Hard to believe all the negativity with Player personnel moves

15 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Not sure how Beane would have outsmarted himself. He preferred Allen over Rosen.

Whether he was right remains to be seen. If he was wrong, will it be a career buster? I don’t think so. No GM is ever 100% right and he didn’t give up enough that will cripple the franchise.

I agree, he gambled with Whaley money IMO. The team needed to be cleaned up it just wasn't good enough. I am suprised we made the playoffs last season with that crew but if you really look at it the team played it's normal season it was just this last season some teams helped us out for once to get that wild card. That playoff game really showed who we are IMO. 2018 is a finish on a clean up season and I expect a step back, but 2019 I expect 3 steps forward with extra money to spend and a full load of draft picks. Go Bills

17 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Let s be honest- the success or otherwise of this draft and all the other moves Beane made last year will be determined by how Allen plays...

It ain’t going to be pretty if Allen busts and Rosen turns into a franchise QB..

I like Beane but he would have outsmarted himself if that happens..

Or Rosen could running for office in CA 

before Allen even the keys to the offense 

I’m annoyed with how annoyed everyone is I’m with anything they don’t agree with.  You know what’s annoying. Trying to convince me everything this front office has done is brilliant.  

• Like (+1) 1

I actually don't think there has been that much negativity other than maybe #34's thread.  There are a few of us who didn't like Allen before the draft and are less than thrilled that he is the choice but that conversation was done over last weekend. People have moved on.  

Beyond the Allen pick - which was always going to divide opinion - I think most people feel like the Bills did pretty well. I love the Edmunds pick, love the Phillips pick, like Johnson and Teller as day 3 selections (though I'm less keen on Neal and McCloud).... it has the potential to be a really good draft class but the proof will be in the pudding.  

15 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Not sure how Beane would have outsmarted himself. He preferred Allen over Rosen.

Whether he was right remains to be seen. If he was wrong, will it be a career buster? I don’t think so. No GM is ever 100% right and he didn’t give up enough that will cripple the franchise.

I agree with you. Beane got his franchise QB without giving up 2019 picks, if Allen doesn't pan out we'll reset and reload and try again.    He also got a fantastic LB in Edmunds so regardless as long as Phillips and Edmunds work out he'll be fine. 

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I agree with you. Beane got his franchise QB without giving up 2019 picks, if Allen doesn't pan out we'll reset and reload and try again.    He also got a fantastic LB in Edmunds so regardless as long as Phillips and Edmunds work out he'll be fine. 

Edmunds needs to be coached up, but he's a physical freak. He was projected as a top ten pick.

Time will tell, but I think this draft was a slam dunk.

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Edmunds needs to be coached up, but he's a physical freak. He was projected as a top ten pick.

Time will tell, but I think this draft was a slam dunk.

With Edmunds they could go in two directions, one they could leave him as a MLB and I think he'll be as good as Kuechly if everything works out, or 2 they could try and move him outside, which I do not think they will do, but I could imagine having him out there, it would make a lot of people forget we passed on Khalil Mack.    

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agreed, but rb wasn’t in the cards this year. I love the backs selected in rds 1 and 2 but I’d take Edmunds over the shot at one of them.  We needed a qb of the offense and the defense.we got both.  And each of them have HoF upside physically.  Hopefully we can develop them. Add in Phillips and Teller and it’s a home run draft. Upgrading Tolbert with ivory was a big one.  Next wear we have tons of money and can upgrade WR, TE, Right side of the line and get shadys and Jerry’s eventual replacements.

Nothing against Tolbert, it sounded like he was a great locker room presence, but they had to get better at backup running back. It'll be interesting to see how the RB position plays out this year with Shady and Ivory getting up there and no young back stepping up as viable option. They have a number of younger unproven guys, so it will be a good position to keep on eye on this training camp / pre-season. 

I love the moves they're making. Not necessarily because I love the player, but because their plan is clear. They needed a QB, so they went and got one they believe in. They were bad against the run, so they went out and worked on shoring up the middle of the defense. They were OK on pass defense because their pass rush wasn't great and MLB was just OK in coverage, so they got a pass rusher, a couple of DT's that hopefully can push the pocket, and a MLB that has the potential to be a beast in coverage. We'd all have loved to see a stud WR come in, but you can't do everything. With the late round WR picks and interest in Dez, it's clear they know they need to upgrade the position. 

I can understand some of the negativity, but for me I don't watch these college players or other NFL players to know enough about them to get too upset. As long as their moves make sense in the context of what needs to be improved, I'm on board. So far, they're doing a great job. 

Edited by elroy16

I can't help but think that Fantasy Football [(and to some extent the modern FA) has had negative effect on NFL TEAM support.

Now, a great many "fans" are fans of players - they support players.

They think of the TEAM as the management (owners, coach, GM)

Support your TEAM? - WTF!

Your mileage may vary

Edited by cd1
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, cd1 said:

I can't help but think that Fantasy Football [(and to some extent the modern FA) has had negative effect on NFL TEAM support.

Now, a great many "fans" are fans of players - they support players.

They think of the TEAM as the management (owners, coach, GM)

Support your team? - WTF!

Your mileage may vary

Excellent point.  

Which is kind of funny.  Given a tool to follow your Fav on FF  why is the negativity to your teams non signings so strong? 

You can always love the guy you wanted via FF.  

The problem is and will always be patience. Your not looking at the final product until after next years draft maybe longer.

You can't microwave a championship team in 15 seconds

• Like (+1) 2

I'm cool with someone having a negative opinion of a move or two, but to sit and say this regime has made loads of ball calls is asinine to me. If you're one of those people, you're someone who equates being negative with being knowledgeable. 

