An end to Anthem protests? [UPDATE - Augmented by new Anthem Policy]

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yet, your brought out the tired old Laughable Love it or Leave it line.  

I'm genuinely curious, how is allowing players to sit out the anthem completely forcing patriotism on them?  And what does a workplace code of conduct have to do with "taking away freedom?"

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

I don't know what makes me more angry this. or the Bills draft Hats!

?

Frankly, I'm upset that the Bills made Richie Incognito throw a dumbbell at someone because they removed stability from his life.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not at all.

You have freedom of choice, but not freedom from consequences.  Anyone can receive punishment from their employer for their actions; that's a simple truth of being under someone else's employ.

Individual freedom means that nobody can take away your choice to say/do what you want provided that you aren't impinging upon the rights of others.  That's not happening here; players can say/do what they want.  Individual freedom doesn't insulate them from consequences.

IMO forcing players to stand for the anthem as display of Patriotism that the NFL gets paid for in stadia funded by taxpayer dollars before the games begin is deeply ironic. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

IMO forcing players to stand for the anthem as display of Patriotism that the NFL gets paid for in stadia funded by taxpayer dollars before the games begin is deeply ironic. 

They're not.  They can stay in the locker room with no consequence.  Try again.

It's a false choice the way I see it.  

Then anyone who's employed has false choice.  They're not in any unique situation at all, any more than the rest of Americans.

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Dude, you know that the whole point of the protest is because the point of their argument was that black people incur violence from police disproportionately. You can dispute whether or not this is the case.

But come on, how is giving the police more money going to have them kill fewer black people? Why should the onus be on teenagers to not scare the cops by existing to the extent that they don't get riddled with bullets?

You can agree or disagree with their premise, but you are being stupid about what you seem to think the problem is.

De-escalation training.  Tazers.  More time at the gun range for police.

Training the teenagers to STFU and realize they're in a losing situation with a gun drawn on them and it's not the time to argue or try to make world star.  Attacking police, shouting at police, arguing with police or doing anything else but what they ask of you is stupid - you can disagree all you want. But that's not where you make your argument of right or wrong.

Thinking I'm stupid is part of YOUR problem. The problem isn't the police. It's morons who don't listen to police and get what they deserve, a Darwin award delivered in a bullet.  

I feel this argument supercedes your ability to converse so, I tip the hat to your bonnet and wish you a good day.

1 hour ago, eball said:

I'd like to know how many of the "millions" of fans who gave up the NFL over this issue stand up in front of their televisions at home and salute the anthem before they watch a sporting event.

The whole damn thing is ridiculous.  The players who kneel are ridiculous, the people who complain about the kneeling are ridiculous, and the notion of thinking the anthem should be played before sporting events is ridiculous.

That's the worst analogy anthem kneelers make. It's a red herring and absolutely nothing to do with the argument. In your profession I know you can construct a better counter to that.

Just now, Luxy312 said:

Then anyone who's employed has false choice.  They're not in any unique situation at all, any more than the rest of Americans.

Why even play the anthem before sporting events?  It doesn't happen in any other professional endeavor. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Is it any more ironic or unfair than any employer that receives any public funding having rules of conduct by which they expect their employees to abide?

NFL is concerned with optics and how that might negatively impact the millions paid by the military to stage these for profit displays of patriotism. Over my many decades of attending sports events, I’ve seen far more blatant displays of disrespect in the stands during the playing of the anthem than anything a kneeling player shows.

The hypocrisy is off the charts. Not surprised in this day and age where symbols mean more than the very right they represent. 

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No one is forcing them to do ANYTHING. They can kneel. In the locker room. Owner's prerogative.

Edited by LABillzFan
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Is it any more ironic or unfair than any employer that receives any public funding having rules of conduct by which they expect their employees to abide?

Are there any other employers that begin their work days by playing the anthem and forcing the employees to stand?

• Sad 1

Why even play the anthem before sporting events?  It doesn't happen in any other professional endeavor. 

Another completely different argument and straw man fallacy.

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

De-escalation training.  Tazers.  More time at the gun range for police.

Training the teenagers to STFU and realize they're in a losing situation with a gun drawn on them and it's not the time to argue or try to make world star.  Attacking police, shouting at police, arguing with police or doing anything else but what they ask of you is stupid - you can disagree all you want. But that's not where you make your argument of right or wrong.

Thinking I'm stupid is part of YOUR problem. The problem isn't the police. It's morons who don't listen to police and get what they deserve, a Darwin award delivered in a bullet.  

I feel this argument supercedes your ability to converse so, I tip the hat to your bonnet and wish you a good day.

That's the worst analogy anthem kneelers make. It's a red herring and absolutely nothing to do with the argument. In your profession I know you can construct a better counter to that.

Losing situation like the black people who had cops called on them because they were having a BBQ?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Losing situation like the black people who had cops called on them because they were having a BBQ?

Don't know the details. *yawn.  Don't care. Your whatever reason of whatever reason is more than likely a noise disturbance or something as such. *Yawn

You realize I will argue the stupidest finite point until you're exhausted right?  Probably good to just ignore my disagreement.  But if you want to tango, start the music.

Edit. By the way. That's a terrible analogy. The police didn't call the police on themselves. The police were called and came.  That's just ridiculous. You can try again but I advise not.

Edited by Boyst62

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Are there any other employers that begin their work days by playing the anthem and forcing the employees to stand?

Pivot city bro.  Don't actually analyze what you're saying, dodge and duck and distract.  

Almost every public school in America forces their kids to pledge allegiance every morning.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Like (+1) 1