

Also Hyde Was really rotational guy in GB. He’s not all that different than Poyer imo 

The difference would be that Hyde had better production with the Packers than Poyer did with the Browns.

On 5/24/2018 at 9:12 AM, BrotherChazz said:

The Bleacher Report did an article about the best kept secrets in the NFL. After slamming the Bills, the authors names Jordan Poyer as under-appreciated.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2776881-the-best-kept-secret-on-every-nfl-roster?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial#slide4

It's difficult to find a hidden gem in Buffalo. Their top players are either paid to be top players or were high draft picks. There isn't a Day 3 pick who emerged as a homegrown rookie contract stud on this Bills roster.

A player who is underappreciated, though, is safety Jordan Poyer. Like fellow safety Micah Hyde, Poyer signed a free-agent contract with Buffalo last offseason. After he posted just 10 starts, two interceptions and six pass deflections in four seasons in Cleveland, Poyer's first year in Buffalo included career highs of 15 starts, five interceptions and 13 pass deflections.

Poyer, Hyde and Tre'Davious White, a first-round rookie cornerback, gave the Bills secondary a facelift in 2017. Poyer's contribution to that trio should not be overlooked.

Poyer and Hyde for that matter impress the hell out of me. If you watch highlights throughout the year you'll see them encourage each other after a big play but more importantly the defensive back group followed it with" I love you boy" to me that says the blood sweat and tears are there and these guys go to battle and play for each other. That is why I bet this secondary will top the league this year. Haven't been this excited about our safeties in a long time.

Jordan Poyer jersey ordered. Favorite current Buffalo Bill.

7 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I loved both the Poyer and Micah Hyde signings at the time... and am loving them even more now after the first season! That's how you build a team for long-term success.

Really? How did you know Poyer would be a good signing? He seemed like just a depth signing at the time. Nobody knew he was good.

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Really? How did you know Poyer would be a good signing? He seemed like just a depth signing at the time. Nobody knew he was good.

I, for one, cant claim I KNEW he was gonna be as good as he was last year, but if you were familiar with him coming out of Oregon st it gave you reason to be optimistic about the signing. I really liked the signing because years ago I remember him testing well at the combine as a CB and I thought he could be a very versatile player in the secondary if he could stay healthy as a safety.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

On 5/24/2018 at 12:53 PM, TOboy said:

Was hoping to find some Rachel Bush pics in this thread

Briefly hooked up with a Rachel in my mid 20’s. I pulled the shoot after I discovered Rachel Bush.

Edited by Jay_Fixit

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I didn't say "I knew it would be a good signing"... I'm just saying I really liked it. He's a good quality player that we got locked up for around 3 mil. a year.... and he has, so far, IMO, outperformed it.

I liked that they're going and finding good quality players - and not divas - that they can sign for a decent price instead of just going to make a big splash and sign a couple of big names that cost so much that it's unsustainable.

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I, for one, cant claim I KNEW he was gonna be as good as he was last year, but if you were familiar with him coming out of Oregon st it gave you reason to be optimistic about the signing. I really liked the signing because years ago I remember him testing well at the combine as a CB and I thought he could be a very versatile player in the secondary if he could stay healthy as a safety.

This pretty much sums it up ^^^

Edited by CLTbills

45 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I didn't say "I knew it would be a good signing"... I'm just saying I really liked it. He's a good quality player that we got locked up for around 3 mil. a year.... and he has, so far, IMO, outperformed it.

I liked that they're going and finding good quality players - and not divas - that they can sign for a decent price instead of just going to make a big splash and sign a couple of big names that cost so much that it's unsustainable.

This pretty much sums it up ^^^

I remember ppl downing on it because he was injured the year before and came from Cleveland Browns......

Cant judge it by that

If we are trying to find guys on rookie contracts, and particularly day 3 ones that are starting based on skill, not need — the writer was pretty fair. Milano could be a candidate though. 

Hardly blasting the bills or anything though. Poyer is a good honorable mention. I’d skip Hyde as we paid him pretty well. 

• Like (+1) 1