On 5/2/2018 at 7:36 PM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Gilmore ended up being really good for the pats. Tre White s better but we would have had a secondary single handedly winning games.

And that secondary is leading us back to the playoffs babee. Only significant change was Gaines leaving.

I don't agree with this.

I mean I know Gilmore was/is good in NE, but just like Dareus he didn't want to play here and put in no effort. He would not have played the same here, especially since the only way to keep him would have been the tag.

Surely you watched Gilmore his last year in Buffalo, deliberately not tackling or fighting for the ball. Would not hit a ball carrier because he was afraid to get hurt.

Unfortunately, Gilmore's game is all about "want to". He is almost always in the perfect position, but he has to be motivated to play the player, fight for the ball, or tackle/hit the receiver. Problem is, he didn't "want to" when he was here, particularly the last year.

On 5/2/2018 at 2:44 PM, Bowl Winner said:
  • Im just kind of amazed at the reactions to the draft selections, and personnel moves that netted us draft picks and players, and how we used those picks.  Lets look at what happened with Players last season. 

We shipped out Sammy Watkins, and got a draft pick and a good corner in return.  We all know that when Sammy wasn't injuered, and actually played in a game that he was a borderline great receiver, and probably the best we had on our roster.  But he was hurt a lot, and he was a malcontent and a prima donna. We all remember about how he complained that NFL players weren't compensated like NBA players, etc.  Do you want that kind of influence in the locker room with the production he was giving us? He just wasn't the new regime's kind of guy.

With Ron Darby, that was a bit of a head scratcher, but I think the new regime felt he didn't fit the new defensive scheme.  He was injured for most of last season, and he did get burned in the super bowl.  We got a wide receiver and a draft pick for him as well.  With Gaines, and White starting last year, no one missed Darby or Gilmore.  We didn't over pay to keep Gilmore and he struggled a lot with the Pats at first, as well.

When you look at Darius, and Cordy Glenn, we unloaded Darius' salary after he was in trouble with the law, had substance abuse issues, and was late for team functions.  He had gotten the big contract and he didn't care anymore.  He became a detractor and was thumbing his nose at the front office and coach. His salary was ridiculous and a mistake! Glenn was hurt all last season and yet we were able to unload his salary, and trade up to the number 12 spot in the recent draft by letting him go.  I loved Glenn, but who knew how long this injury thing would affect his play?

I also loved Tyrod, and wish he was still on the team in some capacity, but not as the starter.  True the guy never threw picks, and was a leader in the locker-room, but if we were down by 10 points we were losing because he wasn't a comeback QB.  We needed a franchise QB that could get it done and short of guys like Bledsoe and Flutie, we haven't had one in over 20 years!

So going into the draft there was Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, and Allen, all slated as franchise type players and EVERY Bills fan was hoping we could just have a shot to land any one of the 4.  The problem is that we broke the playoff curse and we weren't picking high enough to get one of these guys. Yes the front office traded a lot to get Allen, but big change takes bold action.  Is he the right guy, was Rosen the right guy, or was Mason Rudolph or Jackson the right guy?  Its all a crap shoot.

Finally, after cheering for this team and being embarrassed over the last 20 years, we seem to have a solid coach and a smart GM with a plan.  We will certainly have to wait and see if the players we picked pan out, but everything they've done is something all of us have clamored for.  We were amazed they could unload the baggage and the salaries.  We were amazed that stars were let go because they were malcontents.  We were wowed by the fact that we were actually stockpiling good draft picks.  Then the draft came and now we whine that we didn't get the right guys?  How the hell would we know that?  We've never seen them play at the NFL level!

I love what this coach, owner, and GM are all doing.  Its a hell of lot less embarrassing than what we've endured in the recent past, and yet we still complain like we know how this will all turn out.  These guys take real action.  They seem to have a plan.  I like that!  Could it be because we've been beaten down for so long that we have no idea what to do with success? Could it be that we are that skeptical now even when things do go right?

I know we probably wont make the playoffs this year.  But sometimes you have to tear things down and start over to finally build it right! I can't wait for the regular season!  Go Bills!

Don’t you think though that the negativity around Allen has changed a bit?  While there are still some very vocal detractors, it seems like the majority of that group from draft night has gone from pessimistic to cautiously optimistic.  

I agree with you on all the Personnel moves.  I think there was concern to if Darby “bought in” to the defense or if he could play zone coverage.  I think the Watkins move was all about getting value for a player that they weren’t going to give a huge deal to.  Dareus and Corey were all about getting out from lopsided contracts and establishing a better cap situation.  Yes we didn’t get nearly enough value for Dareus but fans forget, the contract was so disgusting no one thought the Bills could actually trade him.  

All of these moves make complete sense and I am very excited for the future

On 5/2/2018 at 2:44 PM, Bowl Winner said:
  • So going into the draft there was Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, and Allen, all slated as franchise type players and EVERY Bills fan was hoping we could just have a shot to land any one of the 4.  The problem is that we broke the playoff curse and we weren't picking high enough to get one of these guys. Yes the front office traded a lot to get Allen, but big change takes bold action.  Is he the right guy, was Rosen the right guy, or was Mason Rudolph or Jackson the right guy?  Its all a crap shoot.

Not to mention that before the draft, many were ok with us giving up both firsts and next years first just to have a shot at our potential future franchise QB.

Great post, and I agree, we finally look like a team with a plan that is heading in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:59 AM, nedboy7 said:

I’m annoyed with how annoyed everyone is I’m with anything they don’t agree with.  You know what’s annoying. Trying to convince me everything this front office has done is brilliant.  

I too am annoyed with all the annoyances. it starts to wear ones demeanor and before you know it you find yourself being a bit obtuse because of it

Edited by ddaryl