Incognito's Retirement? [update: Now Released]

The Buffalo Bills released guard Richie Incognito from the reserve/retired list Monday, the team announced.

Incognito told the Bills he wanted to play again, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, after the four-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman retired in April. Incognito is now a free agent and is able to sign with any team.

The Bills placed Incognito on the retired list April 12, two days after Incognito informed the NFL Players Association in a tweet that he was "done" playing football.

Incognito, 34, later told The Buffalo News that he made the decision for health-related reasons, saying, "My liver and kidneys are shutting down. The stress is killing me."

The retirement came after Incognito and the Bills agreed to a renegotiated contract in March that included a $1.7 million pay cut in 2018, which would have been the final season of his contract. Days before retiring in April, Incognito fired his agent, David Dunn, in a tweet.

At the time of his retirement, Incognito remained under investigation by the NFL for an allegation made by Jacksonville Jaguars defensive lineman Yannick Ngakoue that Incognito used racial slurs during the Bills' AFC wild-card playoff loss to the Jaguars in January.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

You want an uncommitted player protecting our QB of the future?

That sounds scary

As I said, there has to be a middle ground.

The scarier thing is the state of our offensive line.  If I were Shady, AJ, or Josh, I may want to consider getting some additional life insurance.

Just now, Peter said:

The scarier thing is the state of our offensive line.  If I were Shady, AJ, or Josh, I may want to consider getting some additional life insurance.

I feel a bad hammy coming on.....

Kidding, I’m hoping we find a few hidden gems and this works out just fine. 

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Groy can handle it.  We actually get bigger and stronger at the position (and younger)

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You want an uncommitted player protecting our QB of the future?

That sounds scary

He was uncommitted in the off season.  Not during a game.  Big difference no? 

I heard he regretted the pay cut.  Not sure if 1.7 mil was too much.  I dont know the cap situation that well. 

In the past several months, we have lost four offensive linemen who have started for the Bills over the past few years.  We have gone from having a very good line to one that is questionable at best.  As presently constituted, it does not instill a lot of confidence (particularly for our RBs and QBs).

Just now, nedboy7 said:

I heard he regretted the pay cut.  Not sure if 1.7 mil was too much.  I dont know the cap situation that well. 

In all honesty Ned...and this is just my opinion

When a player starts talking about retirement?   Its time to move on from them.  I feel its better to get the next man up then worry about what is going on in his mind (which sounds whack a doo) and heart (maybe he really doesnt want to play football)

I will say something else about incognito for those that have not followed his career......while he has given up us several productive years prior to that he was a head case player that you didnt know what you were getting year to year and that is why teams were releasing him.

I am starting to wonder if Cog is on medication that if he doesnt take it then he has episodes like this that has actually caused him to be released from prior teams.  In any case I want the hogs that have to handle the Suh's of the league to be committed to what they are doing.....one lapse and we are looking at a 1st round investment go up in smoke.

• Like (+1) 1

Considering his past he might find the market for a 35 year old wacko a little tough.

Keep in mind, Buffalo was the onlt team interested the last time.....was begging for a chance.

Word gets around pretty fast with GM's, a black ball wouldn't really surprise anyone.

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

...then why not "just say no" and refuse to sign the deal?.....why rant POST SIGNING and make an azz of yourself?.....but it may not matter to him......firing his agent pointed the blame in the wrong direction....look in the mirror Richie.....the BIC was in your hand.....

• Like (+1) 1

The odd story of the 2018 offseason for the Buffalo Bills and offensive lineman Richie Incognito has reached its conclusion. After previously saying that he would retire from the National Football League still with one year to go on his contract with the Bills, it appears that retirement won’t last long — at least not as it stands today.

However, his return just won’t be with the Buffalo Bills.

The team elected to release him from the reserve/retired list, which now means that Incognito will become an unrestricted free agent and will be able to sign with any team that he chooses. By releasing him, the bonus money the Bills had previously paid to the offensive lineman can no longer be recouped.
  • Like (+1) 1

If Richie really called Pegula with a drunken tirade, was it Richie is a fool, or crazy like a fox? He DID get his way when he threatened to return. Would that have happened without “the call”? 

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

In all honesty Ned...and this is just my opinion

When a player starts talking about retirement?   Its time to move on from them.  I feel its better to get the next man up then worry about what is going on in his mind (which sounds whack a doo) and heart (maybe he really doesnt want to play football)

I will say something else about incognito for those that have not followed his career......while he has given up us several productive years prior to that he was a head case player that you didnt know what you were getting year to year and that is why teams were releasing him.

I am starting to wonder if Cog is on medication that if he doesnt take it then he has episodes like this that has actually caused him to be released from prior teams.  In any case I want the hogs that have to handle the Suh's of the league to be committed to what they are doing.....one lapse and we are looking at a 1st round investment go up in smoke.

He was trying to create leverage after he had buyer's remorse on the restructured deal.

Guess what?  He was successful.  He was able to maneuver his way out of the deal.  We will see if he gets a better contract. 

In my view, we cannot afford to lose offensive linemen . . . especially one that went to the pro bowl last year and has the trust of our best offensive weapon.

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

In the past several months, we have lost four offensive linemen who have started for the Bills over the past few years.  We have gone from having a very good line to one that is questionable at best.  As presently constituted, it does not instill a lot of confidence (particularly for our RBs and QBs).

So I have

Glenn (who has not been healthy)

Cog (who had a mental break down of some sort)

Wood (the one that hurts the most to me....injury related)

Who is the 4th player?

I am okay with moving on but I worry about him staying in the AFCE and hurting us. Ideally he goes to the Vikes or something or returns elsewhere in the NFC. He is still immensely talented and fully capable of starting anywhere in the NFL... Otherwise, I am all for moving forward (I would rather have waited until next year but what are you going to do) with Wyatt Teller and whomever else next year. Thanks for the memories Richie and bringing some nastiness back to B-lo when we were DESPERATE for some tenacity on our OL was really something to see (top 5 rushing attack in the NFL). It's too bad you got weird in the end however, it is unlikely any of us will ever know why. Hasta la vista Richie!

#justsayNOtotheAFC

RI68.thumb.jpg.d42067f1af549fc587ed0165dc450a03.jpg

• Like (+1) 2