The Bills teams of late 80s and early 90s

The 1990 Superbowl XV team was the best team in Football.. especially in the second half of the year when they started to run the K-Gun offense.  27 years later, it still blows me away we lost Super Bowl XV..  we should have rolled the Giants.  However, hand it to the Giants for executing on a perfect game plan the Bill & Bill put together.  

• Like (+1) 10

I agree with Bills92...

There was an interesting exchange between Parcells and Tasker on the One Bills Live radio show last week. 

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/05-03-hall-fame-coach-bill-parcells-one-bills-live

Tasker said that the Bills believed they had arrived in 1990 when they beat the Giants at the old Meadowlands 12/15/90 and it gave the team confidence.  It also taught them that the Giants were a tremendous team and a worthy rival.  It almost sounded like the Bills were a bit intimidated in their game planning for the Super Bowl rematch.  It's about the first 5 minutes of the interview before the Josh Allen talk started.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 2

Yep, 1990.  We should have beaten the Giants.  I have always contended had we played 5 times, we would have won the other 4 games.

They put together the perfect game plan to beat us and executed well, whereas we did not play close to our full potential.

The next year the Redskins were a substantially better team.

The 2 Cowboys games?  Maybe we could have won one of them and things gone differently.  I never felt like we put our best foot forward in any of the 4 Superbowls.

• Like (+1) 1

One interesting tidbit about the Bills of the Superbowl years was that many people would simplify their losses to the NFC in the Superbowl as NFC teams being their kryptonite:  bigger, stronger teams that could outmuscle the Bills' finesse; that the Bills were nothing more than "Kings of the AFC" during that time.  

However, during those years the Bills went 13-3 against NFC opponents during the regular season.  

No other team in the AFC had a better record against the NFC during 1990-93.  

Edited by Capco
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

You guys think any of those teams were the best team in football on any of those years?

I think they were the best team the first year they went... probably by some margin...

Its a similar story for your Packers when they lost to Denver in the late 90's... they were the best team that year but at least they had won it the previous year if memory serves me correctly...

I remember after watching Superbowl XV..  there were so many plays that if the Bills had did their 'job'.. we would have won that game (not including the obvious missed FG)..

1) Way too many drops by Andre Reed over the middle.. which up until that point.. I could not remember Andre ever dropping a pass let alone over the middle (where he lived)

2) The missed tackles on Mark Ingram on a third and long play

3) The clock management on the last drive

4) In the first quarter, James Lofton caught a tipped long bomb that got us inside the 10.. but If he had caught the ball a little cleaner.. he would have ended up in the end zone. (We settled on a field goal)

and  lastly my favorite one

5) On Bruce Smith's safety.. he went for the fumble by grabbing Hostetler's hand.. but some way ... some how.  Hostetler kept on to the ball.....

Argghhh...  28 years later.. I still get sick to my stomach thinking how close we were too winning a Superbowl.

I guess it will just make it sweeter when we are hoisting our first of many Superbowls starting in 2020.....

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think they were the best team the first year they went... probably by some margin...

Its a similar story for your Packers when they lost to Denver in the late 90's... they were the best team that year but at least they had won it the previous year if memory serves me correctly...

They got whooped by the broncos cut blocks which sucks because those are clearly dangerous and should have been banned when the broncos made a living out of it. 

The year before as well, except they played a pretty bad Patriots team to win the SB.

2 hours ago, Bills92 said:

The 1990 Superbowl XV team was the best team in Football.. especially in the second half of the year when they started to run the K-Gun offense.  27 years later, it still blows me away we lost Super Bowl XV..  we should have rolled the Giants.  However, hand it to the Giants for executing on a perfect game plan the Bill & Bill put together.  

I've always said 9 times out of 10 we win that game, that was the 1 of the 10.

2 hours ago, Bills92 said:

I remember after watching Superbowl XV..  there were so many plays that if the Bills had did their 'job'.. we would have won that game (not including the obvious missed FG)..

