Zay Jones and His New QB

H2o

1 minute ago, Mickey said:

I don't think Tyrod's passes were all that catchable as they too often required the WR to contort himself into awkward positions to try to get their hands on a pass that was off target. I recall Sammy Watkins injured himself on a TD pass he caught that was low and behind him and in an awkward spot (so close to his legs he couldn't extend but had to twist).

That's from the Bengals game. EJ threw that pass.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Imo, Tyrod threw a pretty catchable ball. He knew when to sling it and put some touch on his passes. Was he the greatest? No. The reason I bring this up is because of ZJ and his dropped passes last year. Josh Allen rips the ball on a lot of occasions. How will that affect ZJ? I hope he gets it together and his stone hands can be remedied, but one has to wonder. 

Torn labrum all year.  A healed shoulder should help things immensely.  

4 minutes ago, thunderingsquid said:

Torn labrum all year.  A healed shoulder should help things immensely.  

If that were true, and it significantly hurt his ability to catch the ball, run patterns, track the ball, make plays, break tackles, etc, it was treasonous that he didn't tell the coaches that his injury didn't allow him to be a bona fide threat. I think that is an excuse for his poor play. Sure, guys play with injuries all the time, and it may hurt their production. 85% of a great player is still a very good player and warrants being on the field. But his was close to zero at times. if it really affected his play it was incumbent upon him to get himself out of the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Zay is going to be a pleasant surprise this year.  Only fools would write him off at this stage of his career.

I think there is a big difference between writing him off aka demanding his release and not giving him the benefit of the doubt.:doh:  

What is foolish is EXPECTING him to turn into the star WR that they anxiously traded up for and expected to start opposite Watkins as a rookie.

This team has terribly handled the WR position since McD took over..........as evidenced by the results of Watkins/Woods/Goodwin and the awful performances of Jones/Matthews/Benjamin.    

The only plus move they made was getting Deonte Thompson.......who was just OK and even him they let go.:lol:    

They are counting on a whole lot from Zay and a bunch of UDFA's to fill WR2-WR6 positions........it's almost unbelievable the WR corps is this shaky when they are trying to break in young QB's McCarron/Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, H2o said:

Imo, Tyrod threw a pretty catchable ball. He knew when to sling it and put some touch on his passes. Was he the greatest? No. The reason I bring this up is because of ZJ and his dropped passes last year. Josh Allen rips the ball on a lot of occasions. How will that affect ZJ? I hope he gets it together and his stone hands can be remedied, but one has to wonder. 

Josh Allen?    Two things

1. Lets worry about him earning the job first.   
  2. Not every pass has to be be a frozen rope.
1 hour ago, Mickey said:

I don't think Tyrod's passes were all that catchable as they too often required the WR to contort himself into awkward positions to try to get their hands on a pass that was off target. I recall Sammy Watkins injured himself on a TD pass he caught that was low and behind him and in an awkward spot (so close to his legs he couldn't extend but had to twist).

Where's the banned jm2009 to say EJ threw his receivers into danger??????  

6 hours ago, Tsaikotic said:

I remember when it used to take 2 - 3 years for a WR to adjust to the NFL..now they have to be good day 1....didnt Jones have a wrist problem all season also??..

It was a torn labrum, which is equally problematic. And you’re right, the microwave mentality tends to be over reactive for fans as they “demand” players to be All Pro in their Rookie season. It generally takes time.!

4 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

they “demand” players to be All Pro in their Rookie season. It generally takes time.!

Did someone in this thread demand Zay Jones be an all pro in his rookie season? I didn't see that. I think even an average rookie season would have been fine. If he had shown a single decent trait, that would have been a sign for hope. We go through this every year. Someone has an awful rookie season, everyone pretends rookies always suck, and they're off the team within 3 years.

Edited by HappyDays

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Did someone in this thread demand Zay Jones be an all pro in his rookie season? I didn't see that. I think even an average rookie season would have been fine. If he had shown a single decent trait, that would have been a sign for hope. We go through this every year. Someone has an awful rookie season, everyone pretends rookies always suck, and they're off the team within 3 years.

Then you conveniently forget he just started to find his groove when he was tripped in the Jets game....AND A TORN LABRUM!! Which, you know, effects the ability to extend your arms to make a catch...?!!! 

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

im6Dq4N.jpg

Try harder.

Yup you will notice '16 and '17.  Almost a full season in 17 but in a new Offense.  When healthy Sammy is a beast and went and got a lot of those balls.  I couldn't even fathom his numbers with Rogers or Brady.  He made TT look good not the other way around.  Again nice try.

47 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Josh Allen?    Two things

1. Lets worry about him earning the job first.   
  2. Not every pass has to be be a frozen rope.

Shady, do you honestly expect McCarron to beat Allen out in TC/Preseason for the starting spot? I have my reservations about Allen, but I don't think this will be a problem for him. I think Allen starts from day 1 here, but that's just me. I know that he can throw with touch because he threw a few beautiful touch passes in the Senior Bowl. I am thinking more of those routes where he rips one in there because he has a tight window and sees an opportunity. If Zay let's those passes pop off of his pads or go through his hands it could create turnovers. It's the same for any WR, but I single him out because of everything we saw last year. Like I said before, I hope he rights the ship this year. :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think Zay Jones just had a horrible rookie season.  It happens.  I am confident that he'll bounce back and catch passes like he did in college.

Yeah, how did his college QB throw the ball? Let’s do THAT! 

I wonder if Allen has a reputation for breaking receivers fingers the way Favre did... Maybe that was the problem! My son’s HS team had some kids who had chances to block kicks and punts, but alligator armed it to avoid a boo-boo on their arms. Game film was both infuriating....and hysterical!  

42 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Yup you will notice '16 and '17.  Almost a full season in 17 but in a new Offense.  When healthy Sammy is a beast and went and got a lot of those balls.  I couldn't even fathom his numbers with Rogers or Brady.  He made TT look good not the other way around.  Again nice try.

Do you even understand what you're arguing? Sammy's best year as a pro was with Tyrod as his QB. That is not disputable, it's a fact. Most Yards, Most Yards per Reception, Most TDs, Most receptions per game, and highest catch %.

7 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Name one credible WR that had a better year here with Tyrod than with his prior team?

Or his post-Bills team. Look at Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin the minute they got away from Tyrod. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, H2o said:

It shouldnt matter Zay Jones needs to catch the ball period

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think there is a big difference between writing him off aka demanding his release and not giving him the benefit of the doubt.:doh:  

What is foolish is EXPECTING him to turn into the star WR that they anxiously traded up for and expected to start opposite Watkins as a rookie.

This team has terribly handled the WR position since McD took over..........as evidenced by the results of Watkins/Woods/Goodwin and the awful performances of Jones/Matthews/Benjamin.    

The only plus move they made was getting Deonte Thompson.......who was just OK and even him they let go.:lol:    

They are counting on a whole lot from Zay and a bunch of UDFA's to fill WR2-WR6 positions........it's almost unbelievable the WR corps is this shaky when they are trying to break in young QB's McCarron/Allen.

This