What This Draft Taught Bills Fans

We, the fans of the Bills are skeptical by nature. We have endured some God-awful football and have been sold a bill of rights each off-season to keep us buying.

But this all changed with the new regime. We, like the players, were asked to buy into a "process." As some of you pointed out, "this process seems clear," and the Bills organization is on its way to becoming a perennial contender. 

Why? Because everything this FO does is with purpose and passion. They are well-organized, creative, bold, and knowledgeable. Everyone is expected to do their homework, bring their best to the table and give it your all. Those who don't are gone! - We've seen it with last years purge.

No matter what I think about the selections. Each one had a purpose and piece in the overall puzzle. Shaw's Sling It and Bring It post really brought this point to the table for us to see.  Many of you great posters were racing to find info on the pick --- BAM!!!!  The Bills FO had beautiful profile graphics and info and videos on the players online MINUTES AFTER EACH PICK!

That was awesome!!! When have we ever seen this in our history. That tells me that we know who we wanted. We had a plan and we got our men! Granted they may have made 2-3 for each round before, but the point is, that no matter what happened, they know who they were going to take. And that player's unique skill set was going to help in the overall vision of THE TEAM.

This is what they are looking for:

First and foremost, --- You are a TEAM PLAYER. Your not here to build stats and greenbacks, you are here because you love playing the game. You love it so much that you will eat, sleep, dream, piss and **** football. You love it so much, you will embrace Buffalo and its rabid fans. You have the Kyle Williams mentality. You are here to win a championship and make this city proud.

#2 You have EXCEPTIONAL SKILLS.  There is something about you that makes you ONE step faster, ONE hit harder, ONE move ahead of the rest of your peers. We will mold that skill and put it to use in OUR SYSTEM.  We understand how we want to use your talent and you are going to buy into it 100%.  

#3 You understand these skills are a part of the machine. If you are trying to use them by yourself you will fail, because a well-oiled machine needs 11 parts operating in complete unison on every play.  If this breaks down anywhere, we will evaluate and fix it. You take joy in working with this machine. You take joy that the 10 parts around you are succeeding, because we work together. You love your role.  You have THE ATTITUDE OF A CHAMPION.

#4 You come PREPARED. You are SELF-MOTIVATED because there is nothing you want more than that SUPER BOWL RING.  You take it upon yourself to reach your maximum potential. We are with you to help you do that. To become the best you can be.  You want to put the extra time in, the extra reps in. You want to watch the film, learn the playbook and practice these concepts with your teammates until you perfect them..

#5 WE ARE A FAMILY. Know that you can communicate with us about anything. Share your life with your coaches and teammates. Let us get to know you like a brother. If something is bothering you, don't be afraid to speak up.  Become a LEADER!  In your home, in your community, on this team. Lead by example. . (Last years sharing chats were masterful at setting this up) 

This is what the Front Office is accomplishing and that MAKES ME PROUD TO BE A BILLS FAN.  This is my type of team because it encompasses everything our city is and stand for. I'm very excited to see how these pieces come together. I trust it for the first time in a long time. And if there are some growing pains, it's okay because I see this goal and understand we are working toward it with these concepts in mind.

GO BILLS!!!!!

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 23
  • Thank you (+1) 21

The sling it part is what matters.  At minimum, the Bills have people in charge who understand that the team needed a QB.  Everyone has their opinion of Allen. That’s fine.  The important part is they knew they had to get a QB and they got one.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

We, the fans of the Bills are skeptical by nature. We have endured some God-awful football and have been sold a bill of rights each off-season to keep us buying.

But this all changed with the new regime. We, like the players, were asked to buy into a "process." As some of you pointed out, "this process seems clear," and the Bills organization is on its way to becoming a perennial contender. 

Why? Because everything this FO does is with purpose and passion. They are well-organized, creative, bold, and knowledgeable. Everyone is expected to do their homework, bring their best to the table and give it your all. Those who don't are gone! - We've seen it with last years purge.

