An end to Anthem protests? [UPDATE - Augmented by new Anthem Policy]

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

Between this and their persistent obsession with eliminating any sort of violence whatsoever from the game, they'll be lucky to continue to be America's chosen sport.

I concur that the NBA is in the process of bypassing the NFL as we speak.

There is zero evidence that the NFL is being overtaken by the NBA. The most watched NBA game last year would have been the NFL's 15th most watched game.

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

America was founded on protest. Maybe The Founders should have just accepted King George's Edicts or just left the Colonies for greener pastures.  You still don't get it with your anti-American love it or leave it.

The 1st amendment Does have boundaries. If I came to work with a Hitler T-shirt, I would undoubtedly be fired on the spot. Is that infringing on my 1st Amendment rights, or is it common sense to not expect my employer to allow me to be an @sshole?

Less radical hypothetical, if I came to work out of compliance with dress code, would I not be out of compliance and  subject to discipline as per the employee handbook?

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

The same principles of freedom apply whether you comprehend or not. 

Their freedom isn't taken away.  What part of that are you not grasping?  I have the freedom to protest whatever I want on my time.  My employer prohibits me from political actions during the time that I'm working at my place of employment (in the office or at a client site).  I'm prohibited from associating my employer with any political position.  Your failure to grasp the reality of the situation is mind numbing to say the least.  Equating the NFL to North Korea or the American Revolution is beyond ridiculous and so off point.  Straw man on Corner as I'm done with this level of stupid.

Just now, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

The 1st amendment Does have boundaries. If I came to work with a Hitler T-shirt, I would undoubtedly be fired on the spot. Is that infringing on my 1st Amendment rights, or is it common sense to not expect my employer to allow me to be an @sshole?

Less radical hypothetical, if I came to work out of compliance with dress code, would I not be out of compliance and  subject to discipline as per the employee handbook?

The one point everyone seems to miss about this issue is that the NFL is not a public space.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Kneeling, raising a fist, or locking arms in protest is being an !@#$?   Your Hitler T-shirt example is a ridiculous comparison. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The same principles of freedom apply whether you comprehend or not. 

Not really.

You're talking about what employees are free to do versus how employers are free to respond in light of their actions.  That's completely different than a government impinging upon individual freedoms.

You're free to call your boss a jerk, and the government can't do a darn thing about it.  That wasn't true back in the colonial 1700's prior to the American Revolution; it is true now.  What's also true now is that your boss is free to fine, fire, or otherwise punish you for calling him a jerk, and you receive no protection from that.

Am I saying that kneeling during the anthem is the same as calling your boss a jerk?  No.  Do I think that some (or many) owners find it just as offensive?  Yes.  Are they free to place consequences upon their employees for doing so?  Absolutely.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

Their freedom isn't taken away.  What part of that are you not grasping?  I have the freedom to protest whatever I want on my time.  My employer prohibits me from political actions during the time that I'm working at my place of employment (in the office or at a client site).  I'm prohibited from associating my employer with any political position.  Your failure to grasp the reality of the situation is mind numbing to say the least.  Equating the NFL to North Korea or the American Revolution is beyond ridiculous and so off point.  Straw man on Corner as I'm done with this level of stupid.

The fact that a player can be fined means the freedom is being taken away.  It's exactly on point given your silliness of love it or leave it. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Kneeling, raising a fist, or locking arms in protest is being an !@#$?   Your Hitler T-shirt example is a ridiculous comparison. 

You do not have freedom from consequence.  You never have.

The fact that a player can be fined means the freedom is being taken away. 

Dear god, no.  

The fact that a player can be fined means they broke a company rule.

They're an employee. Not a patriot.

I mean, he could be a Patriot*. But that doesn't make him a patriot. It' makes him a Patrtiot*, which is completely different than being a patriot because, well, because a patriot doesn't cheat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Not at all.

You have freedom of choice, but not freedom from consequences.  Anyone can receive punishment from their employer for their actions; that's a simple truth of being under someone else's employ.

Individual freedom means that nobody can take away your choice to say/do what you want provided that you aren't impinging upon the rights of others.  That's not happening here; players can say/do what they want.  Individual freedom doesn't insulate them from consequences.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not really.

You're talking about what employees are free to do versus how employers are free to respond in light of their actions.  That's completely different than a government impinging upon individual freedoms.

You're free to call your boss a jerk, and the government can't do a darn thing about it.  That wasn't true back in the colonial 1700's prior to the American Revolution; it is true now.  What's also true now is that your boss is free to fine, fire, or otherwise punish you for calling him a jerk, and you receive no protection from that.

Am I saying that kneeling during the anthem is the same as calling your boss a jerk?  No.  Do I think that some (or many) owners find it just as offensive?  Yes.  Are they free to place consequences upon their employees for doing so?  Absolutely.

Bingo. Anyone that is still arguing about this topic has their own biases. The stadiums are a place of work for NFL players, follow the rules set forth or face the consequences.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

HAH!  But comparing the NFL to North Korea and the American Revolution is just fine.  OMG....laughing out loud.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2