Is "faith" a requirement under McD?

eball

7 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

What about Christians scares you that much?

lol where to start?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for those who actually can and do live by Christ's words. Or at least honestly strive to do so.

But the vast majority of Christians decidedly do not. 

And yes, I know you can say that about other religions, too. 

That's the point. 

2 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

lol where to start?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for those who actually can and do live by Christ's words. Or at least honestly strive to do so.

But the vast majority of Christians decidedly do not. 

And yes, I know you can say that about other religions, too. 

That's the point. 

You still haven't answered the question. What is it about the average Christian that scares you so much? What are you afraid of them doing?

5 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

You still haven't answered the question. What is it about the average Christian that scares you so much? What are you afraid of them doing?

Exactly what they're doing right now in this administration. That should explain it fine. 

The racist, xenophobic, gun-loving, education-hating, environment-killing, authoritarian, myopic hypocrisy of it all. This administration, and those who support it, are literally anti-Jesus's philosophy while unironically spouting his words.

Not everyone, of course. But it does seem they like candidates who are not only moronic, but pederasty and sometimes criminal. 

Hope that clears it up. 

I hope it isn't and I don't believe it is.  I believe character is very important to them, but I don't believe they would discriminate against a person because he is an atheist.  I certainly hope they wouldn't. I would immediately lose all respect for them if that is the case.

I am an atheist having grown up in a religious environment and attended a religious school. I don't force my atheism on anyone but believe I should be able to talk openly about being atheist without any fear of how people will then treat me. Just as I believe Christians, Muslims, Jewish people and any other faith groups should too.  My guess from what we know about McDermott is that he as a Christian feels the same.  

• Like (+1) 1

To suggest that the Bills have a religious litmus test is frankly rather absurd.

McDermott encourages players to open up about themselves with their teammates. Here is what Jordan Matthews had to say:

“Receiver Jordan Matthews took a risk when his turn arrived in Week 4. Matthews sent in the usual pictures—his mom and dad, brother, fiancée. And then …  a photo of a cross, to represent his Christian faith. “When I sent them the cross, I was like, I wonder if they’re going to let me talk about [my faith]?” Matthews says. “Because this is essentially who I am.”

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/nfl/2017/12/01/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-team-building-through-storytelling

Not sure why Matthews’ would have felt uncomfortable if it were a Christian locker room.

4 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

The racist, xenophobic, gun-loving, education-hating, environment-killing, authoritarian, myopic hypocrisy of it all. This administration, and those who support it, are literally anti-Jesus's philosophy while unironically spouting his words.

Not everyone, of course. But it does seem they like candidates who are not only moronic, but pederasty and sometimes criminal. 

Hope that clears it up. 

Don’t sugarcoat it man... what are you trying to say?...

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Hope that clears it up. 

None of that is relegated to Christians or Conservatives.   Everything you mentioned above is a product of humans, not a product of faith.  I would also say that the hedonism displayed by those hiding under the guise of loving education and the environment has been just as destructive to society as misguided faith. 

The Black Panthers fought for racial equality while loving guns and enslaving women.  Liberals spouted free love and expanding your mind while trading STDs and developing drug addictions; in some of the most extreme cases robbing banks and blowing up government buildings.  But that was heoric because it was clothed in changing the world.

Bottom line is people are incredibly flawed and it didnt take being a Christian.  You just happen to assign the root cause to things you personally dislike, which is another flaw in humans.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Is Faith in regards to religion

Or is Faith buy in to what the bills are trying to put together

He doesn't say "Be faithful to the process." It's trust. Trust the process.

He's talking about religion.

But I don't think he's ever said others need to have faith in God. He's just talking about his values. I mean, do you think he'd exclude a good player who'd applied for emancipation from his parents? Or divorced?

He's just saying that football should only be behind your very few most important priorities. If it's Faith, Family, Sizzurp, Game of Thrones on high-def TV, chicks, booze, lawn darts and football, you're not the kind of guy they want.

18 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

None of that is relegated to Christians or Conservatives.   Everything you mentioned above is a product of humans, not a product of faith.  I would also say that the hedonism displayed by those hiding under the guise of loving education and the environment has been just as destructive to society as misguided faith. 

The Black Panthers fought for racial equality while loving guns and enslaving women.  Liberals spouted free love and expanding your mind while trading STDs and developing drug addictions; in some of the most extreme cases robbing banks and blowing up government buildings.  But that was heoric because it was clothed in changing the world.

Bottom line is people are incredibly flawed and it didnt take being a Christian.  You just happen to assign the root cause to things you personally dislike, which is another flaw in humans.

this

12 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

He doesn't say "Be faithful to the process." It's trust. Trust the process.

He's talking about religion.

But I don't think he's ever said others need to have faith in God. He's just talking about his values. I mean, do you think he'd exclude a good player who'd applied for emancipation from his parents? Or divorced?

He's just saying that football should only be behind your very few most important priorities. If it's Faith, Family, Sizzurp, Game of Thrones on high-def TV, chicks, booze, lawn darts and football, you're not the kind of guy they want.

and this

And then there is Bear Bryant.

