Hard to believe all the negativity with Player personnel moves

• Im just kind of amazed at the reactions to the draft selections, and personnel moves that netted us draft picks and players, and how we used those picks.  Lets look at what happened with Players last season. 

We shipped out Sammy Watkins, and got a draft pick and a good corner in return.  We all know that when Sammy wasn't injuered, and actually played in a game that he was a borderline great receiver, and probably the best we had on our roster.  But he was hurt a lot, and he was a malcontent and a prima donna. We all remember about how he complained that NFL players weren't compensated like NBA players, etc.  Do you want that kind of influence in the locker room with the production he was giving us? He just wasn't the new regime's kind of guy.

With Ron Darby, that was a bit of a head scratcher, but I think the new regime felt he didn't fit the new defensive scheme.  He was injured for most of last season, and he did get burned in the super bowl.  We got a wide receiver and a draft pick for him as well.  With Gaines, and White starting last year, no one missed Darby or Gilmore.  We didn't over pay to keep Gilmore and he struggled a lot with the Pats at first, as well.

When you look at Darius, and Cordy Glenn, we unloaded Darius' salary after he was in trouble with the law, had substance abuse issues, and was late for team functions.  He had gotten the big contract and he didn't care anymore.  He became a detractor and was thumbing his nose at the front office and coach. His salary was ridiculous and a mistake! Glenn was hurt all last season and yet we were able to unload his salary, and trade up to the number 12 spot in the recent draft by letting him go.  I loved Glenn, but who knew how long this injury thing would affect his play?

I also loved Tyrod, and wish he was still on the team in some capacity, but not as the starter.  True the guy never threw picks, and was a leader in the locker-room, but if we were down by 10 points we were losing because he wasn't a comeback QB.  We needed a franchise QB that could get it done and short of guys like Bledsoe and Flutie, we haven't had one in over 20 years!

So going into the draft there was Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, and Allen, all slated as franchise type players and EVERY Bills fan was hoping we could just have a shot to land any one of the 4.  The problem is that we broke the playoff curse and we weren't picking high enough to get one of these guys. Yes the front office traded a lot to get Allen, but big change takes bold action.  Is he the right guy, was Rosen the right guy, or was Mason Rudolph or Jackson the right guy?  Its all a crap shoot.

Finally, after cheering for this team and being embarrassed over the last 20 years, we seem to have a solid coach and a smart GM with a plan.  We will certainly have to wait and see if the players we picked pan out, but everything they've done is something all of us have clamored for.  We were amazed they could unload the baggage and the salaries.  We were amazed that stars were let go because they were malcontents.  We were wowed by the fact that we were actually stockpiling good draft picks.  Then the draft came and now we whine that we didn't get the right guys?  How the hell would we know that?  We've never seen them play at the NFL level!

I love what this coach, owner, and GM are all doing.  Its a hell of lot less embarrassing than what we've endured in the recent past, and yet we still complain like we know how this will all turn out.  These guys take real action.  They seem to have a plan.  I like that!  Could it be because we've been beaten down for so long that we have no idea what to do with success? Could it be that we are that skeptical now even when things do go right?

I know we probably wont make the playoffs this year.  But sometimes you have to tear things down and start over to finally build it right! I can't wait for the regular season!  Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 16
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I just think there was and is a plan

What people dont realize because we actually made the playoffs is we are going through a rebiuld in progress.......we are getting rid of guys that dont fit McDermott's vision and getting guys that do....and that takes time.

And we are going through that rebiuld with a lot of dead money this year.

• Like (+1) 3

I'll admit I am negative about the offense. I think we are going to see some struggling as far as that goes. That is one area I cant find myself being optimistic.  

I think the team is headed in the right direction. I'm confident in that. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

Let s be honest- the success or otherwise of this draft and all the other moves Beane made last year will be determined by how Allen plays...

It ain’t going to be pretty if Allen busts and Rosen turns into a franchise QB..

I like Beane but he would have outsmarted himself if that happens..

Great post, Bowl Winner.

I love what the Bills did in this draft, I just wish that we could have added a young running back to help our offense, but you can't always get what you want.

As for the negativity, it goes hand-in-hand with this board.

Just wait until the preseason starts.

• Like (+1) 2

One of the best posts and responses in quite some time; thanks to all!

41 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Great post, Bowl Winner.

I love what the Bills did in this draft, I just wish that we could have added a young running back to help our offense, but you can't always get what you want.

Hell, it will start well before pre - season!

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Great post, Bowl Winner.

I'm fine with Ivory filling that role for now.  

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Let s be honest- the success or otherwise of this draft and all the other moves Beane made last year will be determined by how Allen plays...

It ain’t going to be pretty if Allen busts and Rosen turns into a franchise QB..

Not sure how Beane would have outsmarted himself. He preferred Allen over Rosen.

Whether he was right remains to be seen. If he was wrong, will it be a career buster? I don’t think so. No GM is ever 100% right and he didn’t give up enough that will cripple the franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Great post, Bowl Winner.

Agreed, but rb wasn’t in the cards this year. I love the backs selected in rds 1 and 2 but I’d take Edmunds over the shot at one of them.  We needed a qb of the offense and the defense.we got both.  And each of them have HoF upside physically.  Hopefully we can develop them. Add in Phillips and Teller and it’s a home run draft. Upgrading Tolbert with ivory was a big one.  Next wear we have tons of money and can upgrade WR, TE, Right side of the line and get shadys and Jerry’s eventual replacements.

50 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed, but rb wasn’t in the cards this year. I love the backs selected in rds 1 and 2 but I’d take Edmunds over the shot at one of them.  We needed a qb of the offense and the defense.we got both.  And each of them have HoF upside physically.  Hopefully we can develop them. Add in Phillips and Teller and it’s a home run draft. Upgrading Tolbert with ivory was a big one.  Next wear we have tons of money and can upgrade WR, TE, Right side of the line and get shadys and Jerry’s eventual replacements.

I'm not complaining.

I'm thrilled that we got Allen & Edmunds in the first round, and Phillips should fit in greatly with the D-Line.

I just loved this years group of running backs, and was hoping we could get one. But, not everything goes your way.

I'm looking forward to seeing our rookies play this year.

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

We look forward to your condemnation if Allen doesn’t pan out.

20 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

We look forward to your condemnation if Allen doesn’t pan out.

My level of condemnation will be mild compared to most here....

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Not sure how Beane would have outsmarted himself. He preferred Allen over Rosen.

Whether he was right remains to be seen. If he was wrong, will it be a career buster? I don’t think so. No GM is ever 100% right and he didn’t give up enough that will cripple the franchise.

We will have to wait and see what happens but I think the majority would say that Rosen would have been  the safer option and Allen the higher ceiling lower floor type.

In my observations, GM’s tend to get blamed when they take the riskier option and it doesn’t turn out.

Of course if he ultimately gets it right he will be a genius..

4 hours ago, Bowl Winner said:

We didn't over pay to keep Gilmore and he struggled a lot with the Pats at first, as well.

Gilmore ended up being really good for the pats. Tre White s better but we would have had a secondary single handedly winning games.

And that secondary is leading us back to the playoffs babee. Only significant change was Gaines leaving.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks