Harrison Phillips will be a BEAST!

HoserE

I live out here is PAC-12 country and will tell you that this kid is a beast.  He was the middle anchor of a very good Stanford defense.  Smart, instinctive, tough, physical, hard worker.  The second coming of Kyle.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The even nicer thing about "Horrible Harry" - yes that's his nickname - is he can likely back up Star and Kyle.  Strong enough to play the 1 technique and fight double teams and also fast enough to play the 3 technique "disruptor" role.  Hopefully he can learn some stronger pass rush moves and hand combat techniques from Kyle to become an upfield terror.

Certainly has the brains - 40 on the Wonderlic - to learn the D and a couple positions.  

Edited by freddyjj

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I really like the guy too.  I think the Kyle Williams comparisons are fair.

Taller and heavier than Kyle.  Style of play isn’t that similar either.  Only comparison really is they are both white which is why you see people make the comparison 

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, JimKellyTryouts said:

We all just have no idea how he fell so far

So my guess is 3-4 Teams didn't see him as a true 0 technique nose and he is too short for 5 technique.  And 4-3 teams also couldn't figure out his position.  McD's scheme values his flexibility to backup at either role and we will get a year to see which he excels at.

My bet is he spells Star on passing downs, plays in all short yardage packages and gives Kyle a breather occasionally.

Agree I love the pick.. He is gonna be a fan favorite for years to come. Not only as a player, but off the field, in the locker room(easily see him be a captian in a few yrs) and in the community. In college he was already involved in 2 non-profit organizations (he was on the board for 1 of them).. Buffalo is gonna fall in love with this guy!!

I don’t want to set my expectations at him becoming Kyle Williams.  I Think he’ll be a good to very good player and an eventual starter for years to come but he’ll be very lucky if he has the career Kyle did.  

11 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Taller and heavier than Kyle.  Style of play isn’t that similar either.  Only comparison really is they are both white which is why you see people make the comparison 

I agree. Kyle is very quick off the snap and catches OLmen in compromising positions by getting to the gap before they know what hit them. Kyle is short and is very good at getting under his opponents arms and getting by before they can even lay a hand on him to block.  Harry is not particularly fast, but is one incredibly powerful human being. His wrestling background also gives him an above average understanding of leverage.  He uses his power and leverage very effectively. 100 tackles as a nose!!

Both Kyle and Harry spend a lot of time in the backfield disrupting plays so a get the comparisons. But the way that they do it is very different.

30 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Umn no

Their style of play is VERY similar....both quick disrupter guys and Meatball has always been undervalued against the run

Being white has nothing to do with it

• Like (+1) 1