RD 4, Pick 121: Taron Johnson DB - Weber State

Just now, Ittakestime said:

In a league of offense, buffalo continues to hire defensive coaches that spend all the money and draft picks on defense. As a defensive coach, you should be doing more with less. 

Outside White and Davis (who's been average lately), name me another CB on our roster...I'll wait. 

CB is a MUCH needed position. We have SO MANY HOLES TO FILL. We're not gonna fill all our needs in this draft. We still have free agency. 

Chill the fk out

• Like (+1) 2

That's where Lance Zierlein of NFL.com sees him fitting in. 

"Johnson's lack of size will drive him into a nickel role where he appears to have the foot quickness and cover talent to handle the job," Zierlein wrote. "He has to prove that he can play with confidence in his technique rather than grabbing during the route and his draft stock could be hinging on his 40-yard dash time at the Combine. He could find an early role as a CB4 before eventually filling the nickel spot."

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/04/buffalo_bills_pick_taron_johnson_grade_scouting_report_for_weber_st_cb.html?__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769545-taron-johnson-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report-for-buffalo-bills-pick

OVERALL

Taron Johnson looks penciled in to be a career slot nickel player who could carve out a solid contributing role with a team that utilizes zone coverages at intermediate levels. He has above-average awareness and instincts with the quickness to mirror early. Speed and size are concerns, but a team can mitigate those with good game-planning and in-game personnel management.

PRO PLAYER COMPARISON: E.J. Gaines, Cleveland Browns

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

Big Sky Defensive MVP as a corner??  Yes, please. 

right on--the kid seems like a great football player who only lacks ideal height /reach and olympic speed. otherwise--purely on football ability he would be a 1st rounder

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm still hoping we sign Luke Joeckel for cheaper than he initially wanted.

Me, too—that or Richie coming back.  I heard that Joeckel was having a good comeback year last year before getting hurt.

12 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

No Bills draft is complete without a DB lol 

Exactly as it should be. Passing league, high cost of good DBs on the open market, possibility of most turning out average at best, we were short DBs ......

I firmly believe every draft should include at least one DB. 

• Like (+1) 1