Kim Pegula on a New Stadium: "I Don't Even Know If We Can Get There"

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I don't see another outdoor stadium being built. If they do, it'll be a multipurpose domed/retractable roof stadium, designed to attract a Super Bowl, College Bowl games, etc.

Buffalo will never get a Super Bowl.  They do not have enough hotel rooms and neither putting hotel barges on Niagara river or using hotel rooms in Niagara Falls, Canada count.

Renovation Priorities IMO:

• The structural issues should be looked at
  • Upgrade the field so they could try to reduce number of injuries
  • Modify entrances so to prevent the traffic jams which have happened in past
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

She certainly has less leverage than other owners in that everyone knows they are married to Buffalo. At the same time she took the natural first step of “don’t look at us to pay for this whole thing.” It will end like these things always do, the state, the team and the fans will share in the cost.

Sorry, but I read here that this is the first step before they almost certainly move the franchise. Maybe you missed that. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Raise ticket prices. Sell PSLs.  Cut stadium size to 62,000 

Still will need a ton of money in tax revenue. 

Put that all in a ballot and let Erie, Niagara, and surrounding counties vote on it.  If they want to pay them you get a new stadium.  If not there are other cities that will pay.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Buffalo will never get a Super Bowl.  They do not have enough hotel rooms and neither putting hotel barges on Niagara river or using hotel rooms in Niagara Falls, Canada count.

From the Bills standpoint those issues will fall well behind revenue generating opportunities IMO. The first thing that I would do is redo the entire lower level between the 20’s at least. The amenities there (and pricing) would be stepped up. The weirdest part about New Era Field is that the best locations aren’t combined with the best amenities. That is asinine to me. It would be like an NBA having floor seats with no private clubs or other benefits. You’d have the benefits for people in worse locations. It’s crazy. The best way to maximize revenue is to marry the best locations and the best benefits. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I would also consider a partial roof the way the Dolphins did it.  It would protect against some of the elements, it definitely holds in the crowd noise, and it could possibly help with the swirling winds (a guess). dolphins_stadium17.jpg

Dolphins/Hurricanes Stadium Photo Inside

Dolphins/Hurricanes Stadium Photo Outside

With the $425 million renovations, the Hard Rock is like a brand new stadium.

Edited by Peter
Edit

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

I would also consider a partial roof the way the Dolphins did it.  It would protect against some of the elements, it definitely holds in the crowd noise, and it could possible help with the swirling winds (a guess on my part).

Dolphins/Hurricanes Stadium Photo Inside

Dolphins/Hurricanes Stadium Photo Outside

I have mentioned it before but an architect friend who has done stadium work before showed me designs of a stadium like I have never seen before.  The roof (not really a roof) was slanted to provide mechanism to funnel snow off stands to piles around stadium protecting stands from rain, etc unless it goes horizontal which it does occasionally in that stadium.  The field is open but it is not a "hole" like cowpokes stadium.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

It's not really about the fans, no matter what owners say. 

Bills have to be able to compete financially and stay viable. I just don't see see how they do that 10 years from now without a new stadium.

I'm sure it gets done at the end of the day. 

The Green Bay Packers and KC Chiefs play in two of the oldest stadiums and are pretty competitive.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I have mentioned it before but an architect friend who has done stadium work before showed me designs of a stadium like I have never seen before.  The roof (not really a roof) was slanted to provide mechanism to funnel snow off stands to piles around stadium protecting stands from rain, etc unless it goes horizontal which it does occasionally in that stadium.  The field is open but it is not a "hole" like cowpokes stadium.

Very cool.  I would love to see those plans.  I think that there is a lot of potential at the existing site at a much lesser cost.

As much as I think that the stadium should have been built downtown, I just don't see how a new stadium could be built with any significant contribution by the Bills that would not make the price of tickets and/or PSLs above what the market would bear.

In fact, as I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, last year was the WORST year in the re-sale market that I have ever experienced.  I was a long time out of town season ticket holder and ended up having to give up my great seats.  I could not sell the tickets to the home opener and tickets to the Colts game were going for $6.  If that is a market indicator, I just don't see how the Bills could raise ticket prices much or charge for PSLs.

2 hours ago, Guffalo said:

She has a good read on the fanbase. She is realistic in assessing the general feeling of the fans. Do we want a new stadium? , sure, Do we want to pay for it through higher ticket prices , PSL's and increased taxes? , Probably not. She knows the landscape she is up against. Smart owner.

Agree except for the point "do we need a new stadium?". Personally, NO!!  

3 minutes ago, jr1 said:

renovation is so expensive like with the Carrier Dome might as well just build a new one

The Hard Rock renovation cost $425 million reportedly.

Edited by Peter
Edit

I have many architect friends...mostly because I'm an Architect myself.  We don't design anything without first knowing the Scope, Budget and Schedule that our Clients have in mind.  The true skill set of the Architect is to meet the Client's goals, and get the project constructed on time...all while staying within their budget. 

I'm not sure that I've heard enough about the Client's goals to offer much of a solution.  Is New Era 'broken'?  Is it in the wrong location for its customer base? Does it not bring in enough non-football revenue? Does it need new amenities to draw more attendance?  Are there outside mandates from the League, or Code-required changes? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have many architect friends...mostly because I'm an Architect myself.  We don't design anything without first knowing the Scope, Budget and Schedule that our Clients have in mind.  The true skill set of the Architect is to meet the Client's goals, and get the project constructed on time...all while staying within their budget. 

I'm not sure that I've heard enough about the Client's goals to offer much of a solution.  Is New Era 'broken'?  Is it in the wrong location for its customer base? Does it not bring in enough non-football revenue? Does it need new amenities to draw more attendance?  Are there outside mandates from the League, or Code-required changes? 

Quick side story that you may find interesting.  In New Orleans when they built the arena they basically used the Superdome and scaled it down. It was (and is) a terrible decision for a basketball arena. There are roughly 17,000 seats and about 10,000 of them are upstairs. You can get anywhere from $60 to $250 downstairs (floors excluded) and about $10 to $40 upstairs. They really missed the boat on the design. They should have had more rows downstairs, especially on the ends where you can get “cheaper” seats and less rows upstairs. One more fun fact about the arena build, they forgot to put the box office in when it was originally built. They were pretty much done and had to blow out a wall in a hallway to create something (and it was awful). It has since been renovated.

• Like (+1) 1