“I was curious about the role faith and religion played on his Alabama teams and asked Nathan how often legendary Crimson Tide coach Bear Bryant discussed the topics.

“He made us go to church,” Nathan recalled. “He brought around the people we needed to be around – the chaplains, the preachers. He talked about it all the time because he believed in family and he tried to create that family atmosphere.””

http://gridironnow.com/tony-nathan-on-bear-bryant-faith-woodlawn/

Virginia coach Tony Bennett.

“Coach Bennett says his team is led by 5 pillars — Humility, Passion, Unity, Servanthood, and Thankfulness. The pillars were a creation of his father Dick Bennett, was a longtime basketball coach at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, Wisconsin and Washington State. Virginia players said the pillars are discussed and applied for basketball every day.

They’re so important to the success to our program,” Bennett said in 2015 . It’s not just lip service, we really believe in them. They’ve influenced me and I’ve used them for my program every year. I think these pillars are what truly matters. Whether you’re a believer or not, those are significant for a team. They’re (posted) in our locker room, and they’re everything to our program. To be great in basketball, those things have to be there.”

https://sportsspectrum.com/sport/basketball/2018/03/15/virginia-coach-tony-bennett-says-his-faith-in-christ-is-the-greatest-truth-i-know/

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Virginia coach Tony Bennett.

“Coach Bennett says his team is led by 5 pillars — Humility, Passion, Unity, Servanthood, and Thankfulness. The pillars were a creation of his father Dick Bennett, was a longtime basketball coach at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, Wisconsin and Washington State. Virginia players said the pillars are discussed and applied for basketball every day.

They’re so important to the success to our program,” Bennett said in 2015 . It’s not just lip service, we really believe in them. They’ve influenced me and I’ve used them for my program every year. I think these pillars are what truly matters. Whether you’re a believer or not, those are significant for a team. They’re (posted) in our locker room, and they’re everything to our program. To be great in basketball, those things have to be there.”

https://sportsspectrum.com/sport/basketball/2018/03/15/virginia-coach-tony-bennett-says-his-faith-in-christ-is-the-greatest-truth-i-know/

Maybe didn’t have enough faith to beat a 16 seed. 

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Hopefully chaplin they brought in administer help to all faiths like military chaplains do or even just provide guidance when asked by non-believers.

It sounds like the Bills' chaplain is very open to providing guidance/support to players of all or no religious faith, judging by the article cited earlier in this thread.

I understand religion is one of "those" topics -- I appreciate that most of the contributors to this thread have been able to understand what I was getting at without making this a thread in which to praise or bash religious faith.  I want to believe that an atheist who works hard, supports his teammates, loves his family, and plays good football has a place on this team.

Buffalo’s own Frank Reich.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/index.ssf/2016/05/philadelphia_eagles_offensive_1.amp

8 minutes ago, eball said:

It sounds like the Bills' chaplain is very open to providing guidance/support to players of all or no religious faith, judging by the article cited earlier in this thread.

I understand religion is one of "those" topics -- I appreciate that most of the contributors to this thread have been able to understand what I was getting at without making this a thread in which to praise or bash religious faith.  I want to believe that an atheist who works hard, supports his teammates, loves his family, and plays good football has a place on this team.

Frankly, I’m not sure why it’s even a question or a concern. 

Edited by Sky Diver

13 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/24/inside-the-bills-team-chaplain-len-vanden-bos-blends-faith-and-football/

McDermott hired a full time team Chaplin just after he arrived.  I think is may have been the 1st time in organization history, if I remember correctly.

I believe the Bills have had multiple team Chaplins in the past.

Yes McDermott hired him along with a bunch of new positions as they moved out the old guard.

There are several articles talking about how every major sports franchise has a chaplain. 

This is not a faith or McDermott decision - Len has been chaplain for many other teams not just the Bills.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Good job reading my post.

I suggested two books for somebody to read.

I actually have read the Quran, the Torah (which is genesis-deuto), the King James version, as well as the catholic canon (which includes many other books prior to the Reformation).

I've read the Pali Canon as well as the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

I've studied Hinduism, Shintoism, Taoism/Daoism, as well as the Greek and Roman mythologies.

Feel free to tell me what books I "forgot to read".

Since you've read the "book that makes a Christian" please tell me more about any OTHER religious texts/scriptures you've taken the time to read prior to making your decision on which to follow/not follow.

Or do you just base your opinion of other religions on what the news media tells you?

Keep on keepin' on your "enlightened" road that I'm sure was the one your parents set you on and you never questioned it or felt the need to see where it was actually heading though.

6 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Why do you care which religion I choose to follow/ not follow? Why do I, or anyone else,  have to justify myself/themselves to you? You are the one that, for some reason ,  feels the need to denigrate those who believe in something bigger than themselves in a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with that.  Why? That's a rhetorical "why", btw. I already know the answer. 

Here, as reference, I've included my ENTIRE previous post, which you decided to only cut out and quote part of it out if context.

I don't care which you follow, I asked because YOU felt the need to assume that I had not read other religious texts before making up my mind on these things, and was being closed minded, so I merely pointed out that I have, and actually done much more broad research than you, who seems to have done zero research into anything other than what you follow.

Good try.