No matter what I think about the selections. Each one had a purpose and piece in the overall puzzle. Shaw's Sling It and Bring It post really brought this point to the table for us to see.  Many of you great posters were racing to find info on the pick --- BAM!!!!  The Bills FO had beautiful profile graphics and info and videos on the players online MINUTES AFTER EACH PICK!

That was awesome!!! When have we ever seen this in our history. That tells me that we know who we wanted. We had a plan and we got our men! Granted they may have made 2-3 for each round before, but the point is, that no matter what happened, they know who they were going to take. And that player's unique skill set was going to help in the overall vision of THE TEAM.

First and foremost, --- You are a TEAM PLAYER. Your not here to build stats and greenbacks, you are here because you love playing the game. You love it so much that you will eat, sleep, dream, piss and **** football. You love it so much, you will embrace Buffalo and its rabid fans. You have the Kyle Williams mentality. You are here to win a championship and make this city proud.

#2 You have EXCEPTIONAL SKILLS.  There is something about you that makes you ONE step faster, ONE hit harder, ONE move ahead of the rest of your peers. We will mold that skill and put it to use in OUR SYSTEM.  We understand how we want to use your talent and you are going to buy into it 100%.  

#3 You understand these skills are a part of the machine. If you are trying to use them by yourself you will fail, because a well-oiled machine needs 11 parts operating in complete unison on every play.  If this breaks down anywhere, we will evaluate and fix it. You take joy in working with this machine. You take joy that the 10 parts around you are succeeding, because we work together. You love your role.  You have THE ATTITUDE OF A CHAMPION.

#4 You come PREPARED. You are SELF-MOTIVATED because there is nothing you want more than that SUPER BOWL RING.  You take it upon yourself to reach your maximum potential. We are with you to help you do that. To become the best you can be.  You want to put the extra time in, the extra reps in. You want to watch the film, learn the playbook and practice these concepts with your teammates until you perfect them..

#5 WE ARE A FAMILY. Know that you can communicate with us about anything. Share your life with your coaches and teammates. Let us get to know you like a brother. If something is bothering you, don't be afraid to speak up.  Become a LEADER!  In your home, in your community, on this team. Lead by example. . (Last years sharing chats were masterful at setting this up) 

This is what the Front Office is accomplishing and that MAKES ME PROUD TO BE A BILLS FAN.  This is my type of team because it encompasses everything our city is and stand for. I'm very excited to see how these pieces come together. I trust it for the first time in a long time. And if there are some growing pains, it's okay because I see this goal and understand we are working toward it with these concepts in mind.

GO BILLS!!!!!

The Best post of the year, Hands down. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The thing I love is that everything they are doing speaks of excellence. The web site is cleaner, more information is available. The Bills want the fans to embrace the atmosphere. The stadium is even organized better for games. All of the resources and budget seem to be used wisely. Social media is being used with more purpose. 

I am not inside One Bills Drive, but I imagine the employees are all working with more excitement. I imagine that the environment is more unified, that communication is clear, right down to the training facilities, medical staff, even food and nutrition staff. I imagine a feeling of pride in what is happening permeates the atmosphere, (unlike Rex, who was a playful clown living off daddy's rep)

If I was an employee, I can imagine feeling empowered to go in and do my best. I'd probably feel like my voice was heard and I was expected to perform my job with excellence and passion. And I would feel great doing it. This is the atmosphere that great business leaders create. I feel we finally have this atmosphere in Buffalo.

The entire business of "Buffalo Bills Football" has taken a step forward. Those results will show up on the football field.  I love it.

• Like (+1) 1

What this draft taught me, as well as the off season so far, is that this regime will not bend to FAN pressure.  They are not going to pick a player just to sell the seats in the stadium.  They do their due diligence and then stick to the plan, or the "process" if you will.  They go for the player that they believe will help the team win not the player that will help the Pegula's fill their pockets.