1) Way too many drops by Andre Reed over the middle.. which up until that point.. I could not remember Andre ever dropping a pass let alone over the middle (where he lived)

2) The missed tackles on Mark Ingram on a third and long play

3) The clock management on the last drive

4) In the first quarter, James Lofton caught a tipped long bomb that got us inside the 10.. but If he had caught the ball a little cleaner.. he would have ended up in the end zone. (We settled on a field goal)

and  lastly my favorite one

5) On Bruce Smith's safety.. he went for the fumble by grabbing Hostetler's hand.. but some way ... some how.  Hostetler kept on to the ball.....

Argghhh...  28 years later.. I still get sick to my stomach thinking how close we were too winning a Superbowl.

I guess it will just make it sweeter when we are hoisting our first of many Superbowls starting in 2020.....

just curious about point #3 of clock management - I think Kelly screwed up by running with the ball, but other than that, i don't think the coaches managed the clock poorly.

2 hours ago, Capco said:

One interesting tidbit about the Bills of the Superbowl years was that many people would simplify their losses to the NFC in the Superbowl as NFC teams being their kryptonite:  bigger, stronger teams that could outmuscle the Bills' finesse; that the Bills were nothing more than "Kings of the AFC" during that time.  

However, during those years the Bills went 13-3 against NFC opponents during the regular season.  

No other team in the AFC had a better record against the NFC during 1990-93.  

Back then the Bills won home games, division games, and games against the NFC. They always seem to lose to good teams from outside the AFCE. I remember a 33-6 Monday night mess at KC.

But yes, OP, the Bills should have won SBXXV 27-17. That team could’ve have won each one of those Super Bowls.

Had the 1991 Super Bowl been Bills vs 49ers, woulda been the best game of the 90s.

• Like (+1) 1

88-94 saw some strong teams... The guys were ultra-competitive in those days, and knew who they were... I love me some Jim Kelly, but he was kind of  a d_ck back then.

-Same with Andre... Only Difference being that Andre is STILL a d_ck.

The whole team had a humongous chip on it's shoulder, and played with attitude..

Hard to find guys like that now.. -Especially when our GM targets goody two shoes character guys.

Gotta have some attitude to believe you can win in the NFL... Maybe not 'Baker Mayfiled' attitude, but you do need a full scrotum.

Am I the only one that thought the "party on" attitude of the week had some affect?   

Also, they could have gone to running Thurman more and I don't think it was the game plan to run less.   The Giants were very lucky Sims wasn't the QB.  The stars had truly aligned in the Giants favor.

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills first SB was just a few years after the 85 Bears, and the Bills thought they could party like the Bears did and still win easily.  They had just destroyed the Raiders in the AFC championship game and felt unbeatable.  Which they were.  So they beat themselves, spending the most important week of the season drunk and hungover, and unable to tackle anyone.  It's true the Giants played a great game and had a great game plan, but also Marv Levy knew his team's weakness up the middle of the defense and did not game plan to compensate for it.  So the Giants pounded away and the Bills didn't have the strength to stop them. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Yes even taking away any homerism, I truly believe that the 1990 Buffalo Bills were the best team in the NFL that year...the only other time I've felt that way about a Buffalo sports team in my lifetime was the Sabres in 2006

I thought Ottawa was the best that year, but Sabres wanted it more and grinded to that belief.

Still so upset that Carolina was gifted the cup that year due to injuries and a fluke penalty.

13 hours ago, Bills92 said:

The greatest SB game plan in the history of the game, excellent post!

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Bills first SB was just a few years after the 85 Bears, and the Bills thought they could party like the Bears did and still win easily.  They had just destroyed the Raiders in the AFC championship game and felt unbeatable.  Which they were.  So they beat themselves, spending the most important week of the season drunk and hungover, and unable to tackle anyone.  It's true the Giants played a great game and had a great game plan, but also Marv Levy knew his team's weakness up the middle of the defense and did not game plan to compensate for it.  So the Giants pounded away and the Bills didn't have the strength to stop them. 

Bill Parcell's believed the biggest weakness in the Bills Defense was Kelso along with the overall lack of size and reliance on speed and finesse over size and physical play; the Giants, Redskins, and Cowboys all over powered the Bills on both sides of the ball.