77% were wrong believing our HC wouldn't be fooled by the mirage of preseason, but the Allen Era begins week 2!

https://buffalonews.com/2018/07/21/bills-training-camp-question-10-who-wins-the-starting-quarterback-job/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1532146645

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen practices throwing and footwork drills at the start of rookie mini camp at ADPRO Sports Training Center on Friday, May 11, 2018. (James P. McCoy/Buffalo News)
Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen practices throwing and footwork drills at the start of rookie mini camp at ADPRO Sports Training Center on Friday, May 11, 2018. (James P. McCoy/Buffalo News)

Bills Training Camp Question 10: Who wins the starting quarterback job?

For [BN] Blitz and Buffalo News subscribers By Vic Carucci | Published July 20, 2018

Case for Allen

This is more a matter of examining whether there's any case to make against his starting from the very first game. The obvious ones are his lack of experience and limited development while at Wyoming. Those factors could not only set Allen up for failure, but also hinder his ability to protect himself against blitzing that much harder to anticipate than anything he faced in college.

Otherwise, there are a stack of reasons that Allen could very well win the job in training camp.

First, there is the minimal patience, externally and internally, that invariably comes with waiting to see what a prized first-round quarterback can do. In Allen's case, it is intensified by the Bills using the highest pick in their history to select him. Then, there is the fact he is far more physically impressive than either of the other quarterbacks. Allen's size, strength and athleticism have no match on the team and pretty much set him apart from the four other QBs chosen in the first round.

His throwing motion is a thing of beauty, something that immediately caught the attention of Jim Kelly during rookie minicamp. He consistently delivers a tight spiral and his long passes leave his hand with a flick rather than a deliberate wind-up.

“The arm strength that you (reporters) have seen here, that stands out," Beane said. "A lot of times it’s hard to tell that true arm strength on tape, but you can tell. The next step was watching him through the year (in college), and then going to see him play live. The great thing about seeing a guy play live at quarterback is, yes, I can see all the stuff that I can watch on film, but I can see all the stuff in pregame. How’s he interacting with his guys?"

The easy conclusion for Beane and the rest of the Bills' decision-makers was that Allen had everything they could want in a franchise quarterback.

Now, it's a matter of determining the right time for him to begin playing in games that count.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

After a nice long and needed Break away from anything related to NFL football I am back abd geared up for Camp. 

Lets Go Allen win the job and never look back securing the position for the next 15 plus years. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

After a nice long and needed Break away from anything related to NFL football I am back abd geared up for Camp. 

Lets Go Allen win the job and never look back securing the position for the next 15 plus years. 

Love the positive vibes! Hope you're right!

On 5/22/2018 at 1:50 PM, ProcessAccepted said:

image.thumb.png.90a34fcb3afaf4def2bd0717f79fa510.png

Good to see that most here are informed and understand that Josh Allen is going to be developed behind AJ. We drafted him because of his potential and not his readiness to play week 1. That said I understand the people that voted for him to start week one. My question is who are the 7 people that voted for Nate?

Me!

I'm pulling for Nat.I think he deserves a do over!

He's better than you think.

Edited by Buffaloflash

On 7/23/2018 at 6:07 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Those factors could not only set Allen up for failure, but also hinder his ability to protect himself against blitzing that much harder to anticipate than anything he faced in college.

They're gonna blitz the pants off of him just as soon as he gets in.  He BETTER be ready.

AJM is my guess at this moment subject to change.

Edited by reddogblitz

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Whosdaq is back! 

Today’s prices:

AJ $45

Nate $33

Josh $22

McCarron was the least impressive Qb in the spring.  Peterman was dumpster fire as rookie.  He ultimately threw the season ending Int the last time he played.  This is even money.  Vegas probably would have Allen as the favorite.  

I believe that who wins the QB job depends on more than who is the best man for the job.

Who sends up their best pilot to test out a new plane? No one. History tells us to use always use a "Test Pilot".

I believe McD is a fairly bright guy and that last years debacle with Peterman will have taught him a thing or two.

Someone needs to "test fly" our new O Line and our new OC.

I believe that the Bills will start the season with a "Test Pilot".

How soon Allen starts will depend as much on the performance of the OL and OC as it will on JAs performance.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Whosdaq????

What's that???? :huh:

A few years ago WGR’s morning show played Whosdaq (like Nasdaq) in which they would set the odds on who the starting QB would be (who’s da QB = Whosdaq). Ultimately Tyrod won the starting job and now we get to play again!

• Thank you (+1) 1

What I would like about this is that this is the only game I might attend this year. :thumbsup:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/predicting-when-each-first-round-qb-should-and-will-make-his-debut-as-an-nfl-starter/amp/

Predicting when each first-round QB should and will make his debut as an NFL starter

Josh Allen, Bills

Should debut: Week 5, vs. Titans

Will debut: Week 5, vs. Titans

The Bills start the season with a gauntlet; at the Ravens, home against the Chargers, at the Vikings, and at the Packers. Buzz's girlfriend. Woof. In a roundabout way, Nathan Petermanwas the sacrificial lamb for the Bills against the Chargers' outrageous pass-rush in the November disaster for Buffalo in 2017, and I think he could take on a similar role early in the 2018 campaign. 

I'm not a betting guy, but if I was, the +820 for Peterman to start Week One would be very close to a no-brainer. The Bills coaches like Peterman a lot, and it wouldn't surprise me if he's steadier in camp than Allen and McCarron, although he's extremely unlikely to provide the "wow" throws Buffalo's 2018 first-rounder can.

The Bills defense will keep them in games in September, yet 0-4 seems reasonable and a 2-2 start would be outstanding. Either way, that home outing against Tennessee seems like the logical time for Allen to make his Bills debut. The Titans defense won't be brutal this season, but it probably won't be as menacing up front as the squad's in Baltimore, Minnesota, or Los Angeles (units that finished 3rd, 2nd and 6th in Football Outsiders' Defensive DVOA in 2017), and having Allen start in Green Bay against Aaron Rodgers simply wouldn't be doing right by the young quarterback. 

Even one month on the sideline would be much more beneficial to Allen's chance to succeed in the NFL in Buffalo than starting him right away.

During a 'longest thrown ball' competition, Josh Allen uncorks a throw that knocks Murphy and Tasker out of their chairs.  President Trump issues an executive order declaring Allen the starting QB on opening day.  It's later discovered he's still miffed Terry Pegula was allowed to buy the team.

Allen looks solid early-on, inconsistent late

Overall, it was a “plus” day for Josh Allen.

That’s how I’d describe the rookie’s first NFL training camp practice.  It certainly wasn’t perfect and there were times he looked like the inaccurate thrower so many want to scream from the hilltops that he is.  But, for most of the two-hour practice, Allen was on target or close to it.

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/allen-looks-solid-early-inconsistent-late

11 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

So no daily training camp thread??

No.

I apologize, but I am not connected 24/7 the way many on this message board are. 

Plenty of up to the second posts for you to keep up with that :thumbsup:

... but is anyone else seeing Allen just increasingly likely at this point???

Edited by transplantbillsfan