Interesting Take From QB Guru on Allen

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Yeah different levels of development I view Allen as a 2 year project and Darnold Mayfield Rosen ready in 1 year or less

Rudolph may be ready early, Jackson will need a year or 2

Well, Darnold is my favorite, but it's unlikely we will have a shot at him.  If Beane thinks Allen needs two years, I don't think he will be considered.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Just curious, what were the percentages for the other top 3 QBs?

By my account Baker threw 53 balls at or behind the LoS out of 404 attempts good for about 13%

i did not keep an exact tab on Rosen and Darnold because I did not feel it warranted it

Allen was a complete question mark so I wanted very advanced metrics. Baker was in a gimmicky offense so I wanted to see how many screens he actually threw and Lamar was is in the same boat as Allen

I have tons of metrics for Rosen and Darnold but not an exact # of passes behind or at LoS... With the #s i have I would estimate Rosen at around 18-20% and Darnold at 17-19%

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Man, that was painful to watch.    I just don't see the "arm talent" I keep hearing about. 

I don't see a live arm, just a strong one on a so-so athlete...

I mean, I might not know what I am talking about but I saw some great throws in that video that showed power and accuracy, especially given the fact that he had very little time to make the throws. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

By my account Baker threw 53 balls at or behind the LoS out of 404 attempts good for about 13%

i did not keep an exact tab on Rosen and Darnold because I did not feel it warranted it

Allen was a complete question mark so I wanted very advanced metrics. Baker was in a gimmicky offense so I wanted to see how many screens he actually threw and Lamar was is in the same boat as Allen

I have tons of metrics for Rosen and Darnold but not an exact # of passes behind or at LoS... With the #s i have I would estimate Rosen at around 18-20% and Darnold at 17-19%

Thanks. Much appreciated. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, I might not know what I am talking about but I saw some great throws in that video that showed power and accuracy, especially given the fact that he had very little time to make the throws. 

I don't see a natural "flick" of the wrist type throwing motion--where the revs on the ball are amazingly tight and it looks like its on a rope--that I see with elite NFL QBs.   Allen's ball seems to push through the air, rather than aerodynamically cut through it.   The QBs that can spin it seem to have the best accuracy as well.   

In other words, I saw more EJ Manuel, less Aaron Rogers...

2 hours ago, BillsSbSoon said:

There is some truth to this. This narrative being pushed that baker is the most accurate qb in the class is bogus. He is not more accurate than rosen. Baker throws a good ball yeah, but his % was def inflated by a lot of screens and quick flares. From what ive watched of allen thus far i dont think hes as innacurate as hes being made out to be 

This detailed breakdown that charted the success of every throw each QB made strongly disagrees with your assessment. 

Mayfield is the most accurate QB in the draft. 

Allen is the least accurate QB in the draft. 

https://d3d2maoophos6y.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2018/03/06171800/2018-Contextualized-Quarterbacking3.pdf

19 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This detailed breakdown that charted the success of every throw each QB made strongly disagrees with your assessment. 

Mayfield is the most accurate QB in the draft. 

Allen is the least accurate QB in the draft. 

https://d3d2maoophos6y.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2018/03/06171800/2018-Contextualized-Quarterbacking3.pdf

I dont care. You cannot honestly tell me if you watch rosen and baker that baker is more accurate. Rosen played in a pro style offense. Baker played in a system where he made a lot of easy throws and extended handoffs. Georgia shut him down in the playoff game too when they pressed the corners and forced him to make tight throws. He did make tough throws too though. But he is not the same level of passer is rosen is. I dont care what statistic you throw out. 

Edited by BillsSbSoon

3 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

I dont care. You cannot honestly tell me if you watch rosen and baker that baker is more accurate. Rosen played in a pro style offense. Baker played in a system where he made a lot of easy throws and extended handoffs. Georgia shut him down in the playoff game too when they pressed the corners and forced him to make tight throws. He did make tough throws too though. But he is not the same level of passer is rosen is. I dont care what statistic you throw out. 

I agree. Rosen and Mayfield are the tops for accuracy. I favour Mayfield, but both of them have outstanding accuracy. 

This thread is about Josh Allen, and his QB coach making a bunch of excuses for why he's not a good passer. It doesn't matter how he spins it, Allen is one of the least accurate QBs in the draft, and guys like him have no history of going on to be successful in the NFL over the past 20 years. 

Edited by jrober38

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I have watched and broke down every single  play from Allen’s career at Wyoming 

Palmer saying he doenst throw screens is a little bias. By my account he threw 49 passes out of 270 at or behind the line of scrimmage 

that is 18% and higher than Lamar Jackson at 15%

You actually watched every single play of his?.......hardcore!

3 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

This morning on WGR they had Jordan Palmer on.  Despite swearing to God I would never listen to one more word about the stupid draft until it's over, I found his take on Josh Allen very interesting. He said keep in mind that completion percentage is very different between certain players when you consider the offenses they played in. For example Baker Mayfield threw to wide open receivers on more than half his throws last year while Josh Allen's film showed his receivers had very little separation. 

He also said you should add 6 to 10 points on to the completion percentage of a quarterback who runs the type of offense that Allen did when compared to an offense like Mayfield's. 

His logic is that there are a lot of very high completion plays such as bubble screens, smokes, quick slants, even shovel passes that many other offenses run but Allen's didn't.  These are easy throws that inflate stats. 

He went on to say that despite Josh Allen playing in junior college three years ago, the guy is mature and has a magnetic personality, great teammate and he was very high on him being successful in the NFL.   He compared his personality to Fitzy. 

If we do end up taking the kid, I suggest you go play the clip of the interview on the GR website, it will keep you from walking into the lake. 

He hasn’t completed 60% of his passes since little league.  I respect Palmer’s opinion but he is also trying to prop up his guy.  Another borderline nfl qb and brother of a far more successful one, Tim Hasselbeck, said Allen would be his 4th qb.

i hate bashing a college kid but what would you be willing to put more money on,Allen being a good or bad nfl qb?  He was barely a good qb in the MWC.

1 minute ago, twist_to_open said:

You actually watched every single play of his?.......hardcore!

I am fortunate enough to be employed in football so I watch tons of game film on college prospects

i watched Every play on Darnold, Rosen, Allen,  mayfield, Jackson and Mike White... i put my reports on them in The college football section

16 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I agree. Rosen and Mayfield are the tops for accuracy. I favour Mayfield, but both of them have outstanding accuracy. 

This thread is about Josh Allen, and his QB coach making a bunch of excuses for why he's not a good passer. It doesn't matter how he spins it, Allen is one of the least accurate QBs in the draft, and guys like him have no history of going on to be successful in the NFL over the past 20 years. 

I agree with all that for the most part. But watching him i gotta say i dont think hes as horrendusly inaccurate as hes made out to be. For one thing his wr's couldnt seem to get separation a lot of the time. He wasnt exactly playing with a lot of talent

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

I agree with all that for the most part. But watching him i gotta say i dont think hes as horrendusly inaccurate as hes made out to be. For one thing his wr's couldnt seem to get separation a lot of the time. He wasnt exactly playing with a lot of talent

He wasn't playing against anyone with talent either. 

He played only 3 power conference teams and struggled against Mountain West competition.