one thing that has gone unmentioned - talent level on D

Not to be a Debbie Downer but...

We were in the bottom half of offensive yards gained and defensive yards allowed last year.  We've got a lot of work to do.

Even if our defense manages to jump into the upper half of the rankings this season, it won't be enough to carry a weak offensive unit into the playoffs.  

I do agree that our D will be better this year.  But I don't see it as a top ten squad yet.   The front 7 as a whole was not stellar last year and while Star is a welcomed addition, he hasn't been dominant lately.  And I'm not sure we have enough good DBs when you consider there are 5 or more on the field on most plays.

Really hope I'm wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

Our defense should be fun to watch.  They created a lot of turnovers with zero pressure last year.  I expect sack totals to double.  And our run defense will be much improved.  If we can run the ball, our defense will take us to playoffs IMO

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Pass rush, LB and CB depth still a concern. 

They addressed pass rush by bringing in Star, Murphy and drafting Phillips.   Our DT rotation should be a handful, opening up the pass rush from Hughes, Murphy, Yarborough and "hopefully" an improved Lawson.

LB depth could be a concern, but they signed Strickland and seem high on Vallejo.  Humber and Lorax are fine out there for this year with the speed of everyone else.

CB depth?  I don't see the problem.  We have Poyer/Hyde with Bush/Neal at Safety and White/Davis with Johnson in the slot and P. Gaines as depth.

Our defense is pretty loaded.  You can't have studs and starters as depth all over the field in a salary cap league.

43 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

D should be very strong.

Strong D and a good run game is a pretty great formula for bringing a young QB along.

Who are the pass Rushers?  Hughes always tries going too wide...Lawson has not shown anything with this regime

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They addressed pass rush by bringing in Star, Murphy and drafting Phillips.   Our DT rotation should be a handful, opening up the pass rush from Hughes, Murphy, Yarborough and "hopefully" an improved Lawson.

LB depth could be a concern, but they signed Strickland and seem high on Vallejo.  Humber and Lorax are fine out there for this year with the speed of everyone else.

CB depth?  I don't see the problem.  We have Poyer/Hyde with Bush/Neal at Safety and White/Davis with Johnson in the slot and P. Gaines as depth.

Our defense is pretty loaded.  You can't have studs and starters as depth all over the field in a salary cap league.

Lorax will be a downgrade..He appeared to have lost a step last year.

18 minutes ago, BrotherChazz said:

In general, the D is looking good. Hopefully Murphy boosts our pass rush, and Shaq starts producing more. Based on the film I've seen of Edmunds, it's going to take some time to come into his own. Obviously Milano is a good young player, but outside of that we're looking at LorAx and Humbert. We'll definitely need to make an upgrade next offseason. Lorax and Humbert are slow and old. And We'll all be crossing our fingers that Vontae can stay Healthy. 

Lorax was basically the best player on the field in that playoff game, so I know the guy can still play somewhere. I wouldn't fully discount his ability to play Sam and add some edge rushing rotation.

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

Who are the pass Rushers?  Hughes always tries going too wide...Lawson has not shown anything with this regime

Murphy, lorax and probably yarbrough.. honestly like all of them just gotta collapse the pocket more

6 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I like Trent Murphy and I'm higher on Shaq than most.  I'm also hopeful that LoRax will be a situational pass rusher at DE, not a LB.  

I think Hughes had a down year due to being the only pass rush threat.  Hopefully he can get more 1 on 1's this year.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I am also keeping an keen eye on the salary cap. We should have plenty of money and some great  WRs potentially hitting free agency.

My biggest worry is that we push Allen out too fast before he is ready, and he gets the EJ treatment: a freak physical talent who needs to ride the bench for a while getting shoved into a situation with few WR targets and a poor O-line.

Agree 100%...I think we can be competitive with AJ and a strong D. We need to develop Allen first...if the season is going south, we can get him some reps but we need to be thinking long term.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Solid unit seems about right. 

Not a top unit, but a solid one. Pass rush will still be an issue as well as team speed but teams shouldn't be able to run at will on us like they did last year way too many times. 

If Murphy is healthy and Lulutelei can push that pocket back a bit so that QBs can't step up as easily as they did last year, the sacks for Hughes and Murphy will come. Hughes must have set a record last year for near misses on sack opportunities. 

Edited by dave mcbride

36 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Everyone seems really high on the Bills defense but I've yet to see anyone list our starting eleven in a 4-3 base defense?

DE - Jerry Hughes
DT - Star Lotulelei
DT - Kyle Willams
DE - Trent Murphy

OLB - Matt Milano
ILB - Tremaine Edmunds
OLB - Lorenzo Alexander

CB - Tre'Davious White
FS - Micah Hyde
SS - Jordan Poyer
CB - Vontae Davis

Personally, I think that's a pretty good base D. Lotulelei will eat up double teams, which should have a trickle-down effect on the rest of our defense. Edmunds should elevate the defense, if all goes well, the same way that Kuechly massively elevates the Panthers defense.

Keep in mind, though, that the Bills are likely to be in a nickle look more often than a 4-3 base. In that case, drop Alexander and add in  Taron Johnson or Phillip Gaines. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I like Trent Murphy and I'm higher on Shaq than most.  I'm also hopeful that LoRax will be a situational pass rusher at DE, not a LB.  

I think Hughes had a down year due to being the only pass rush threat.  Hopefully he can get more 1 on 1's this year.

Murphy is coming back from a tough injury.  I hope he recovers completely.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

DE - Jerry Hughes
DT - Star Lotulelei
DT - Kyle Willams
DE - Trent Murphy

OLB - Matt Milano
ILB - Tremaine Edmunds
OLB - Lorenzo Alexander

CB - Tre'Davious White
FS - Micah Hyde
SS - Jordan Poyer
CB - Vontae Davis

Personally, I think that's a pretty good base D. Lotulelei will eat up double teams, which should have a trickle-down effect on the rest of our defense. Edmunds should elevate the defense, if all goes well, the same way that Kuechly massively elevates the Panthers defense.

Keep in mind, though, that the Bills are likely to be in a nickle look more often than a 4-3 base. In that case, drop Alexander and add in  Taron Johnson or Phillip Gaines. 

I think Alexander will see the field more as a pass rushing DE, rotating with that unit a lot.

• Like (+1) 2