An end to Anthem protests? [UPDATE - Augmented by new Anthem Policy]

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

Me?  I don't, but an athlete has a lot to lose when they're intentions are hijacked and turned against them.

They probably ought to realize that before kneeling on national television.  If they care what people think about them, then they shouldn't kneel.  If not, then kneel away, but don't forget that actions have consequences.

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

That's not freedom of speech. That's actively violating someone else's right. They had a right to protest the war, even call them baby killers, what have you. But the second they started spitting, that was assault, brutha. 

You're calling someone a snowflake, when you're the one getting all bend out of shape over how someone reacts to  a flag and a song. 

You completely missed the point.  Completely.  And I'm not even going to explain it to you.

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

And yet, somehow,  out of the millions of interactions people have with the police every day, only 940 males were shot in 2017.

The police do not have the right to kill people without due process, but they do have the right to defend themselves.  

Ok, quick question, how many people who were killed by police were convicted of the crimes for which they were accused? And how many of those crimes would have been deserving of the death penalty? 

Yes, I know this is a farcical argument. And I will gladly debate the shades of gray in PPP. But let's not pretend that there are legitimate concerns that the athletes brought attention to, and that they did it in a non-violent fashion.

9 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

That doesn't make them a hypocrite though.

As pointed out, than how do millions of police operations and activities happen daily without thousands of dead black people?

Your argument is just invalid. The entire premise of this argument is retarded and a social cause meant to distract and divide us as a culture between those with double digits between those with triple digits.  It's...just plain horseshit.

Nice deflection. As it is nice that you realize that you're in the double digit IQ club, the core premise of the players argument has not been "all cops are murdering psychos" is has been "At any time, we can expect encounters with police to have possible, immediate, lethal ends without repercussion from the guy who does it"

Your inability to process the argument does not make it less valid.

2 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

They probably ought to realize that before kneeling on national television.  If they care what people think about them, then they shouldn't kneel.  If not, then kneel away, but don't forget that actions have consequences.

I wonder whether there will be consequences to the owners' action, and whether they have thoughtfully considered them.

Time will tell.

2 hours ago, Yeezus said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/23/sport/nfl-spring-league-meeting-national-anthem/index.html

Wow. What a statement. and what a way to alienate all the younger generation fans. Glad they did this, as now I have an even better excuse not to watch this garbage league anymore except Bills games

the NBA will surpass the NFL in about 10 years at this rate tbh, won't be surprised when it happens. 

:huh:So younger fans support not standing for our national anthem?....don't include me in this garbage generalization. 

Edited by Mrbojanglezs
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Yeezus said:

what does forcing your players to stand for the national anthem have to do with "playing football" ?

stop doing mental gymnastics to try and defend this. it's actually embarrassing  

They can stay in the locker room if they don't want to stand for the anthem.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, nucci said:

both teams get fined by the league?

Nope.  From what I've read so far (and I will caveat that it's very minimal), the option to fine players will be team options, no NFL enforced sanctions or fines.  Teams have the option to fine or not fine.

4 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

War Pigs by Black Sabbath is a more accurate song to be the national anthem than The Star Spangled Banner. If we have to keep it, Hendrix' version would be the most acceptable.

In 1981, two choices for High School prom theme song were War Pigs or Rat Salad.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, phypon said:

You've got that completely backwards, buddy.  By your logic it was okay for protesters to spit on Vietnam vets when they arrived home, because, you know, freedom of speech/expression and all.

I think snowflakes like you and the OP are completely comfortable being on your knees.  Safe places for sniveling $hits like the two of you are dwindling.  You're not the only one with a voice anymore. 

The "spitting on returning vets" story is a MYTH trumpeted by the right wing to discredit opponents of the war. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spitting_Image

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

I wonder whether there will be consequences to the owners' action, and whether they have thoughtfully considered them.

Time will tell.

I'm sure that there will be some consequences, and I would be interested to see whether or not the owners are prepared (let alone happy) to accept them.

I would guess, however, that a group of people so driven by the bottom line wouldn't be taking this action if they didn't feel that drawing a line in the sand against on-field anthem protests would present a better look than tolerating the practice.

Just now, Dr. K said:

The "spitting on returning vets" story is a MYTH trumpeted by the right wing to discredit opponents of the war. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spitting_Image

Yes, because wikipedia is known as a trustworthy source.

You really want to split hairs and detract from the point I made?  Seriously??  Take spitting off of the table.  Shouting, screaming, and belittling vets that were DRAFTED to go to war whether of their own volition or not, that behavior is okay though because there was no spitting.  Therefore, it's okay to dishonor them while honoring them.  Bizzaro! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Playing the anthem and forcing the players to stand for it is political.

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️   

53 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Patriotism was never mandatory in America before. That's what dictatorships do. 

Why are you anti USA all of a sudden ?   Have you cancelled all 4th of July and Memorial Day activities ?   

8 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Ok, quick question, how many people who were killed by police were convicted of the crimes for which they were accused? And how many of those crimes would have been deserving of the death penalty? 

Yes, I know this is a farcical argument. And I will gladly debate the shades of gray in PPP. But let's not pretend that there are legitimate concerns that the athletes brought attention to, and that they did it in a non-violent fashion.

Nice deflection. As it is nice that you realize that you're in the double digit IQ club, the core premise of the players argument has not been "all cops are murdering psychos" is has been "At any time, we can expect encounters with police to have possible, immediate, lethal ends without repercussion from the guy who does it"

Your inability to process the argument does not make it less valid.

Triple-digit IQ club here which makes this easy to say, because your believe basically is saying that all the police forces across the country are united to be racist in Target blacks

I really couldn't care less if they stand, kneel, sleep, whatever. What bothered me was the media coverage looking for it specifically and then talking about it for the next 30+ minutes. If a guy wants to kneel and my kid notices and asks why then that's a conversation that I can have, but I don't need to be told who's doing it, how many, why that particular media member thinks it's happening, whether they agree with it, etc.

I don't know how people miss this point...

Playing for the NFL is a job.  The players are employees of the NFL.

I think the NFL is being generous in letting players stay in the tunnel if they like.  The NFL, the employer does not want to see any of the players, their employees kneel on the field during the anthem.  If any of those employees are unhappy with the terms of their employment, they are welcome to quit their place of employment and find new jobs, plain and simple.

I could start a business, King's Crab Cakes.  And I could stipulate that at the start of the workday, the national anthem will be played throughout the factory, and every employee must stand for it.  Failure to do so will be met with disciplinary action that could lead up to termination.  Anyone who does not like this policy is welcome to seek employment elsewhere, this is how I want to run my business.  And while people might think me eccentric, nobody would say I was doing anything wrong.  I was running my business my way.  There is nothing different from that example and the NFL right now, so I don't see where anyone has any right to complain about this.

Edited by The Red King

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I really couldn't care less if they stand, kneel, sleep, whatever. What bothered me was the media coverage looking for it specifically and then talking about it for the next 30+ minutes. If a guy wants to kneel and my kid notices and asks why then that's a conversation that I can have, but I don't need to be told who's doing it, how many, why that particular media member thinks it's happening, whether they agree with it, etc.

Agreed. The networks used to cut to commercial before the anthem was even played. When Kaepernick started this, it took a while before it was noticed.