Personally I like that.  I have no idea if any of these picks will amount to anything, only time will really tell.  But I love the fact that they work hard, gather their intelligence, do their due diligence and then execute based on what they learn.  Not what the fan's learn and not what the fan's think.

Beane and company thought enough of Josh Allen to risk their career on.  They did all their work and said "YES" this kid is worth taking the chance.   You may not agree but by god you should respect their decision.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

The sling it part is what matters.  At minimum, the Bills have people in charge who understand that the team needed a QB.  Everyone has their opinion of Allen. That’s fine.  The important part is they knew they had to get a QB and they got one.

I agree with this completely.  In the long run, it matters less if the Bills were correct when they took their shot at Allen, than it does that they TOOK their shot.

• Like (+1) 4

But but but I didn’t get the QB I had wet dreams about......

great post. Let’s go Josh Allen.  Work hard and become the best you can be.  Clean up the footwork and be our franchise qb.  You weren’t the safest pick, but you have the ability to become the best of the bunch.  Now it’s up to Beane and McD to complete the process.  It may not happen until we have that cap room and can build our OL, but I billieve

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

Good post and it encapsulates my thoughts exactly.  I was NOT a Josh Allen "fan",  however, the Bills are and I am trusting them.....  or why else have them?  I like their youth and vision and hope and pray that coalesces into something amazing.  Good luck Buffalo!!

• Like (+1) 1

I am on record as being unhappy the way many Bills fans have turned "the Process" into holy words that excuse all decisions, but you make as good a case as can be made for this regime.

And despite my lack of confidence in the choice of Allen, Beane & Co. were right to pull the trigger and take a shot at drafting a possible franchise QB. If they picked the wrong guy, it was still the right thing to do, and I expect they will suck it up and look for an alternative if that becomes evident.  We just have to see how it plays out. 

Yup. The 'first and foremost' point is exactly right and explains why they took Allen over Rosen.  And also got rid of Dareus, Watkins and the rest of the 'me' crowd.

It might work, it might not, but it's nice to have some grown ups in charge who have an actual plan and are excuting it.

8 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

GO BILLS!!!!!

i very much agree with all of this. and as far as #2 goes...it seems like this year they really swung for the fences with their trade up/picks in the first round. both guys seem to be "process guys", but both guys also have that "holy crap, if it all comes together, this kid is gonna be a friggin' stud!" thing going for them.

6 hours ago, SinatraSinger said:

What this draft taught me, as well as the off season so far, is that this regime will not bend to FAN pressure.  They are not going to pick a player just to sell the seats in the stadium.  They do their due diligence and then stick to the plan, or the "process" if you will.  They go for the player that they believe will help the team win not the player that will help the Pegula's fill their pockets.

Personally I like that.  I have no idea if any of these picks will amount to anything, only time will really tell.  But I love the fact that they work hard, gather their intelligence, do their due diligence and then execute based on what they learn.  Not what the fan's learn and not what the fan's think.

Beane and company thought enough of Josh Allen to risk their career on.  They did all their work and said "YES" this kid is worth taking the chance.   You may not agree but by god you should respect their decision.

So what you are saying is Russ Brandon doesn’t have his hands in the cookie jar anymore? It certainly appears that way. Now get him the hell away from the Sabres Hockey Side of things.

Nice post OP! Felt this way for a bit now as well. 

Love or hate the Allen pick, all fans just need to understand this is the 1st QB the Bills have ever selected inside the top 10 of the 1st rd in franchise history.  

Yeah, there is a 60%-70% chance Allen will bust along with Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen, time will tell.

You gotta try though and it's about Damn time we did.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree with this completely.  In the long run, it matters less if the Bills were correct when they took their shot at Allen, than it does that they TOOK their shot.

It will matter for McBeane as they are legends if Allen booms and out if he busts.