Nate Geary article breaking down why Allen starts this year

I get that there's a "Start Allen Week 1" thread that this will probably get merged with, if it's not already in there---->>>

Sorry if it's already been posted, but I looked through the first 4 pages to see if this article was a thread already and I figure this article is worthy of its own thread and discussion... so for those of us who don't want to even open a 20 page discussion, here's an opportunity to take a quick look at a really thoughtful breakdown of why Allen starts this year... not necessarily week 1, but definitely in 2018:

https://www.cover1.net/four-reasons-josh-allen-starts-in-2018/

with some tidbits...

Reason 1: A serious lack of nuanced route runners (WR’s)

You’re probably thinking to yourself, “what does this even mean, Nate?” Well, the fact of the matter is the Bills don’t boast a phenomenal group of athletes at the wide receiver position. For that reason, you might think it would be crazy to throw a rookie quarterback out there with the lackluster weapons currently sitting on the offensive side of the ball, but hear me out.

What we have seen time and time again on film is a willingness from Allen to make highly contested throws. Doesn’t matter if he’s throwing across his body or believing in his receiver to make a play on the ball in heavy coverage, Allen showed he had the arm strength and guts to put the ball in places former Bills quarterbacks never dreamed of forcing it.

and

Reason 2: Problems on the offensive line

This could go both ways, but I’m putting this factor in favor of the rookie. After departures of Richie Incognito and Eric Wood, the offensive line is set to be a work in progress in 2018. The additions of Russell Bodine and Marshal Newhouse haven’t exactly inspired much hope for a unit that looked overmatched at times in 2017. With the idea that they might take a step back again this season, whoever ends up at quarterback will likely spend a lot of time on the ground.

On the field, outside of having to create something from nothing, the one thing Allen showed a lot on film was an innate ability to dodge would-be tacklers from inside the pocket. The impressive part on a lot of occasions for Allen was his ability to stretch the ball vertically with a muddy pocket using his incredible arm strength.

and

Reason 3: Simple offensive terminology

One of the great things about the Erhardt-Perkins system that makes it so quarterback friendly is the complexity of the language. One of the biggest leaps a young quarterback has to make from college to the pros is figuring out the terminology of the offense. The problem for young guys is not only do they have to memorize the terminology; they have to be able to spit it out quick, clear and concise. Memories of Jared Goff on Hard Knocks having issues calling plays in the huddle go to show you just how difficult the jump from vanilla, dumbed down terminology in college to damn near dissertations in the NFL.

But as it concerns Josh Allen and the Bills, the Erhardt-Perkins offense that Brian Daboll is rooted in is best known for its simple language.

and

Reason 4: Ability

This is the reason that will become most apparent to fans in July. He’ll be able to make plays but more specifically throws that neither AJ McCarron nor Nathan Peterman will be capable of making.

Click the link because there are plenty of great gifs that align with these arguments and an offensive play design for Reason #3 that's interesting, too.

I can't believe the 180 I've done since we drafted Allen.  Before we drafted him, I thought if we drafted him, McCarron had a better chance to be our long term Franchise QB if we actually drafted him.  Now that we've drafted him and I've been inundating myself with as much as I could with Allen's personal and football background, I think he's the odds on favorite to be the starter Week #1... and the reasons above are a few of the reasons I've had in my mind.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I can't believe the 180 I've done since we drafted Allen.  Before we drafted him, I thought if we drafted him, McCarron had a better chance to be our long term Franchise QB if we actually drafted him.  Now that we've drafted him and I've been inundating myself with as much as I could with Allen's personal and football background, I think he's the odds on favorite to be the starter Week #1... and the reasons above are a few of the reasons I've had in my mind.

Seems a lot of folks relied on "the usual suspects" and came away with a false impression about Allen.  I grew increasingly in favor of Allen as the draft approached, but I now believe Allen's floor is somewhat higher than I imagined.  He's a good choice and your enthusiasm is nice to see, though I believe there is medication out there for schizophrenia :P

• Haha (+1) 2

Yeah, I have a strong feeling he starts day 1, whether it's the "right" thing to do or not.

McCarron and Peterman just aren't good enough to hold back the #7 pick.

We don't have a Brett Favre or Drew Brees or even Alex Smith in the QB room.

This shouldn't be merge. Merging threads is so caddy... I'm beyond words. The threads on page 3 & beyond served their purpose...nobody is looking for them. Let the past stay in the past.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

You know the OP didn't actually search...

I'm so glad he didn't 

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

in before the merge.

:eyeroll:

#HateTheMerge :thumbdown:

Moderator comment: if you have comments/suggestions about how the site is run, please post them in Customer Service.

You can also message a site admin directly though don't expect a unique and personal response.

I suggest using more persuasive arguments than "it's caddy" and "I hate"

Otherwise, you're complaining about disruption of discussion by um, disrupting discussion

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

This shouldn't be merge. Merging threads is so caddy... I'm beyond words. The threads on page 3 & beyond served their purpose...nobody is looking for them. Let the past stay in the past.

I'm so glad he didn't 

#HateTheMerge :thumbdown:

I want Allen to start so we can see if he's bad or not...& go draft another QB next year. 

But again...hopefully I'm wrong & the kid is good. But I doubt it

We expect to make that determination in year 1?

And...next year's qb class sucks.....we should be using the picks Beane saved to draft WEAPONS

21 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You know the OP didn't actually search...

Went through 5 pages, actually.  I see from 26CB's link that he posted it earlier in the thread I mentioned in the OP... honestly it's an article I figured he would have posted as a thread, so I was surprised not to see it.

When I see any thread that grows up to the point where it's approaching 20+ pages, the notion of figuring out if an article that has been posted or jumping into a conversation like that on page 22 is daunting for some.

Like I said, if this needs to be merged or deleted, it can be.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Went through 5 pages, actually.  I see from 26CB's link that he posted it earlier... honestly it's an article I figured he would have posted as a thread, so I was surprised not to see it.

He put it where it was supposed to be, since..you know...he has common sense.

15 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Went through 5 pages, actually.  I see from 26CB's link that he posted it earlier in the thread I mentioned in the OP... honestly it's an article I figured he would have posted as a thread, so I was surprised not to see it.

When I see any thread that grows up to the point where it's approaching 20+ pages, the notion of figuring out if an article that has been posted or jumping into a conversation like that on page 22 is daunting for some.

Like I said, if this needs to be merged or deleted, it can be.

Normally I would have, but after yesterday's debacle I decided not to.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

23 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

The "Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition" thread is on page 1.

:lol:

It just takes common sense and not being an attention whore.

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

I want Allen to start so we can see if he's bad or not...& go draft another QB next year. 

But again...hopefully I'm wrong & the kid is good. But I doubt it

Except when you start him too early, and he looks bad, you'll give up on him sooner. Vicious cycle.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Except when you start him too early, and he looks bad, you'll give up on him sooner. Vicious cycle.

Yep, this is partly why Buffalo has never been able to develop their own QB.

Throw him to the wolves and then give up.

• Like (+1) 1