Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

Everyone has an opinion on if he should start or sit. Unfortunately, none of us know what's TRULY in his best interest and would aide his development the best.

For every case of "Yea well Rodgers sat and turned out well" I can throw a "Yea well Russell Wilson never sat".

What it simply comes down to in my opinion is...what way does Josh Allen learn the best? Is he the type of learner that can watch others, ask questions and absorb it all in? Is he the kind of,guy that has to feel the moment, get his hands in the dough so to speak and figure it out that way? 

That said, my opinion is this. We are a run first team (no matter who is QB) that should have a solid defense. Whoever is the QB to start the season is going to be masked to some extent. If he is the kind of guy that can learn by doing, let him do it. 

Edited by No Place To Hyde
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why week 5? Avoid the tough schedule to begin the season?

Partially that, avoid the road games at Minny & GB, but also I think at home vs. Tennessee is probably the easiest place to begin on the schedule

This could easily go the way of the Chicago Bears season last year where they signed "veteran" QB Mike Glennon to be the interim starter until Mitch Trubisky was ready.  

Trubisky had limited college experience (31 games) slightly more than Allen (27 games).  

Glennon was awful (not all his fault) and was booted in favor of Trubisky week 4.  

In other words, AJ McCarron could easily wind up making the case for Allen to start.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

If there's such a thing as ruining a QB by starting him too soon, Allen's rawness would seem to make him a prime candidate.  Then again, he's used to having unblocked defenders harass him on every play, so there's that.  As for the other guys, I don't consider it a given that McCarron starts over Peterman.

It is a possibility. Bills might be attempting to tank for next year to get top draft pick and easier schedule just like they were last year. :rolleyes:

30 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Exactly...

There are plenty of success stories of rookies playing right away.  

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

It is a possibility. Bills might be attempting to tank for next year to get top draft pick and easier schedule just like they were last year. :rolleyes:

There is no tanking going on, only rebuilding.  There is a big difference.  You can still win while rebuilding a team and that's exactly what they did last year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

There is no tanking going on, only rebuilding.  There is a big difference.  You can still win while rebuilding a team and that's exactly what they did last year.

I gave only possible reason for P5t5rman to be starting other than early CTE symptoms for coaching staff.

38 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why week 5? Avoid the tough schedule to begin the season?

Pretty much.  Also for AJ to add to his highlight film so we can get a better trade for him next year.

35 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

This could easily go the way of the Chicago Bears season last year where they signed "veteran" QB Mike Glennon to be the interim starter until Mitch Trubisky was ready.  

Trubisky had limited college experience (31 games) slightly more than Allen (27 games).  

Glennon was awful (not all his fault) and was booted in favor of Trubisky week 4.  

In other words, AJ McCarron could easily wind up making the case for Allen to start.  

Except the Bills signed AJ for a fraction of what the Bears paid Glennon.  And I’m willing to bet that AJ performs much better than Glennon did.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

This topic is already and has already been under discussion since i started it in april.

Did you write this BillsWire article from today? Nope! New thread! 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Did you write this BillsWire article from today? Nope! New thread! 

Break us off with another Erick Flowers thread.  ??

He’s right, why not add it to the thread on the subject ? 

I think McD has an obligation to the team to start the guy who gives us the best chance of winning.

If that's Allen right away, great!

If AJ is the better QB come Week 1, great!  Let Allen polish his game while learning on the practice field, QB room, and sidelines.  

It's hard for a coach to ask his players to play to win when he's not because he's training up a rookie QB.  

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think McD has an obligation to the team to start the guy who gives us the best chance of winning.

If that's Allen right away, great!

If AJ is the better QB come Week 1, great!  Let Allen polish his game while learning on the practice field, QB room, and sidelines.  

It's hard for a coach to ask his players to play to win when he's not because he's training up a rookie QB.  

The supporting cast would have to be a lot stronger as it was in the cases of the Steelers with Big Ben and the Seahawks with Russell Wilson. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2

On 5/1/2018 at 5:05 PM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

True enough. I qualified Expert on a M-203 grenade launcher precisely because of that. Lord knows I didn't actually hit anything.

(I wasn't bad at horseshoes either. Almost seems to be a specialty of mine)

51 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

Trubisky had 13 career college starts ...

Allen has like 26. So he actually has more starting experience than Trubisky 

• Like (+1) 1

Depends on how well the O-line is playing I think.    If they're holding their own, and Shady is rolling along, you might see him sooner than you think.  I see week 9 at home against the Bears as Allens first start.

I actually think at the end of training camp the qb rankings will be Allen, Peterman, then McCarron.    If Allen doesn't start the opener, I think it will be Peterman.

Edited by Da webster guy
  • Like (+1) 1