Interesting quote from MMQB, possibly in reference to Bills

Logic

“People call you and they want the second pick of the draft for a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog. Leave me alone. I don’t have time to screw around.”

—Giants GM Dave Gettleman, with what was actually The Quote of The 2018 Draft.

Based on the above quote, the quote from Beane about liking multiple quarterbacks, and other quotes by Beane about not wanting to give up next year's 1st and that kind of being a deal breaker....I can't help but wonder if Beane wanted to get up to 2 but lowballed the Giants. I also can't help but wonder how much Gettleman was asking for.

Now before we go any further: Yes, I fully realize the point is moot now, because the draft is over and done with. Nevertheless, it's a long few months until training camp starts, and we need SOMETHING to talk about, and this was a historically significant draft for the Bills, in that it will shape the next 5-15 years of their future.

So hypothetically, what's the most YOU would've given up to move to the 2 spot once it was known that Darnold would be available? This, of course, assumes that you like Darnold significantly more than Allen. Would you give up both of this year's 1sts, two 2nds, and a 3rd? What about a 1st, 2nd, and two 3rds this year, and a 1st next year? If it meant having Darnold, what would YOU have offered if you were Beane? Was this a matter of the 2nd overall pick truly being available for the right price, but Beane not being willing to pay?

Just thought it was an interesting "franchise crossroads" moment that maybe took place on Thursday.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The only interesting aspect of this to me is this:

If we really did try hard to move to #2, it means we did not want Allen as our first pick.  No way we were thinking we would need to move to 2 to get Allen.

If that is true, I wonder who it is that we really wanted?

For all we know, "our guy" that everyone wanted us to move the world for was Baker Mayfield.  When Cleveland took him first somewhat surprisingly, our entire draft  shifted to a contingency plan.

Entirely possible.  

i'm kind of happy where we are. we didn't expend a whole lot of draft capital to move up and we certainly could have expended more. i am very intrigued with Allen, he has all the makings of a Rothelisberger/Newton QB. if he lands somewhere between the two, i'll be extremely happy.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The only interesting aspect of this to me is this:

If we really did try hard to move to #2, it means we did not want Allen as our first pick.  No way we were thinking we would need to move to 2 to get Allen.

If that is true, I wonder who it is that we really wanted?

For all we know, "our guy" that everyone wanted us to move the world for was Baker Mayfield.  When Cleveland took him first somewhat surprisingly, our entire draft  shifted to a contingency plan.

Entirely possible.  

i see this being bandied about quite a bit of late, re; Allen not being our first choice. i don't buy that for even an instant. i believe Allen was the the one we wanted. all one has to do is look at McBeane's history. does Newton remind anyone of anyone here. yeah, it was Allen they wanted.

• Like (+1) 1

Nah... gettlemans taking a lot of heat in the media and giants fan base for being an old stodgy dinosaur. He’s of the old school where you keep your picks and don’t trade players. 

He didn’t do his due diligence and could have cost his team. Guys like him are on their way out. Gotta adapt and be good at bartering these days. 

Hes is the guy at the garage sale that wants $50 for an old bowling ball and won’t budge. “Scram kid, you’re wasting my time!”

now hes deflecting and blaming the offers. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

It's a good take.

I personally believe if Beane REALLY wanted to get to 2, it wouldn't have been a lowball offer.

Beane would have offered at least 2 pretzels and a foot long 

43 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

GM Speak

Gettleman would be a fool to say that he had an offer of 3 first round picks+ but decided to stay at #2 and draft the least valuable position in football.

The story was that the 2019 1st wasn’t on the table so 3 1st rounders weren’t out there.