Why all the picks for a project QB?

Beane and company are idoits giving up (2) number 2's to move 5 spots when the only team in front of them who may have been looking to draft a QB was Miami.  We really could of used both those 2 picks in the second round.  So many holes on this roster giving up picks for a guy who is a project with high end arm talent was a stupid move.  Not other team was going to give that many picks for a project type of player.  

www.nfl.com/videos/.../Soul-Science-How-fast-can-Josh-Allen-throw

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Beane and company are idoits giving up (2) number 2's to move 5 spots when the only team in front of them who may have been looking to draft a QB was Miami.  We really could of used both those 2 picks in the second round.  So many holes on this roster giving up picks for a guy who is a project with high end arm talent was a stupid move.  Not other team was going to give that many picks for a project type of player.  

There were teams behind them that might have been looking to trade up to get a QB. Sitting and waiting is a dangerous game.

Who says Miami didn’t want one of these guys too.

Two solid first rounders out of this draft. I’m fine with using those second rounders.

Edited by dlonce

I disagree. The Cardinals jumped the Dolphins. The fins would have taken either QB. 

Two 2s is actually not a bad price for the guy you want there. 

I have my worries on Allen, but I do not get why people are saying "we shouldn't have traded up to seven because only Miami needed a QB"  Clearly other teams were going to trade up.   Even after Buffalo, Arizona traded up for Rosen.    That is two teams right there that wanted to trade and MIami as a threat to draft a QB ahead of Buffalo, plus whoever else wanted to trade up that you didn't hear about. 

Regardless of competency level, no front office of a team is going to give up extra picks without a valid reason.   The reality is, if Buffalo waited at 12, none of the top 4 quarterbacks were going to be left. 

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 3

This ignorant attitude only happens because you are wrong in youre evaluation of Josh Allen, many had him going 1st overall to the Browns, all had him in the top 10, that's not a project QB, at least anymore of a project QB than every rookie QB should be.

4 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Miami wasnt trading up they were staying put and grabbing Fitzpatrick anyway.

Cardinals would still have traded for Rosen. Allen would have been thete for free

Miami had every single QB in for a visit, they were near certainly taking Rosen or Allen. not to mention many other QB needy teams would have had the ammo to get him before the Bills picked.

Edited by greeneblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

And you can confirm there was no other team on the phone with Tampa trying to swing a deal? 

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

You can believe in him and still get him for less,  look at what the Cardinals gave up for Rosen.  I thought one number 2 and a later pick would have been more then enough.

Just stop.

Not freaking one of us knows how the draft was going so quit pretending like you do.

I have no damned idea how Allen will turn out. None. But people that know football better than I do had him mocked higher than seven in drafts I saw.

Let’s hope it works out. 

19 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Miami wasnt trading up they were staying put and grabbing Fitzpatrick anyway.

Cardinals would still have traded for Rosen. Allen would have been thete for free

Hey, another guy that had access to war rooms around the league.

I feel privileged to be on a board with so many NFL insiders.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

You can believe in him and still get him for less,  look at what the Cardinals gave up for Rosen.  I thought one number 2 and a later pick would have been more then enough.

As has been stated likely the Bills were competing against the Cardinals and maybe Miami too.  So they had to give up more to get the deal done.  Did Tampa play them a bit maybe, would a #2 and the 65th also got the deal, maybe, but not a huge difference anyway between 56 and 65.  Once the Bills made the trade, Arizona likely didn't have any competition in the trade they made so they were able to give up less, plus was a lower pick to start off with.  Oakland also may have been more eager to trade down so took less to do it.  

When you consider a couple of the trades Beane has made, TT, Glenn I'd tend to give him the benefit of the doubt too.

One thing I know for certain is that I know as much as anyone on this board knows about who will be good and who won't and that is that I have no idea, and neither does anyone else.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
add comment

8 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Not in their opinion. Why did they spend what they did? Because that's what they felt they had to do. Pretty simple. 

Were they right? We won't know for a few years. Do I think they're right? No. I think they just fired themselves. 

40 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

www.nfl.com/videos/.../Soul-Science-How-fast-can-Josh-Allen-throw

And you’d be sitting here today calling them idiots If they waited and missed out.. 

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

You dont give up 2 good picks for a qb that needs to learn how to be a qb.

That's nonsense. He may need some seasoning with certain mechanics but he's not that raw a prospect. He was Top 3 in mostly everyone's  charts.